Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
As someone who has been critical of Lysell I would not do this, Lysell's attitude is comparable to Terry O'Reilly's to that of McGroarty's "I want this and that guaranteed". McGoarty maybe talking himself out of the NHL before playing a game.

Meanwhile unsigned NCAA free agents do the "I want his and that guaranteed" every spring. I'd wager drafted NCAA guys do it a lot more than we realize.

What is the difference here? McGroarty has a viable option (staying in Michigan) and he's telling the team who holds his rights for the next 2 years this is what he is looking for. He owes Winnipeg nothing.

People think he's acting like some sort of prima donna is bull-shit. He didn't create the clause in the CBA that he's leveraging here. He's just leveraging it earlier than most and because he's a 1st rounder and it's gone public, people are crapping all over him. If he feels he can make these demands, more power to him. Doesn't mean it will work out in the end but I can't hold it against him for trying.

Reactions: CDJ and dafoomie

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Meanwhile unsigned NCAA free agents do the "I want his and that guaranteed" every spring. I'd wager drafted NCAA guys do it a lot more than we realize.

What is the difference here? McGroarty has a viable option (staying in Michigan) and he's telling the team who holds his rights for the next 2 years this is what he is looking for. He owes Winnipeg nothing.

People think he's acting like some sort of prima donna is bull-shit. He didn't create the clause in the CBA that he's leveraging here. He's just leveraging it earlier than most and because he's a 1st rounder and it's gone public, people are crapping all over him. If he feels he can make these demands, more power to him. Doesn't mean it will work out in the end but I can't hold it against him for trying.
I also can’t blame anyone for trying to get themselves the hell away from Winnipeg.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I also can’t blame anyone for trying to get themselves the hell away from Winnipeg.

I've driven through Winnipeg twice. The 1st time we drove straight through the city. 6 months later the 2nd time we took a route that sort of went around the outskirts to the south. We had zero desire to stop in Winnipeg a 2nd time.

Reactions: Gordoff

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I have no issues about Rutger's demands, if they are even true. It's negotiations - I'm sure his camp is fully aware it could put teams off. You ask high, a team who really likes him ends up being more willing to acquiesce more than others and offers a compromise but not to everything, and his agent and him think about what they're willing to bend on. It's all part of the process. If no team bites, he goes back to college as a fallback and works on upping his stock. Kind of reminds me of Vesey.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I've driven through Winnipeg twice. The 1st time we drove straight through the city. 6 months later the 2nd time we took a route that sort of went around the outskirts to the south. We had zero desire to stop in Winnipeg a 2nd time.
Aw come on its not THAT bad, then again I'm from a smaller city so it's quite the upgrade for me :laugh:

Reactions: lopey and BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Aw come on its not THAT bad, then again I'm from a smaller city so it's quite the upgrade for me :laugh:

Maybe it was the weather. It was early May 2015 and it was grey cloudy skies and extremely windy, I had to fight to keep the car on the highway the wind was going south while driving west.

I will say the downtown core was very unimpressive. Not necessarily bad, just nothing noteworthy about it.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Would you guys trade Lysell + for McGroarty?
I would like to see how Lysell does in the preseason before moving him. He looked great last preseason playing with Marchand and Coyle and that spot on the wing is his to lose.

If Merkulov does not win a spot on the lineup at camp, he may be the one to move instead of Lysell just because he's blocked at center with all of the centers on the team and with him having nothing left to prove at the AHL level.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Would you guys trade Lysell + for McGroarty?
Doesn't really matter what we would do. There's no way on God green Earth that Don Sweeney and the Bruins would take on a guy who has demands like he's a super star.
He's going to be a headache for whichever team signs him.
And, as Dom said, the Jets have hi(rights) for 2 more years.
So IMO if he doesn't play ball with them he can go punt.
A guy like him can piss off the whole organization (player wise).

Reactions: bbfan419

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

He is not leveraging anything that is in the CBA here except that he doesn't have to sign if he doesn't want to. There is nothing in the CBA that says he can make demands. So what exactly do you think he is using?

If he doesn't want to sign that's fine. Wait two years. Then also wait to come out of his ELC and start earning real money I hockey terms.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Ahh the irony in this statement is unparalleled. I distinctly remember you posting gifs like we won that series up 3-1 and talking about how Ullmark put all the haters to shame.

Only for him to fall flat on his face and you didn’t post here for months.
He also had a GIF after Game 1 of I think a Disney character sweeping the floor.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Quincy

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Doesn't really matter what we would do. There's no way on God green Earth that Don Sweeney and the Bruins would take on a guy who has demands like he's a super star.
He's going to be a headache for whichever team signs him.
And, as Dom said, the Jets have hi(rights) for 2 more years.
So IMO if he doesn't play ball with them he can go punt.
A guy like him can piss off the whole organization (player wise).
At this point it is all speculation as to reasons and outcomes. All other things aside Winnipeg isn't exactly a destination hot spot ... the kid is young and may be getting bad advice from people around him. Give it time, things may change.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He is not leveraging anything that is in the CBA here except that he doesn't have to sign if he doesn't want to. There is nothing in the CBA that says he can make demands. So what exactly do you think he is using?

If he doesn't want to sign that's fine. Wait two years. Then also wait to come out of his ELC and start earning real money I hockey terms.

He's leveraging the fact he can walk away in two years and go to a different team. What exactly are you arguing here?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Is this McGroarty talk substantiated anywhere? Do we have quotes from the player or agent?

This seems to have gone from wanting a “path to NHL playing time” to “demanding time on the powerplay” awfully quick. Like do we know what he’s actually requesting?
It was talked about earlier in this thread:

View attachment 896351

Also from the article:
"There are other teams that might be interested in Rutger McGroarty that are hearing a lot of the same things from the McGroarty camp that the Jets have heard in terms of playing time and assurances," McIntyre said on Winnipeg Sports Talk, adding, "There may have been one particular deal that was close to happening that essentially fell apart because the other team didn't like what they were hearing either from the McGroarty camp. That may be complicating this for the Jets."

Also to note: All the sources are lower-level media people. None of the major hockey names have touched this. I'm not sure if it's because of summer vacation or story validity reasons. So take it with a grain of salt. Could be both sides feeding lower media info to put pressure on the other, which is common practice now it seems.

Regardless, there was a hot market for him once it came out that he told WPG he was not signing. People expected him to be traded before the draft.
There were, according to articles, lots of teams interested and talking to WPG. Some teams with solid offers were, as listed by McIntyre, given permission to talk to the players camp. After this was done the market suddenly cooled off.

Make your own decision. Just keep an open mind that we probably don't fully know whats going on here yet.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Maybe it was the weather. It was early May 2015 and it was grey cloudy skies and extremely windy, I had to fight to keep the car on the highway the wind was going south while driving west.

I will say the downtown core was very unimpressive. Not necessarily bad, just nothing noteworthy about it.
Us fellow Canadians call Winnipeg " Winterpeg", not a place I would like to go.
BC is much nicer for weather and overall living experience.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
It was talked about earlier in this thread:

Also to note: All the sources are lower-level media people. None of the major hockey names have touched this. I'm not sure if it's because of summer vacation or story validity reasons. So take it with a grain of salt. Could be both sides feeding lower media info to put pressure on the other, which is common practice now it seems.

Regardless, there was a hot market for him once it came out that he told WPG he was not signing. People expected him to be traded before the draft.
There were, according to articles, lots of teams interested and talking to WPG. Some teams with solid offers were, as listed by McIntyre, given permission to talk to the players camp. After this was done the market suddenly cooled off.

Make your own decision. Just keep an open mind that we probably don't fully know whats going on here yet.
Yeah it FEELS like a lot of spin to me.

He could just as easily be saying “my education is important to me. I’m not going to bail on college to go pro unless there’s a path to the NHL for me. If there’s no plan, I’ll continue my college career and further my development in Ann Arbor.”

Which is a lot different than “Guarantee me a permanent spot in the NHL in a scoring role or GTFO.”

I’m not going to say that no one knows what is actually being said. But I do feel like there is a lot of extrapolation to get to “he’s an entitled asshole who will poison the room” without a lot to back it up.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Yeah it FEELS like a lot of spin to me.

He could just as easily be saying “my education is important to me. I’m not going to bail on college to go pro unless there’s a path to the NHL for me. If there’s no plan, I’ll continue my college career and further my development in Ann Arbor.”

Which is a lot different than “Guarantee me a permanent spot in the NHL in a scoring role or GTFO.”

I’m not going to say that no one knows what is actually being said. But I do feel like there is a lot of extrapolation to get to “he’s an entitled asshole who will poison the room” without a lot to back it up.

True. But why not put that out there? Just make an announcement to clarify.
Well, because they don't care what fans think of the situation.
But it would be counter spin and McGroarty speaking up would show leadership. Seems like they have an opportunity to turn this gossip toward their favor and have done nothing.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

It does suck there when the weather is bad. It's basically only a travel destination if you live in a nearby small town like myself, otherwise you are right pretty underwhelming for a "bigger" city.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
He's leveraging the fact he can walk away in two years and go to a different team. What exactly are you arguing here?
How Is he leveraging the CBA which is what you said?

Why can't you consider that the Jets are leveraging their rights and holding onto him for at least another year thereby not only costing him 1 to 3.5 million dollars now or next year, but prolonging how long he has to wait to come out of his ELC and costing him more?

Both sides have leverage here.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
1721926771332.png

The Athletic’s contract efficiency rankings had the bruins ranked at 15 accompanied by this chart. Not sure what they were smoking when they decided that Carlo is overpaid and that Zadorov is worth 1.4 mil less than Wotherspoon.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
How Is he leveraging the CBA which is what you said?

Why can't you consider that the Jets are leveraging their rights and holding onto him for at least another year thereby not only costing him 1 to 3.5 million dollars now or next year, but prolonging how long he has to wait to come out of his ELC and costing him more?

Both sides have leverage here.

What I meant by "leveraging the CBA" was the clause/loop-hole whatever you want to call it that he can take advantage of in 2 years. I thought that was fairly clear. Is that clause not part of the CBA or is it a separate agreement? Maybe that is the confusion.

What we really don't know is how content he is to stay in Michigan, continue his education, and keep playing there. If he's happy playing there and he needs "this, this, this and this" to be convinced to leave, I don't see an issue there. Most decisions in life are made weighing pros and cons.

My original point in all of this was he was being called out for being a demanding prima-donna asking/demanding certain things and people saying he needs to earn it, but I don't see the same outcry for undrafted NCAA free agents or guys who go the full 4 years and become free agents then. They sometimes make significant asks (or demands) of teams to sign on the dotted line. They want to know where they fit in, what the timelines are, etc. etc.

I have no issue with how either party is dealing with this. Jets will do what is best for them, I agree they have plenty of leverage as well. McGroarty will do what is best for him. I didn't like how this player was being characterized but this place seems full of double-standards lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad