Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
One-way and two-way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. They are solely for salary purposes between the AHL and NHL.

Bussi still has to pass through waivers, if I am correct.

Which means we have a risk of losing him if he is a 3rd wheel in the goaltending carousel. Moving Korpisalo would remove this problem, which is what a lot of people here are anxiously waiting for. Not sure that gets done, I think Sweeney did not want to go with two kids in the net, which is smart for a GM to bet against. But this means if one of the goalies gets hurt and Bussi is called up we could lose him when the goalie in question gets off IR.

Bussi's contract is a 2-way 1 year deal. A ShowMe deal. With Korpisalo in the mix he now has to beat out Korpisalo for the backup job and keep it all year long to remain a Bruin. The other option is he gets buried in Providence as their starter AGAIN this year and hopes Korp gets moved.

It really makes sense to move out Korpisalo from a Bruins perspective. I just feel like we are doing it from a point of weakness and not strength. Just seems like bad business to me.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
One-way and two-way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. They are solely for salary purposes between the AHL and NHL.

Bussi still has to pass through waivers, if I am correct.

Which means we have a risk of losing him if he is a 3rd wheel in the goaltending carousel. Moving Korpisalo would remove this problem, which is what a lot of people here are anxiously waiting for. Not sure that gets done, I think Sweeney did not want to go with two kids in the net, which is smart for a GM to bet against. But this means if one of the goalies gets hurt and Bussi is called up we could lose him when the goalie in question gets off IR.

Bussi's contract is a 2-way 1 year deal. A ShowMe deal. With Korpisalo in the mix he now has to beat out Korpisalo for the backup job and keep it all year long to remain a Bruin. The other option is he gets buried in Providence as their starter AGAIN this year and hopes Korp gets moved.

It really makes sense to move out Korpisalo from a Bruins perspective. I just feel like we are doing it from a point of weakness and not strength. Just seems like bad business to me.
I posted it before the thread was closed.

But I still believe Korpisalo isn’t a Bruin for long. Whether buyout or a trade with retention.

Bussi is on a very easy deal and if not now, when? The kid deserves a shot

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

But I still believe Korpisalo isn’t a Bruin for long. Whether buyout or a trade with retention.

I fully agree. I just dont expect much for a Korpisalo at 3mil at the lowest value of his career. Won't change my view of the UIlmark return regardless.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

with you there, think you are right, it`s not like he`s locked into some 6 mill/year deal, send him to a team looking to hit the cap floor

Bruins need every cent in order to improve on last years team if Jake walks.
think this move does that, gives them a bit more space financially

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
So I tried to look back to when we had our most expensive goaltending tandem and it was in 2018 when we first signed Halak while Rask was under contract

Rask was making 7 million (8.81%) and Halak 2.75 million (3.46%) = 12.27% of the cap

Currently, Korpisalo is occupying 3 million (3.4%) + Swayman @ 8 million (9.1%) = 12.5%

There is a possibility that we go into next season with some of the most expensive goaltending we've ever had without a #1 center...

If we just run with Bussi, it would be 10%, which just seems so much more reasonable. When we first signed Ullmark it was (6%) and Swayman (1%) so we've had it as little as 7% give or take.

Very strange cap management to me

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
One feather in the Bruins cap that might make this work is their recent history of picking up goalies and getting good value out of them: Halak, Ullmark, Khodobin. They even made Svedberg look good. Whether it's good coaching or the system, the Bruins are pretty sharp when picking goalies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm surprised nobody has made a Korpisalo thread yet. :laugh:

No real point. It'd be flooded with the same comments that were in the last thread after the trade was announced....

"Worst contract in the NHL"
"Guy sucks"
"Just bury him in the AHL"
"Can we trade him for future considerations"
"Don Sweeney is a moron, how does he have a job"

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Alrighty, since there is a thread to continue the Korpi/Sweeney bashing, what else is on the table for the roster? As of right now, there is cash to sign E. Lindholm if they want, and enough to get a top 6 wing if Jake walks. That leaves needing a 3rd pair D for cheap money, someone that can battle it out with Wotherspoon for the 6th spot.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
We’re all in on going for Jeff Skinner if he’s bought out as rumored, right? (EF has brought it up that there’s a strong.m belief he is bought out).

Gotta imagine he’s happy to take a smaller deal ala OEL. Also the guy has only played on the east coast.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
So... Where do we go from here?

We still have two holes in the top six and another one at defense. Depending on what Swayman signs for, we may have $13M-$14M to spend. Works out to $4M - $5M a player.

If you drop $8M on one of them, it essentially leaves you with making one more quality addition and either promoting a yute, or signing a depth player.

So where do you skimp? Or do you do something else drastic?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
We’re all in on going for Jeff Skinner if he’s bought out as rumored, right? (EF has brought it up that there’s a strong.m belief he is bought out).

Gotta imagine he’s happy to take a smaller deal ala OEL. Also the guy has only played on the east coast.

I'd do it if the price is right- he's a talented goal scorer and great skater. He replace Jake in the top 6, and Lindholm is brought in as a center and the roster looks good.

Reactions: Bodit9 and JCRO

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
As much as I hate the trade, I keep telling myself that the last time Bruins picked #25 in the draft, they drafted David Pastrnak. So something can possibly, maybe, hopefully, come of the 25th pick.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So... Where do we go from here?

We still have two holes in the top six and another one at defense. Depending on what Swayman signs for, we may have $13M-$14M to spend. Works out to $4M - $5M a player.

If you drop $8M on one of them, it essentially leaves you with making one more quality addition and either promoting a yute, or signing a depth player.

So where do you skimp? Or do you do something else drastic?

I would sign Lindholm if possible, Skinner as mentioned above, if bought out would be a great option, and you promote one of Lysell or Merkulov to the big club. Then you sign a third pair D for a reasonable amount, and its good.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Alrighty, since there is a thread to continue the Korpi/Sweeney bashing, what else is on the table for the roster? As of right now, there is cash to sign E. Lindholm if they want, and enough to get a top 6 wing if Jake walks. That leaves needing a 3rd pair D for cheap money, someone that can battle it out with Wotherspoon for the 6th spot.

I still like the idea of going after a guy like Vrana. Could start out 3rd line, but has the upside of a 2nd liner if he can get back on track.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I still like the idea of going after a guy like Vrana. Could start out 3rd line, but has the upside of a 2nd liner if he can get back on track.

Another good offensive talent that could likely be had fairly cheaply,

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

Can't see Pegula paying that. Has he ever authorized a buyout?

Dude's the cheap bastard everyone thinks Jacobs is. If Sinden wasn't tucked away in a buzzard farm, they'd make for inseparable friends.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
If there's a way to do it, I think my ideal at this point would be to go Bertuzzi, Sprong and Dillon.

Not because I think they are the ideal adds (your defensive acumen on the top six would take a serious nosedive)... But because we know Bertuzzi gives you some nasty in your top six and works with Zacha and Pasta, Sprong gives you speed and a nose for the net and Dillon gives the blueline some backbone. And (fingers crossed) we could still add all three much needed elements and stay cap compliant.

Save moving more players out, I don't see another combination that could realistically still give you all three.

And I'm not all too confident even this would fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad