Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Because our current gm is an incompetent drafter doesn't change the facts and value of said pics. We don't need to revisit 2015 but if he had only done what he should have and drafted BPA we'd look like a wildly different team today and likely have another cup in that time.

Also I did not generalize your comment. You said he was about a p/pg player which he is not. That's what I stated.
Im not looking to start a 2015 draft discussion here but whose BPA exactly do you suggest they should have used? Lets say they use Bob Mckenzie - he had Zboril 14 in his final ranking and Chabot 25. How did that work out?

What if Toronto picked Hanifin over Marner as BPA, Mckenzie ranked him higher too.

Florida took the 7th ranked Crouse 11th overall, how did that BPA work over selecting Barzal, Connor?

BPA from some draft rankings doesn't automatically guarantee you have a great draft, and generally a lot of the rankings get shit wrong, like Eriksson Ek below a lot of the guys drafted ahead of him in that same draft as another of many examples.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Second guessing past draft picks is so easy with the benefit of hindsight....

End of the day, a player's got to perform and show he can play at the highest level. I don't care where they're drafted. That holds true for every sport, not just hockey. If a player shows he belongs, a GM looks like a genius. If they don't, that same GM is an idiot. The next GM that bats 1.000 on his first round picks, will be the first.

2015 was 9 years ago.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Because our current gm is an incompetent drafter doesn't change the facts and value of said pics. We don't need to revisit 2015 but if he had only done what he should have and drafted BPA we'd look like a wildly different team today and likely have another cup in that time.

Also I did not generalize your comment. You said he was about a p/pg player which he is not. That's what I stated.

You're right we would, but its a rabbit hole of ifs. Maybe the team isn't in a spot to draft McAvoy the following year. Maybe those guys don't pan out in Boston like they did the teams that drafted them because they have different roles/responsibilities in Boston. Every trade, signing and draft post that 2015 draft is out the window because of the ripple effect it would have had not just for Boston but all the teams involved.

As for the value of picks, again their scratch tickets (no matter the team). Many times you'll end up with nothing, if you win, you likely get the value back, and if you're really lucky you win big. The odds of getting an impact player in the last 1st and 2nd round is extremely low. If you look at a guy like Trent Frederic, he's around the average of what you can expect to get if you actually hit on the player in his draft slot +/- 2 spots.

Don't believe me, go back, look at the drafts from 2015 to 2021. Specifically late 1st (23rd+) through the 2nd round (when these picks would be). See how many impact players you identify vs how many guys that were actually drafted. By impact players, let say legit Top 6 forward Top 4 d-man. Not those guys who are "middle six" or "bottom 4" and can float into a larger roles in a pinch.

Go back and look at why TBL was successful for the run they had. They weren't afraid to trade picks for players that could help them win now. Florida brought in guys like Reinhart and Bennett by dealing away 1st/2nd round picks.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You're right we would, but its a rabbit hole of ifs. Maybe the team isn't in a spot to draft McAvoy the following year. Maybe those guys don't pan out in Boston like they did the teams that drafted them because they have different roles/responsibilities in Boston. Every trade, signing and draft post that 2015 draft is out the window because of the ripple effect it would have had not just for Boston but all the teams involved.

As for the value of picks, again their scratch tickets (no matter the team). Many times you'll end up with nothing, if you win, you likely get the value back, and if you're really lucky you win big. The odds of getting an impact player in the last 1st and 2nd round is extremely low. If you look at a guy like Trent Frederic, he's around the average of what you can expect to get if you actually hit on the player in his draft slot +/- 2 spots.

Don't believe me, go back, look at the drafts from 2015 to 2021. Specifically late 1st (23rd+) through the 2nd round (when these picks would be). See how many impact players you identify vs how many guys that were actually drafted. By impact players, let say legit Top 6 forward Top 4 d-man. Not those guys who are "middle six" or "bottom 4" and can float into a larger roles in a pinch.

Go back and look at why TBL was successful for the run they had. They weren't afraid to trade picks for players that could help them win now. Florida brought in guys like Reinhart and Bennett by dealing away 1st/2nd round picks.
Isn't a second line center a top 6 while also being a middle 6?

Isn't a number 4 defenceman a top 4 while also being a bottom 4?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Isn't a second line center a top 6 while also being a middle 6?

Isn't a number 4 defenceman a top 4 while also being a bottom 4?

Technically yes. But to me a 2nd line center whose a true top 6 can play top line if needed, but is a better 2C. A 2nd line center whose a middle 6 guy can play 2nd line but is better suited as a 3C

Reactions: McBrom7

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
Believe me I’m hoping. I think I’m just still slightly mad that when we traded Ullmark and all we got in return that will impact the playoff roster is kastelic and who knows how big of an upgrade if at all he will be to the 4th line.

I was really hoping for a top 9 forward or cap space.

Hopefully some of the young players lysell/lohrei/poitras/brazeau make that jump because our winger group is probably the worst it’s been since 2014 or 2015 so we need them all to provide some offense
Shouldve kept ulmark. Used swayman money to sign another forward. But that ship has sailed
They will have to win 2-1 every night. Until trade deadline if what they have isn't working Sweeney can add a impact forward then

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Not true.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Shouldve kept ulmark. Used swayman money to sign another forward. But that ship has sailed
They will have to win 2-1 every night. Until trade deadline if what they have isn't working Sweeney can add a impact forward then
This was my take all along...Could have leveraged Swayman in a deal that would have brought back a top 6 talented skilled forward.

Both goalies are awesome. Both love Boston. Ullmark contract is a good one and don't doubt he would have accepted a similar contract down the road. He chose Boston and wanted to stay in Boston.

Tough decision but I would have preferred Ullmark plus top line forward versus Swayman and no top line forward.

Don't get me wrong. I'm totally cool with Swayman. Let's hope his contract isn't anything crazy. I don't think it will be.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Exactly , acting like an entitled brat and has not even played an NHL game yet, if that is his attitude, than pass big time.
We had no qualms about signing the original NCAA brat Blake Wheeler who was the first super high pick to wait out his rights and sign as a free agent. We’ve offered everyone similar since like Vesey. Don’t be foolish they’re interested.

Very little chance we offer Winnipeg the best deal mind you.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Thats a lot to give up for a player who has been wildly inconsistent, has supposed issues with motivation, has had injury issues, and is currently in the NHL/NHLPA assistance program.

He hasn't played 60+ games since 2019.

I like the potential Laine has always shown, but at this point he is what he is.

Pass from me personally.
Geekie might be a trade chip I understand but I am not giving up picks to go along with him, makes no sense, and I am not that excited to give him up. Ther is no way Zacka should go for Laine that defeats the purpose of getting another wing. I would love to see Laine in Boston, but not at the costs that is being talked about , so I say sign Alex Nylander, and let it ride.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Geekie might be a trade chip I understand but I am not giving up picks to go along with him, makes no sense, and I am not that excited to give him up. Ther is no way Zacka should go for Laine that defeats the purpose of getting another wing. I would love to see Laine in Boston, but not at the costs that is being talked about , so I say sign Alex Nylander, and let it ride.
A PTO in camp to Nylander is zero risk and could be high reward. Not sure what he is, the Blue Jackets were terrible last year and it was really the first time he has produced.

Give him an invite on a PTO or a league minimum 2 way deal so he can get sent to Providence and costs 0.00 on the cap, maybe he clicks with Marchand and Coyle and the find another Geekie/JVR from last year.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

This is the Hockey News being complimentary to Kastelic, the paper that pretty much lead the charge of trying to turn the NHL in the 70's, 80's and 90's into the SEL, the most anti fighting hockey publication printed (when it was printed). They think Kastelic will be a good addition to the Bruins

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
A PTO in camp to Nylander is zero risk and could be high reward. Not sure what he is, the Blue Jackets were terrible last year and it was really the first time he has produced.

Give him an invite on a PTO or a league minimum 2 way deal so he can get sent to Providence and costs 0.00 on the cap, maybe he clicks with Marchand and Coyle and the find another Geekie/JVR from last year.
Nothing wrong with that plan, 26-year-old first round pick, what's the risk.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I believe he would cost $0 against the cap if his hit is $1,125,000 or less. The only thing the two way deal does it makes it so if he's in the AHL he's paid one amount and if in the NHL a different amount.

Reactions: Fenian24

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

This is the Hockey News being complimentary to Kastelic, the paper that pretty much lead the charge of trying to turn the NHL in the 70's, 80's and 90's into the SEL, the most anti fighting hockey publication printed (when it was printed). They think Kastelic will be a good addition to the Bruins
I think he'll be a nice add. I haven't seen him play much, if at all, but seems like a guy that will benefit from the system.

Still young and not at the level of a Nosek/Campbell/etc. defensively but seems like they want him to develop that skillset. Hopefully can turn into a mid-long term role player. 4th line will be exciting with him and Beecher.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire

I thought Nylander signed in Toronto to be with bro?

I was thinking this morning about a PTO for Barabanov. Don't think he's signed anywhere and they've looked at him in the past. Maybe Wheeler? I think they're OK with giving Lysell and Merk a shot with the last open spot.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I mean hard to say anything without knowing what the trade value of Swayman was, no? I think they also just (probably rightly) think that Swayman just has a better attitude and mindset for the pressures of playoff hockey. I was certainly one that was open to trading Swayman over Ullmark, but without knowing what you could have gotten for Swayman... and from where... it's silly to make statements like this. I certainly wouldn't have traded Swayman instead of Ullmark just to have the money to sign a DeBrusk or Bertuzzi level guy. It would have had to have been the kind of guy that opposing fan bases would have thought of as untouchable.

Reactions: Gordoff

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I think he'll be a nice add. I haven't seen him play much, if at all, but seems like a guy that will benefit from the system.

Still young and not at the level of a Nosek/Campbell/etc. defensively but seems like they want him to develop that skillset. Hopefully can turn into a mid-long term role player. 4th line will be exciting with him and Beecher.
I also think he will be a nice add, he is quicker and more physical than the two you mentioned and may already be as good as Nosek in the fo department and young to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad