Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
1722088226352.jpeg

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

No, I wouldn't . Honestly I think toronto would need to add a substantial piece. Also of course McAvoy now has a NMC and I doubt he waives. Add in the fact that Marner is a UFA at the end of the season. And will want Pasta money.

Spending 25-30% of the cap on your top 2 RW just feels like the wrong way to assemble a roster

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
I can understand a Bruin's fan natural dislike of the Province of Manitoba with such noteworthy adversaries as Bobby Clarke, Reggie Leach, Duncan Keith, Jonathan Toews
and Patrick Sharp all hailing from the Keystone Province.

Morgan Geekie was born in the western Manitoba town of Strathclair, MB. I'd like to see him and a resurrected Terrible Ted Green of Eriksdale, MB poke a few people in the eye around here for the shit they have slung at Winnipeg these last couple weeks. This McGroarty bullshit isn't a city issue according to sources - it's a development issue. The Jets want him to report to the AHL and he says, "no" because he's just too good for the AHL.

If Lysell didn't come over, sign a deal and report to Providence what would we be calling him? I can only imagine. I doubt we'd be defending him and his "right" to demand an unearned return...

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Wahlstrom gets another chance with the Islanders but Zadina is still left unsigned is a little bit of a head scratcher

More than likely Wahlstrom gets waived but interesting nonetheless

Same draft, Zadina selected 5 spots higher and they have the exact same ppg since entering the league.

Reactions: Gordoff

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
No, I wouldn't . Honestly I think toronto would need to add a substantial piece. Also of course McAvoy now has a NMC and I doubt he waives. Add in the fact that Marner is a UFA at the end of the season. And will want Pasta money.

Spending 25-30% of the cap on your top 2 RW just feels like the wrong way to assemble a roster
Without googling cause I’m lazy, doesn’t he already make more than pasta?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I can understand a Bruin's fan natural dislike of the Province of Manitoba with such noteworthy adversaries as Bobby Clarke, Reggie Leach, Duncan Keith, Jonathan Toews
and Patrick Sharp all hailing from the Keystone Province.

Morgan Geekie was born in the western Manitoba town of Strathclair, MB. I'd like to see him and a resurrected Terrible Ted Green of Eriksdale, MB poke a few people in the eye around here for the shit they have slung at Winnipeg these last couple weeks. This McGroarty bullshit isn't a city issue according to sources - it's a development issue. The Jets want him to report to the AHL and he says, "no" because he's just too good for the AHL.

If Lysell didn't come over, sign a deal and report to Providence what would we be calling him? I can only imagine. I doubt we'd be defending him and his "right" to demand an unearned return...
You forgot noted Winnipeg tough guys Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I hope not.....why bring in someone who is likely to be a bottom 6 when we have too many already...
Rather see lysell, Merkulov, get a real chance. It's time to see what they have.
If they fail, upgrade after 25 games

Well the whole point of a PTO is they don't have a contract and have to earn one at camp. So if you bring someone in like Vrana, Nylander, Zadina, they have to prove it in camp.

I don't see the team looking to add a bottom 6 guy as a PTO. If anything they would likely be looking at someone who can compete for that 2nd line RW spot

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Joe Sacco will begin the new NHL season this October with a new, expanded title with the Bruins. After spending the last 10 seasons as an assistant coach, working alongside bench bosses Claude Julien, Bruce Cassidy, and Jim Montgomery, Sacco in June was elevated to the role of associate coach.

Long ago the pride of Medford High hockey, Sacco, 55, will have a greater opportunity to help Montgomery manage the bench, try to spot trends as the game unfolds at its standard NHL ‘25 warp speed.

“Not a lot will change with my role, really,” said Sacco during a recent phone conversation with the Globe, noting that Jay Leach, recently hired as an assistant, will assume some of the duties he oversaw with the blueliners. “But this should give me the chance for Jim and I to talk more … about things I’m seeing, and vice versa, during games. I don’t have to be as focused on matchups as much as Jim is, and Jay will be watching more over the defensive aspects of our game.”

General manager Don Sweeney came to Sacco with the idea of taking on the associate’s role soon after the playoffs ended, leaving the ex-BU forward saying he was “flattered and honored” over the promotion.

Montgomery said last month, while in Vegas for the NHL entry draft, that he was happy Sacco had been rewarded with the new gig, calling it formal recognition of Sacco’s overall input and for the good relationship the two have shared during Montgomery’s two years on the job.

“Joe’s really kind of been in that role since I started. We see the game a lot in the same way,” said Montgomery. “Great move.”

The playoffs this spring showed the Bruins in need of a behind-the-bench booster shot. In three of their 13 postseason games, two vs. Toronto and one vs. the Panthers, they were painfully slow in generating shots on net. More urgency was needed from puck drop.

By the end of Round 2, which ended with a Game 6 loss (2-1) to the Panthers, the Bruins established an ignominious playoff record, whistled seven times for too many men on the ice. Players and coaches shared in the failed math. A new title for Sacco alone won’t fix the accounting, but in tandem with Leach as presumably a fourth set of eyes behind the bench, it should help prevent some of the annoying “too many” faux pas.

Sacco will enter the season tied with Carolina’s Jeff Daniels with 10 years as an assistant with their respective clubs, the most among active NHL coaches. Sacco, who started here with Julien in 2014-15, is the lone current coach to serve 10 years consecutively with the same team as an assistant or associate. Daniels had nearly a 10-year break in service with the Hurricanes.

Bob Essensa (a.k.a. Goalie Bob) has been on the Black and Gold’s coaching staff the last 17 seasons. Per the NHL stats department, he is not considered in the assistant/associate group because he has been specifically a goaltending coach.

Across the 100-plus years of league history, according to the NHL stats department, only 11 coaches have served the same club for more than 10 consecutive seasons in the assistant/associate role. The leader of the pack: Benoit Allaire, who served the last 19 years as a Ranger assistant (focused mainly on netminding) before announcing early this offseason that he’ll move to a reduced, advisory role in 2024-25. Minnesota assistant Darby Hendrickson, tied for the No. 2 spot with 14 consecutive seasons, was dismissed this spring by the Wild.

When informed by the Globe about his standing on the NHL longevity chart, Sacco was somewhat surprised.

“That’s special to me,” he noted. “Would have never known that.”

What has kept him going, said Sacco, in large part has been liking the work itself and working for a Bruins team that has been consistently in the chase for the Cup, including the 2019 run that fell one win short in the Final vs. St. Louis. Julien, Cassidy, and Montgomery all have imparted knowledge that has helped him become better at his job, he said.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Also from Today’s Globe:

Waitin’ on Swayman​

Plenty of time to sign an extension, right?​

Jeremy Swayman remains without a contract, with the opening of the Bruins varsity camp some seven weeks on the horizon (Sept. 18). Still plenty of time for the 25-year-old stopper to sign an extension.

The sides this month chose not to settle differences via binding salary arbitration, the process Swayman triggered a year ago and was ultimately awarded $3.475 million on a one-year deal through. He’s back again, still with restricted free agent status, after establishing himself as the franchise No. 1 in the playoffs and with hug brother Linus Ullmark dealt to the Senators.

Swayman, yet to comment publicly, can’t report to camp without a contract. Per the NHL CBA, restricted free agents have until Dec. 1 to come to terms, or forfeit their ability to play in the league for the remainder of the season. With salary arbitration off the table, 12/1 becomes the pressure point.

The last high-profile RFA to push the deadline was Toronto forward William Nylander, who went to the final hour on Dec. 1, 2018, before signing a six-year extension for $45 million (cap hit: $7.5 million). The cap for the 2018-19 season was $79.5 million. It’s 10.9 percent higher ($88 million) for 2024-25.

Nylander has blossomed into an offensive force the past three seasons, collecting 1.09 points per game. But his holdout impeded his production in year No. 1 of the deal, when he scored at less than half that rate (54 games/27 points). Holdouts are a hard way to go for both sides.

Per puckpedia.com, GM Don Sweeney has some $8.6 million remaining to spend, following his pricey UFA signings of Elias Lindholm and Nikita Zadorov. On a long-term deal (5-8 years), Swayman should eat up most of that surplus, if not more, perhaps forcing Sweeney to delete salary elsewhere via trade or designate someone to long term injured reserve.

All 32 teams can run 10 percent over the cap during the offseason, but must be on the money by opening night.

===================================================================

Bruins rookies report to Brighton on Sept. 11, and if history holds, they’ll head quickly to Buffalo for the Prospects Challenge (with clubs such as Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, and New Jersey also participating in past years). As the weekend approached, the host Sabres had yet to announce the tourney is a go for this year …

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad