Post-Game Talk: #23: FLYERS 0 at Maple Leafs 6, Saturday, Nov. 24, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Travat

Feb 24, 2018
In a game that was out of reach in the first 8 minutes I wouldn't worry about players ice time too much, might as well give your top guys a bit of a rest!

Travat

Feb 24, 2018
DID ANYONE SEE THE ICETIMES TONIGHT?!?!!?!?!?!

Hagg was 1 SECOND away from leading the ENTIRE team in icetime tonight.

GIROUX PLAYED 15:49
COUTURIER PLAYED 16:33
TK PLAYED 15:19

WEAL PLAYED THE MOST OF ALL CENTERS
SIMMONDS PLAYED THE MOST OF ALL RIGHT WINGS
JVR PLAYED THE MOST OF ALL LEFT WINGS

HAKSTOL PLAYED THE 3RD LINE LIKE THE TOP LINE

In a game where they were down immediately, the coach gave up and didn't even try.

f3ec5aed14fa000c40a7f3b54d73c00a.png
New
In a game that was out of reach in the first 8 minutes I wouldn't worry about players ice time too much, might as well give your top guys a bit of a rest!​

Reactions: kudymen and Jtown

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
At least Holmgren pawned off Luca "Robert Hagg" Sbisa.
Don't give him too much credit for that. He thought Sbisa was an all-star to-be and it killed him to give him up. That was just being fortunate that he was no good. Had he not been traded, he would've been used as a 20-minute player here.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It’s half because some stupid sliver or faint remnants of my optimistic, non-jaded self assumed, or at least didn’t think of, Hak pulling his usual circus-show level goalie management. On a b2b, with a history of running goalies into the ground, a current goalie injury epidemic, facing one of the best teams in the league less than 24 hours after his previous start, Hak started an AHL-caliber goalie both halves.

HOW DO THESE PEOPLE GET SEVEN FIGURE SALARIES???????

This may be the silliest post of the year.
Since the alternative was an AHL goalie who's played 7 games since the start of last season.
And the other AHL goalie was injured.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Still living in fantasy land.
The new coach will change everything.
Just keep the same players and they'll magically become allstars.
Nothing here to worry about.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

obviously there needs to be some personnel decisions made, but you always try a coaching change first. If you still see the same bad personnel play after a coaching change then its time to make a trade.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
There is no fantasy land besides the one you live in believing that Hakstol is a quality coach. He has proven time and time again to be ineffective. The players need an offensive minded coach. We are starting to see the talent come through the pipeline but they reach the NHL level and it’s time to put the breaks on.

You implement a system that these players can be utilized in. Then you make decisions about the core. Your go to is to blame the better players on this team. Maybe you should realize it starts from the top down. Hextall and Hakstol haven’t made it work. This team hasn’t improved in 5 years now. Suffering in hockey purgatory.

Just don’t sit here and try to lecture other people how they are wrong yet you seem to be the only person arguing for a coach who is in over his head. A guy who has difficulties communicating to young players(shouldn’t happen from a college coach) and makes questionable lineup decisions. A guy who hasn’t gotten us past the first round of the playoffs. There has been no step forward. It’s because the coach isn’t right for the team. It’s time to cut ties and get someone in here that can adjust in game and ice the best lineup game in and game out. Not benching young players because the mistakes they make on the ice. This is the shit fans can live with. That’s unacceptable.

But keep telling us we live in a fantasy land @deadhead. I’ll take our “fantasy land” over whatever f***ed up world you are living in. And don’t say reality, because that’s probably the furthest thing from where you currently are.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
There is no fantasy land besides the one you live in believing that Hakstol is a quality coach. He has proven time and time again to be ineffective. The players need an offensive minded coach. We are starting to see the talent come through the pipeline but they reach the NHL level and it’s time to put the breaks on.

You implement a system that these players can be utilized in. Then you make decisions about the core. Your go to is to blame the better players on this team. Maybe you should realize it starts from the top down. Hextall and Hakstol haven’t made it work. This team hasn’t improved in 5 years now. Suffering in hockey purgatory.

Just don’t sit here and try to lecture other people how they are wrong yet you seem to be the only person arguing for a coach who is in over his head. A guy who has difficulties communicating to young players(shouldn’t happen from a college coach) and makes questionable lineup decisions. A guy who hasn’t gotten us past the first round of the playoffs. There has been no step forward. It’s because the coach isn’t right for the team. It’s time to cut ties and get someone in here that can adjust in game and ice the best lineup game in and game out. Not benching young players because the mistakes they make on the ice. This is the **** fans can live with. That’s unacceptable.

But keep telling us we live in a fantasy land @deadhead. I’ll take our “fantasy land” over whatever ****ed up world you are living in. And don’t say reality, because that’s probably the furthest thing from where you currently are.

Bravo!!!! Well said!!!!! :clap:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm told a lot of things, but again and again, "just fire Hakstol."
As if that will solve everything.
Like the veterans are going to have career years at 30 with a new coach, above the career years they had with the old coach.

I've been told again and again the problem is the scheme keeps them from scoring, even though they're 11th in the league in goals scored at ES, that new coach is gonna have to walk on water to significantly improve ES scoring.

Yes, the PK could be improved, from awful to maybe below average.
The PP might be tweaked, but that's not going to turn the season around.
And the goalies still suck and the team lacks speed (though it's faster than a few years ago, so is the league).

And when have I said Hakstol is a "quality coach?" Fake news.

I've merely pointed out that his performance is average, he got a mediocre team to the playoffs 2 of 3 years, if he was horrible we'd been drafting in the top 10 the last 3 years. St Louis has played worse with talent as good and goalies as bad. So replacing him isn't going to perform miracles.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Honest question. Other than trying to be a contrarian, what do you see in Dave Hakstol that makes you want to keep him so bad. There obviously needs to be player changes as well, but you are so gunho keeping Dave, really makes me wonder why you see him as such a wonderful coach.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't want to keep Hakstol, I just don't think the new coach is going to be the miracle worker that many imply.

People grossly overrate some of the Flyer current players, it wasn't the scrubs being dominated by Toronto - see who was on the ice making all those bad turnovers in the 1st period. Though Pickard was awful, his teammates didn't help.

If the season is a lost cause, and we've been a rut through 3 coaches since the 2011-12 playoffs, time to do more than change the HC.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don't want to keep Hakstol, I just don't think the new coach is going to be the miracle worker that many imply.

No one implies that. Maybe parcel out a little of the misplaced benefit of doubt you give Hakstok and dole it out to us, the poor bumblebees of the Hive. Because every time you say something like this, you make it sound like you think we are all barely one foot out of the primordial ooze, and you are better than that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No one implies that. Maybe parcel out a little of the misplaced benefit of doubt you give Hakstok and dole it out to us, the poor bumblebees of the Hive. Because every time you say something like this, you make it sound like you think we are all barely one foot out of the primordial ooze, and you are better than that.

When people keep saying Hakstol is "horrible," they're implying that a real coach can turn this around. If Hakstol is merely "run of the mill" then a new coach is unlikely to be a big difference maker.

When people want Hextall to "make changes," but don't want to trade their favorites, how do they expect him to make changes?

Trade 2 or 3 1st rd picks for another older veteran? Trade Hagg for Nylander? Trade Weise for a top 4 RHD?

Lot's of wishful thinking around here.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If the season is a lost cause, and we've been a rut through 3 coaches since the 2011-12 playoffs, time to do more than change the HC.

Giroux, Simmonds, Couturier, Raffl, Voracek, MacDonald, Neuvirth. Those are the only guys left from Hakstol's first year as coach. I'd say there's been quite a bit of change in Philadelphia. Two thirds of the roster has been turned over. The only thing that hasn't changed is the coaching and it's still as piss poor now as it was when Hakstol took over. At what point is he not held accountable?

BuriedInIce

Mar 6, 2010
San Diego
obviously there needs to be some personnel decisions made, but you always try a coaching change first. If you still see the same bad personnel play after a coaching change then its time to make a trade.

Agreed. I can't imagine that a coach would be put above players in a scenario where multiple players are struggling.

What I saw last night that was different from other games with a large first period deficit was a general lack of interest/motivation, whatever you want to call it, after going down 4 goals again. There seemed to be hardly any push. Can't blame them. It gets old after the third time.

Yes, our defense as a whole have been turnover machines, but I wonder how much of that is overcompensating for not having reliable defensive partners and inconsistent goaltending. I also wonder how much is due to wingers not being in position (on breakouts). I've seen that on a regular basis as well. It's like they have to relearn the system every year. Or it could be that teams are just really good at countering a system that is so predictable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad