Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I think Brad has always been relatively accountable for his actions.

I don't see an Ulf Samuelson or Claude Lemieux.

I don't think he's a sparky. That is, an arsonist who starts fires and then runs away.
You just reminded me of something I haven't thought about in years. A looooooong time ago I used to play basketball for the Quebec Select ( a provincial All-Star team that used to play in games / tournaments in Ontario and some Eastern US sites ) and we had a player on the team that we called " Poof " because he would always be the one to start sh*t ( on and off the court ) but then poof - he would disappear when things started going down. :laugh:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
You just reminded me of something I haven't thought about in years. A looooooong time ago I used to play basketball for the Quebec Select ( a provincial All-Star team that used to play in games / tournaments in Ontario and some Eastern US sites ) and we had a player on the team that we called " Poof " because he would always be the one to start sh*t ( on and off the court ) but then poof - he would disappear when things started going down. :laugh:
That's a good one. I think I'll appropriate it.

Remember,

Mediocrity borrows.

Genius steals.

With a much bigger and tougher team I would expect us to have an uptick in blowouts this year as opponents mail it in during the regular season to preserve themselves. I think the Boston beefcake offense will be top 10 as opposing defensive systems will break down more frequently, not because of our team's puck talent.
That would be nice.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Bruins were mid-pack last year in goals. They lost about 60 goals via FA between DeBrusk, JVR, Heinen, Shatty and Boqvist. Elias should give you around 25 goals (which is ~40% of what left). Then you get (potentially) a full season of Poitras & Lohrei. Continued development of guys like Frederic & Geekie. I think in the end the Bruins end up in that same mid-pack of offense.

Plus Lysell’s 27.

😉

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Sure but nothing prevents Sweeney from staying silent. He chose to broadcast no surgeries which was disingenuous at best. I’m not a hater but when unforced errors like this happen I can understand the complaints.

Characteristically, Sweeney stubbornly refused to concede that after nearly nine years of playoff futility, size, physicality and intimidation matter as much, if not more, than "speed and skill."

Charlie Jacobs evinced no such reticence, allowing that Boston's turn toward beefing up their lineup with expanded team toughness represents a course correction in response to repeated post-season failure.

Hallelujah and huzzah!

Better late than never.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
What happened to this guy? He was a sixth overall draft selection by the Red Wings.

He appears to have been up and down with them several times before being placed on waivers.

Any insight appreciated,

Honestly no idea.Watched him with Halifax & thought he was going to be a really great NHL player.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Characteristically, Sweeney stubbornly refused to concede that after nearly nine years of playoff futility, size, physicality and intimidation matter as much, if not more, than "speed and skill."

Charlie Jacobs evinced no such reticence, allowing that Boston's turn toward beefing up their lineup with expanded team toughness represents a course correction in response to repeated post-season failure.

Hallelujah and hazzah.

Better late than never.
You need to get out of greeting people walking into pro shoppe and consult Donny

I want a parade

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Hallelujah and hazzah.

Better late than never.
It's a balance though.The season is long and you need skill to get to the playoffs.I agree that in the playoffs that having what you said really helps a team go deep ,but again you are not getting there to find out if balance is not right .This Bruins team should be good but the scoring on wing is a question mark.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
It's a balance though.The season is long and you need skill to get to the playoffs.I agree that in the playoffs that having what you said really helps a team go deep ,but again you are not getting there to find out if balance is not right .This Bruins team should be good but the scoring on wing is a question mark.
I understand. A fair point.

But the speed and skill that gets you to the playoffs is not enough to sustain you in the playoffs, as the Bruins have discovered to their sorrow.

I would say, this is the strongest Bruins team they have had, at least on paper, since the 2013 club.

Theoretically, anyway, they are strong in 🥅 , on defense and up the middle. That is how you build a sturdy playoff team and potential Stanley Cup champion.

Obviously they have to address scoring, especially on lines two and three, but strength on the wing is the easiest position to fix. There are plenty of capable, sufficiently prolific scoring wings to choose from through trade or at the deadline.

It also sounds like Brad is prioritizing strong three zone, two-way play for his line, which he apparently assumes will feature Charlie Coyle.

Translation and message to young Fabian, not renowned for such qualities: You will play an all around game, or you will not be playing on the second line.

Don't be surprised if the Geek, Frederic or Johnson win the gig.

Johnson could be an option on the third line, given his versatility. It wouldn't surprise me if Lysell ends up on that line, either.

Keep in mind that camp is going to be lengthy this year. There will be plenty of time to mix and match.

I am frankly excited to see how so many variables play out.

With a wary eye 👁️ 👀 on the goaltending situation. BTW, they could go with Swayman and Bussi to see how that works, starting Korpi in Providence.

Again, endlessly interesting speculation as it all unfolds..

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Hug No. 1 from the No. 1 hugger is in the books.

“I had one yesterday, so, finally,” Joonas Korpisalo said of his first interaction with fellow Bruins goalie Jeremy Swayman following Thursday’s captain’s practice at Warrior Arena.
Korpisalo was acquired in June from the Senators along with forward Mark Kastelic and a 2024 first-round draft pick (Dean Letourneau) for Linus Ullmark, Swayman’s former hugging partner.

“It came as a surprise, but as days went by, I was really happy,” said Korpisalo. “I am excited to get back here and just get to work with the boys.
“Things happen for a reason. I’m here right now and super excited.”
A nine-year veteran, Korpisalo is slated to be Swayman’s primary backup, though he could be thrust into a bigger role in the unlikely event that Swayman, currently a restricted free agent, can’t come to terms on a new contract.

“I don’t know, we’ll see,” Korpisalo said. “We both do our best and I think the coaches know more. We just do our stuff, so we’ll see.”

Korpisalo (115-107-29, 3.06 goals against average) is particularly interested in working with goalie coach Bob Essensa, who has helped guide three Bruins netminders (Tim Thomas, Tuukka Rask, and Ullmark) to Vezina Trophies.

“Seeing how the Boston goalies play here, I’m really excited to see Bob and get to work with him and see what’s on his mind to make my game better,” said Korpisalo. “We’ve been talking a lot. He’s not here yet but we’ve been catching up with each other throughout the summer.”

Ideally, the Bruins would love to see Korpisalo regain the form he flashed during a late-season run with the Kings in 2023 after he was traded by the Blue Jackets.

Based largely on that performance, Korpisalo landed a five-year, $20 million deal with Ottawa. The Senators are paying 25 percent of that contract, which runs through 2027-28.

“That was a good stretch,” said Korpisalo. “It was a good team. I got there pretty late, 10-15 games before the playoffs. But there’s something to learn from the playoffs. We didn’t go through. But I’ve had good stretches before, too. It’s just being myself. That’s pretty much it.”

He isn’t very worried about fitting into the Bruins’ systems.

“We get only one job, it’s to stop the puck, so that’s the same in every team,” said Korpisalo. “Obviously how the defensemen play and what the play calls for when playing the puck. I think that’s the biggest thing for a goalie and special teams.”

Korpisalo, who spent part of the summer in his native Finland, wore a vintage Bruce Springsteen “Born in the USA” concert t-shirt in the locker room.

“I was in Helsinki a month ago, that’s where I bought this,” said Korpisalo, who listed “Born in the USA,” as his favorite Boss song. “Oh yeah, he came to Helsinki. He hasn’t been there many times. [I saw him] the first time in 2012 and again this summer.”

Reactions: Blade of Schmautz

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
In case you missed them,

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Hopefully all this talk about getting bigger leads to something other than being tops of a size chart.

I would rather be 29th and have a cup
Yep. Over the almost 50yrs I've been watching this team, we've had bigger teams and smaller teams.......and our Stanley Cup results have pretty much been consistent. Hell, that 2010-11 team wasn't particularly big when you look at it, other than 4-5 guys....The Merlot Line only had like 1 guy over 200lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegs

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
The Swayman situation reminds me so much of pasta not signing until training camp on his previous deal. There was even rumors of him leaving to play in the KHL. Check out this old article from the Herald.

He ended up signing for a reasonable 6x6.6m

I think they will find common ground with Swayman on something similar. Maybe 6x 7.125m. Don’t be surprised if it goes into training camp a couple of days to get it done like the Pasta deal, but I’m confident it will get done.

There are some players you can just tell they are stars and they are going to be a fit on this team long term. Previously Sweeney had been great at getting these guys locked up long term a head of the game at a reasonable price. Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand. Now he seems to be signing these guys just a little too late and he is paying the premium Pastrnak, McAvoy, Swayman.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Zadorov and Lindholm kinda give me the same vibes and Chara and Savard as far as starting a new and glorious chapter. I think they both raise the cup here at some point the next 3-4 years
I hope most disagree with you.

Because if you’re expecting anything near the impact of what Savard and Chara did for this franchise, you’re going to be sorely disappointed. You’ll hate them fast and for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad