Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I thought Nylander signed in Toronto to be with bro?

I was thinking this morning about a PTO for Barabanov. Don't think he's signed anywhere and they've looked at him in the past. Maybe Wheeler? I think they're OK with giving Lysell and Merk a shot with the last open spot.
Barabanov unsigned has confused me since July 1. I don't get how someone who paced 40+ points and then 50+ points hasn't gotten another look elsewhere especially since his down year this past season consisted of him playing hurt on the worst team in the league by a large margin.

All things considered, I think he is bound for the KHL.

I could see Zadina taking a PTO. He is a kid that likes to bet on himself.

No better team to sign a PTO to that looks as if they're penciling in two rookies in their top nine and with Heinens recent success story.

Bruins shouldn't have a problem bringing in a gamble by the end of the summer

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
This was my take all along...Could have leveraged Swayman in a deal that would have brought back a top 6 talented skilled forward.

Both goalies are awesome. Both love Boston. Ullmark contract is a good one and don't doubt he would have accepted a similar contract down the road. He chose Boston and wanted to stay in Boston.

Tough decision but I would have preferred Ullmark plus top line forward versus Swayman and no top line forward.

Don't get me wrong. I'm totally cool with Swayman. Let's hope his contract isn't anything crazy. I don't think it will be.
Ullmark in playoffs is horrifying no thanks. Sign sway even at 8 million aav.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Thought this was a little interesting

Pavel Zacha in NJ
179 career points in 6,095 minutes of ice time

Zadina in DET & SJ
91 career points in 3,789 mins

Both 6th overall draft picks and essentially busts up until these points in time. Zadina has about half as many points but also almost half as many minutes

Zacha had a pretty bad reputation by the end of his NJ days as a guy who didn't show up enough.

Zadina is kind of the opposite. Fans say he tries real hard but just simply hasn't put it together yet. It's odd for a guy who was such a great goalscorer to struggle with it to such a degree

As a PTO, why not? It seems like a Sweeney reclamation

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
On one hand:
PTOs are low risk gambles, they also push competition and up peoples game to win a roster spot.

On the other hand:
Whats it tell the rookies? We are not confident in you so we are bringing in more people to compete for spots you are shooting for.

I think the month of training camp will tell Sweeney what he has. Depending on the answers he gets is what we might see for PTOs.

With the acquisitions of Max Jones and Riley Tufte they are also competing for an NHL spot. Possibly only two available atm. I dont see a need for PTOs atm, but I was surprised by the all the PTOs last summer.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I'd see if you could get a 3rd team involved and do a double retain on Laine. Using the calculator on Puckpedia it looks like it'd take a early 2nd round pick to have another team retain $2,175,000 million for 2 years.

You'd likely need to use CBJ's 2nd as it'd be better than BOS 2nd. Depending on what Swayman gets you'd still need to shed some cap to make Laine fit even at double retained.

To CBJ: Geekie + '25 1st (BOS) + '26 2nd (BOS)
To BOS: Laine @ $2,175,000
To ANH: '26 2nd (CBJ)

No idea if this would work, but cap wise it allows the B's to also sign Swayman. CBJ maybe looks for more as they'd be trading the better player and retaining $4.35 million for two years. Is a 1st + Geekie + moving back in the 2nd round enough for Laine with 50% retention from CBJ?
Love the thought process. Truly well done in this Daugavin days of summer.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I remember getting bludgeoned here when I would say this over his time here but now since he's gone it seems to be politically correct and commonplace. Interesting.
Reminds me of the time I said Dougie Hamilton would never sign a second contract with the Bruins. And some want them to trade for Rutger McGroarty

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Ullmark in playoffs is horrifying no thanks. Sign sway even at 8 million aav.
I really don't think Ullmark was that bad, unlucky yes, and over time the team's confidence in him subconsciously diminished. But the truth is Swayman was simply better in the playoffs and the team played with more confidence in front of him.

Ullmark in Ottawa won't have to worry about the playoffs for a while, well ... unless he leaves when his contract is up.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I really don't think Ullmark was that bad, unlucky yes, and over time the team's confidence in him subconsciously diminished. But the truth is Swayman was simply better in the playoffs and the team played with more confidence in front of him.

Ullmark in Ottawa won't have to worry about the playoffs for a while, well ... unless he leaves when his contract is up.
To be fair, wasn’t it kind of a small sample size for Ullmark? I remember those first two games he played against Carolina and the Bruins just weren’t ready . No goalie was going to bail them out . I agree Swayman has been better but I wouldn’t necessarily conclude Ullmark isn’t capable of playing well in the playoffs.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Reminds me of the time I said Dougie Hamilton would never sign a second contract with the Bruins. And some want them to trade for Rutger McGroarty
I had family working ice dog games and good friends who had dealings with him ... all had negative things to say about Hamilton. Big Head syndrome.

Jet fans must be pissed. Rutger, in particular his agent, ignorance impacting his career. I didn't know how bad the situation was until I read the following.

Rutger McGroarty Getting Greedy, Teams Walking from Trade Talks

However, the situation has become complicated due to McGroarty’s reported demands. According to Mike McIntyre of the Winnipeg Press, McGroarty has requested guaranteed substantial playing time and a role on the power-play. These conditions have made negotiations difficult, leading to the collapse of the proposed trade. And, it’s not just the Canadiens who are thinking twice about bringing McGroarty and his attitude in.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Second guessing past draft picks is so easy with the benefit of hindsight....

End of the day, a player's got to perform and show he can play at the highest level. I don't care where they're drafted. That holds true for every sport, not just hockey. If a player shows he belongs, a GM looks like a genius. If they don't, that same GM is an idiot. The next GM that bats 1.000 on his first round picks, will be the first.

2015 was 9 years ago.
He brought up previous drafts champ. I responded to it and he ended at 2015

Not true.
Very true

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
On one hand:
PTOs are low risk gambles, they also push competition and up peoples game to win a roster spot.

On the other hand:
Whats it tell the rookies? We are not confident in you so we are bringing in more people to compete for spots you are shooting for.

I think the month of training camp will tell Sweeney what he has. Depending on the answers he gets is what we might see for PTOs.

With the acquisitions of Max Jones and Riley Tufte they are also competing for an NHL spot. Possibly only two available atm. I dont see a need for PTOs atm, but I was surprised by the all the PTOs last summer.

At the end of the day you need to ice the best roster you can. A rookie we've penciled into the lineup can be out of it right away if they show up out of shape and can't keep up. Not saying they will - but to make the lineup, they need to beat and outwork the UFAs that no one wants who are fighting for a job.

They'll get their shot whether it's on opening night, or after the inevitable injuries. But if there's a "free" asset out there that can make a difference for multiple games in a season, need to take it.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Im not looking to start a 2015 draft discussion here but whose BPA exactly do you suggest they should have used? Lets say they use Bob Mckenzie - he had Zboril 14 in his final ranking and Chabot 25. How did that work out?

What if Toronto picked Hanifin over Marner as BPA, Mckenzie ranked him higher too.

Florida took the 7th ranked Crouse 11th overall, how did that BPA work over selecting Barzal, Connor?

BPA from some draft rankings doesn't automatically guarantee you have a great draft, and generally a lot of the rankings get shit wrong, like Eriksson Ek below a lot of the guys drafted ahead of him in that same draft as another of many examples.
The fact that you’re using a guy drafted four slots away from his ranking as your gotcha moment tells me all I need to know. By BPA I generally mean someone in that area. Sure we could have someone at 15 that someone else has at 18 that’s not a huge reach our draft was all reach. Tell me where was senyshin ranked? Are you going to honestly tell me you watched that draft and left pumped with what you watched take place? Let’s not play pretend that was even remotely what he should have done and you know it. It’s not all on him because he trusted his scouts but apparently we drafted for “character” if memory serves. 2 of the 3 character guys we drafted asked for a trade lol. He did great grabbing Carlo in the 2nd that year though.

Reactions: Gordoff

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I had family working ice dog games and good friends who had dealings with him ... all had negative things to say about Hamilton. Big Head syndrome.

Jet fans must be pissed. Rutger, in particular his agent, ignorance impacting his career. I didn't know how bad the situation was until I read the following.

Rutger McGroarty Getting Greedy, Teams Walking from Trade Talks

However, the situation has become complicated due to McGroarty’s reported demands. According to Mike McIntyre of the Winnipeg Press, McGroarty has requested guaranteed substantial playing time and a role on the power-play. These conditions have made negotiations difficult, leading to the collapse of the proposed trade. And, it’s not just the Canadiens who are thinking twice about bringing McGroarty and his attitude in.
I have zero problems with what team McGroarty is doing and they have all the leverage

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Interesting. It would a tremendous amount of pressure on the player to perform. There might be more to this ... character concerns if teams are dropping out for trades.
We'll see how it plays out, I wouldn't put to much stock in what the Winnipeg press is saying,McGroarty is Captain material

Reactions: Blowfish

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The fact that you’re using a guy drafted four slots away from his ranking as your gotcha moment tells me all I need to know. By BPA I generally mean someone in that area. Sure we could have someone at 15 that someone else has at 18 that’s not a huge reach our draft was all reach. Tell me where was senyshin ranked? Are you going to honestly tell me you watched that draft and left pumped with what you watched take place? Let’s not play pretend that was even remotely what he should have done and you know it. It’s not all on him because he trusted his scouts but apparently we drafted for “character” if memory serves. 2 of the 3 character guys we drafted asked for a trade lol. He did great grabbing Carlo in the 2nd that year though.
It's not some gotcha moment, my point is there are loads and loads of moments where the BPA fails, including Zboril in that very draft.

You'll get no argument from me that Seny was an awful pick, but I'm also not going to worry about a draft almost 10 years ago when Sweeney has done very well since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad