Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I would have thought and hoped the strategy going in was to save as much as you needed to get those two top 6 forwards, including a center, considering you are prob at about 8 mil for Swayman. You increased your backup goalie from under a mil w Bussi to 3 mil. Peeke at 2.5 is meh, means you prob aren't spending much to fortify the left side third pair. Your third line wings should already have Freddy and Geekie on it at just under 5 mil, unless Geekie is your center and Poitras is riding the bus.

I gave Sweeney all the credit in the world for 22/23 and even thought he did well in 23/24, given the constraints.

But Jesus, prioritizing this stiff before getting the difference makers they need to contend is just baffling.

If he gets more than 2 million and we hear that “prices were too high” for quality top 6 guys while Korpse and Heinen are eating up 5+ million of the cap, I’ll have lost what little faith I have left.

Tommy Tubs

Mar 2, 2024
I guess some are satisfied with being good regular season teams and not being able to get over the hump. They need to save some $$$ somewhere if they plan on keeping Korpisalo and handing Heinen $2M+ isn't going to allow them to have the flexibility to make the improvements that they need.
Unfortunately that's Sweeney. They can talk all the want about how the only thing that matters is Cups, but that's not how he builds teams.

He prioritizes spending money on "decent" players. If there are a few injuries, it's okay. There are a bunch of solid guys to step up and keep the team afloat. It's great if you want to win the most regular season games as possible. Pretty much guarantees you'll make the playoffs every year.

But by not spending that money on real difference makers, your chances at really contending for a title are slim.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
WORST
You read much? If he's here YES he will be a very good back, What's so hard to understand?

Just because HF posters think he's garbage doesn't mean its true, I will take my cue from guys that actually know what they are talking about.

One of them being Raycroft
WORST goaltender statistically in the NHL last season. What more is there to debate???

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I like Heinen as an anyman in the roster.

The only way I don't like Heinen is cost and length of contract.
So it comes down to what Donny does there and I don't expect anything until after Sweeney is done thus summer and has a hole he still needs filled at forward.

I have no problem with him or this perspective if he’s signed in late August after the top 6 is improved upon and part of that improvement is because Geekie, Coyle or Frederic are moved out.

Even then I’d rather the third line be 2/3 of those mentioned and Poitras.

But to sign him before you start talking to free agents is asinine.

What if a guy you assumed wanted 6 and would have been out of range, says he’ll take 5 because he wants to be here?

What if another team loses a guy in FA they thought would be back and now there’s a chance to make a trade with that team that you never considered but needs a little more money than you have because you signed Heinen so early?

Heinen and guys of his ilk will be available in September.

It’s like buying a house and getting curtains the day you move in, but shopping for a bed 4 weeks later.

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Again if Heinen is your Jake replacement than that's a big issue. There are plenty of players available (who all have warts of their own) who should come in at a price that works, that are more suitable in top 6 roles
Oh, I agree. I just don't think the roster is going to be as tight as people hope it to be by Training camp. Sure hope I am wrong.

They will take the problem they know over the problem they don't. So I see Sweeney taking Danton over someone like, say, Mantha.

It will all come down to cap hit left and availability of options. I think Don would go with a 2mil Heinen over a 32 year old 4-5mil Toffoli.

Thank you!

pizzafrylover420

Feb 5, 2020
Wonder what it would take to move up from 25th to like 15th or higher. Some interesting prospects in that area.

25th and a B prospect? We don’t have much draft capital.

I’m still high on both Lysell and Merkulov, I do wonder if either are attached with the 25th pick, how high into the first can we get? Maybe another prospect too?

I’m excited to see Merkulov given a chance. I see a solid top 9 guy eventually, Id sum him up as crafty. Great skill/passing/awareness/sneaky good shot. I’d rather just them both a long look next season and see how their skills translate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad