Post-Game Talk: #23: FLYERS 0 at Maple Leafs 6, Saturday, Nov. 24, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This seems like a bit of waffling. What makes you think Knoblauch has any value or is a good coach? Why would you keep an assistant and foist him upon a new coach. It really makes zero sense.

This has been the Flyers m.o. for years - saddling new coaches with used assistants or forcing former Flyers players onto their staffs. This is a really horrible practice. A new coach needs a staff he is comfortable with, who understands his system and is properly aligned with his vision. Likewise, the GM needs to respect it and feed the coach the players that will thrive in his system. This clearly did not happen with Lavi and Homer. The organization's track record is really poor in both these areas and that is what is truly terrifying.
Knoblauch had insane success in junior and was one of the hottest young hockey coaching candidates in the professional hockey world.

Unless you think they were completely wrong on him and that his junior success was an utter fluke and simply based on talent, you keep him in your organization. Assistants usually are charged with simply carrying out what the head coach asks -- it's not their own individual ideas and strategies being coached. Also, new coaches keep at least one existing assistant relatively often. From what I've read about Knoblauch, he won't have an issue adjusting to the ideas of a new head coach. I'm quite sure he had to adjust to Hakstol's systems.

Last edited:

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I got no problem giving Knob the rest of this season to see what he can do. If nothing else, it gives us some certainty about him, and I share the feeling that Q is unlikely to jump into any situation mid-season. If he takes another job it will be after the season ends, before the draft and free agency, so he can help shape the roster he will take on. Having an interim to see how the players react to a change, to see perhaps if there are some attitude problems that need to be addressed, would only aid that.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Knoblauch had insane success in junior and was one of the hottest young hockey coaching candidates in the professional hockey world.

Unless you think you were completely wrong on him and that his junior success was an utter fluke and simply based on talent, you keep him in your organization. Assistants usually are charged with simply carrying out what the head coach asks -- it's not their own individual ideas and strategies being coached. Also, new coaches keep at least one existing assistant relatively often. From what I've read about Knoblauch, he won't have an issue adjusting to the ideas of a new head coach. I'm quite sure he had to adjust to Hakstol's systems.
Why was Mullen fired btw? Ever since Knob started coaching PP it has been getting worse.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
There isn't a coach out there who would have started an emergency call-up coming off two major knee surgeries and essentially an entire missed season (save for 3 ECHL games and 1 terrible AHL game) and then had only played in 3 minor league games this season before the emergency call-up, over a goalie who had been getting NHL game action and was coming off a shutout against a hot opponent. And start that emergency call-up in Toronto on Hockey Night in Canada, no less.

That's putting Stolarz in a horrible position, and going completely blind on what to expect. You can't do that, and no coach would. Good for him that he surprisingly played pretty well in relief under no pressure at that point, but acting like it was an indefensible decision to play Pickard over him is an absurd case of backseat driving and wanting to call Hakstol an idiot for *everything* that goes wrong.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Why was Mullen fired btw? Ever since Knob started coaching PP it has been getting worse.
To create room for Knoblauch. To be fair, Knoblauch has kept the PP setup pretty much the same as Mullen's. Maybe with a few more set plays mixed in. I would guess that Hakstol chooses the personnel on the units and has a lot of input, as well.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The coaching should be held accountable but the players shouldn't get a free pass. A lot of posts seem to imply that the players deserve a free pass because of Hakstol, and I don't agree with that at all.

I wouldn't fire Knoblauch as an assistant. I doubt he had significant responsibility, at least enough for it to trump his accomplishments in junior. But I'd also be very leery making Knob the new HC. I'm not sure another mild-mannered rookie NHL head coach is the way to go with this team.

When two-thirds of the roster has been turned over, it's clear that players aren't getting a pass. With that being said, I also agree that players shouldn't be let off the hook. At the same time, when the results haven't changed and they've been stagnant for several years, it's more than just the players at fault. There's blame to go all around. However, a large portion of the roster has been turned over. It's time to start looking at the direction of the coaching staff.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
When two-thirds of the roster has been turned over, it's clear that players aren't getting a pass. With that being said, I also agree that players shouldn't be let off the hook. At the same time, when the results haven't changed and they've been stagnant for several years, it's more than just the players at fault. There's blame to go all around. However, a large portion of the roster has been turned over. It's time to start looking at the direction of the coaching staff.

The players who have been "turned over" aren't difference makers. They are fungible depth guys.

Top 7 point getters in Hakstol's first season (15/16): Giroux, Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek, Ghost, Couturier, Raffl.
Only 1 of those (Schenn) isn't here in 18/19.

The guys who are gone are Read, Streit, White, Gagner, Bellemare, Vandevelde, DelZotto, Medvedev, Cousins, Umberger, Schultz, Manning, and Mason, and then Filppula. In other words, dime a dozen players who don't matter.

And as I've said dozens of times, believing the roster is flawed and needs core changes doesn't mean I don't think they need a new coach. I think they need both.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Pretty sad that this team comes out and just goes thru the motions on national tv in Canada. 2nd time in 3 games they fall behind 4-0 after 1. Playing another listless game under a listless coach. I am beyond done with this whole coaching staff.
Changing coaches now does not fix everything but it would have to be a huge lift for the room. This team is mentally fragile.
Time for a change

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
The players who have been "turned over" aren't difference makers. They are fungible depth guys.

Top 7 point getters in Hakstol's first season (15/16): Giroux, Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek, Ghost, Couturier, Raffl.

The guys who are gone are Read, Streit, White, Gagner, Bellemare, Vandevelde, DelZotto, Medvedev, Cousins, Umberger, Schultz, Manning, and Mason, and then Filppula. In other words, dime a dozen players who don't matter.

And as I've said dozens of times, believing the roster is flawed and needs core changes doesn't mean I don't think they need a new coach. I think they need both.
Last year you and few other were saying the problem is depth. Now that depth should not be problem the goal posts are moved and blame is on core players. Never nothing wrong with Hak.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

And those dime a dozen guys have been replaced with better payers (for the most part). You can continue to sugar coat things all you want, but when you look at the talent that's here (Provorov, Sanheim, Gudas, Konecny, Patrick, Lindblom, van Riemsdyk, Laughton), they should be significantly better than what they are. The replacements aren't 'dime a dozen' players. These are good hockey players and in the case of a few of them, high end/franchise players (Provorov, Sanheim, Konecny, Patrick, Lindblom).

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
images

images

Ronald Jeffrey Hextall,

tumblr_o1oh5yMOAg1v5l3ono1_400.gif

Gee, I feel much better.

images

I'm going to hire a real head coach, asap!

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $110.00