Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
He's been in Europe from Late June to early August? Long trip......

Except for your own mental health, which shouldn't matter one bit to the actual parties involved, why would it matter if he was signed July 1st (which is the actual first day he can sign) or the day before the pre-season starts as long as he signs?

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Except for your own mental health, which shouldn't matter one bit to the actual parties involved, why would it matter if he was signed July 1st (which is the actual first day he can sign) or the day before the pre-season starts as long as he signs?
He's trying to follow Ullmark :laugh: :sarcasm:

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
watching the Hlinka/Gretzky tournament. It would be pretty cool if we could acquire a 2026 1st from a lottery bound team. McKenna looks like the real deal to me.

But i think we'll see the Penguins "miraculously" win the lottery that year

Reactions: bbfan419 and TCB

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I just find it interesting that it's August 7th, and still not signed, that's all.

1. Could be nothing
2. Could be there's something else brewing and the Bruins don't want to play their cards in trade talks
3. Could be Swayman and Bruins aren't aligned on money and or term

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I just find it interesting that it's August 7th, and still not signed, that's all.

1. Could be nothing
2. Could be there's something else brewing and the Bruins don't want to play their cards in trade talks

Or it could be the off-season and Swayman would rather be with his family and friends, or travelling, or sitting at home playing video games than go through a contract negotiation. Either way, it's nothing to get "a bit nervous" about. It will happen the way it's going to happen, and there's nothing our worrying about it will do to change that. It's literally manufactured drama.

Reactions: JAD

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019

1. Could be nothing
1. It's a nothing burger! Enjoy the summer!

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Marchand Lindholm Pastrnak
Frederic Coyle Lysell
Zacha Poitras Geekie

I think you get the most out of Marchand and Lindholm putting them with Pasta. Marchand scored about the same as Frederic at 5 on 5 last year. I don’t think he can drive a line like that anymore.

Frederic and Coyle are a good duo and Lysell gives them some speed and puck carrying ability to let them get to work down low. Will rely on Frederic looking for his shot.

Pairing Zacha with Poitras gives him both a skill player to play with and some weak side faceoff support. Zacha and Geekie give Poitras size to work with. Relies on Zacha shooting more.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Marchand Lindholm Pastrnak
Frederic Coyle Lysell
Zacha Poitras Geekie

I think you get the most out of Marchand and Lindholm putting them with Pasta. Marchand scored about the same as Frederic at 5 on 5 last year. I don’t think he can drive a line like that anymore.

Frederic and Coyle are a good duo and Lysell gives them some speed and puck carrying ability to let them get to work down low. Will rely on Frederic looking for his shot.

Pairing Zacha with Poitras gives him both a skill player to play with and some weak side faceoff support. Zacha and Geekie give Poitras size to work with. Relies on Zacha shooting more.
Zacha points have gone up every year he has been in the league, with last year being his career high, and you want to put him on the third line now that he is hitting his prime years, uhh no thanks.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The actual day he can sign was January 1. July 1 is for UFAs.

For players playing under a 1 year deal... which he was in 23-24, he was eligible to be "extended" with his new contract at any point after January 1.

Reactions: TCB and Dizzay

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Zacha points have gone up every year he has been in the league, with last year being his career high, and you want to put him on the third line now that he is hitting his prime years, uhh no thanks.

So what is the concern there. TOI?

Outside of Pasta, everyone in the top 9 played basically the same amount.

Marchand played 14:01. Zacha 13:39. Geekie 13:32. MAROON 13:27. Heinen 13:01. DeBrusk 13:33.

So it can't be TOI.

Is it quality of teammates?

Unless Zacha is with Pasta, is playing with Frederic or Coyle or Geekie or Lysell or Poitras really that different? It's basically "you are with Pasta or you are not with Pasta" with this lineup. You can make the argument that playing Zacha with Pasta instead of Marchand with Pasta is the right move. I would argue that stretching out Marchand's prime by letting him use his skill with skilled players rather than having to drive everything is more important, but it's a totally reasonable argument.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So what is the concern there. TOI?

Outside of Pasta, everyone in the top 9 played basically the same amount.

Marchand played 14:01. Zacha 13:39. Geekie 13:32. MAROON 13:27. Heinen 13:01. DeBrusk 13:33.

So it can't be TOI.

Is it quality of teammates?

Unless Zacha is with Pasta, is playing with Frederic or Coyle or Geekie or Lysell or Poitras really that different? It's basically "you are with Pasta or you are not with Pasta" with this lineup. You can make the argument that playing Zacha with Pasta instead of Marchand with Pasta is the right move. I would argue that stretching out Marchand's prime by letting him use his skill with skilled players rather than having to drive everything is more important, but it's a totally reasonable argument.
All TOI isn’t the same though.

Zacha had 60% offensive zone starts. Coyle had 43%. Pasta 68%. Marchand 53%.

You could argue that it would be better for Marchand to have more OZ starts this year, but that doesn’t necessarily make the team better.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
All TOI isn’t the same though.

Zacha had 60% offensive zone starts. Coyle had 43%. Pasta 68%. Marchand 53%.

You could argue that it would be better for Marchand to have more OZ starts this year, but that doesn’t necessarily make the team better.

I think that’s very fair. With Marchand I see a guy who can still put up points on the PP but was Frederic like at 5 on 5. I bet ya Zacha could be Frederic like at 5 on 5 with Frederic deployments, too. And I bet Marchand would be a lot better with Pasta.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think that’s very fair. With Marchand I see a guy who can still put up points on the PP but was Frederic like at 5 on 5. I bet ya Zacha could be Frederic like at 5 on 5 with Frederic deployments, too. And I bet Marchand would be a lot better with Pasta.
It depends on how sheltered they want to be with Poitras. Got 70% OZ starts last year (as any sane coach would do). If they approach that again, who do you want with him? Because you’re also giving Pasta huge OZ numbers too. So the second line with Coyle needs to get buried in that case. I don’t think you’re seeing Zacha-Poitras-Lysell much on purpose. So now Geekie is deployed like Pasta basically if he’s on that third. But Frederic-Poitras-Geekie can handle more DZ deployments especially with the multiple options for faceoffs.

It’s not as simple as who plays with who - it’s how they use them. And the other side of the ice matters a lot in that equation.

Reactions: RoccoF14

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
watching the Hlinka/Gretzky tournament. It would be pretty cool if we could acquire a 2026 1st from a lottery bound team. McKenna looks like the real deal to me.

But i think we'll see the Penguins "miraculously" win the lottery that year
If he ends up in Pittsburgh, Edmonton, Montreal or Toronto, you will know it was rigged.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Or it could be the off-season and Swayman would rather be with his family and friends, or travelling, or sitting at home playing video games than go through a contract negotiation. Either way, it's nothing to get "a bit nervous" about. It will happen the way it's going to happen, and there's nothing our worrying about it will do to change that. It's literally manufactured drama.
Me too! I'd rather be a part of the f*** around gang than worry about my career and my future! Good post! Likely furthest thing from his mind right now

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Quincy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad