WJC: 2025 Team Canada Roster Talk

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
But is the tougher tournament, it has the better players compared to the U-18’s outside of the States. No different than Stamkos leading Canada as a 16 year old at the U-18’s then putting up 4 points at the Hlinka as a 17 year old.

McKenna is going to be the best player by a sizeable amount, and is going to lead the tournament. He isn’t above the tournament, he’s the best player amd is going to be the top scorer, but it’s a perfectly fine tournament for him to star in before he makes his way to the WJ’s in December.

Hlinka is always the easier tournament for Canada, we have all of our players and the states don't.
The rest of the field is 1 year younger too (vs. the U18). Come on now, pretending that Hlinka is harder than the U18 the year before is beyond logic. Every draft year, they peak in their season at the U18. This is a brand new set of players.

Yes it's different, very different, Stamkos didn't blow up the draft year ahead of him already, he got 10 points at the U18. McKenna got 20 points at the U18, double the amount. McKenna was number 1 in points at the U18 against Hagens, Eiserman etc. Mikey Berchild won't be there, because NTDP won't be at Hlinka as you highlighted. But McKenna is at least 1 year ahead of Mikey in development. Heck he's ahead of Hagens and Martone. Would it be a good idea for Hagens to be at Hlinka if he could? no.

This is uncharted territory and what is coming is predictable dunking.
I selfishly want to see him destroy the tournament too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Hlinka is always the easier tournament for Canada, we have all of our players and the states don't.
The rest of the field is 1 year younger too (vs. the U18). Come on now, pretending that Hlinka is harder than the U18 the year before is beyond logic. Every draft year, they peak in their season at the U18. This is a brand new set of players.

Yes it's different, very different, Stamkos didn't blow up the draft year ahead of him already, he got 10 points at the U18. McKenna got 20 points at the U18, double the amount. McKenna was number 1 in points at the U18 against Hagens, Eiserman etc. Mikey Berchild won't be there, because NTDP won't be at Hlinka as you highlighted. But McKenna is at least 1 year ahead of Mikey in development. Heck he's ahead of Hagens and Martone. Would it be a good idea for Hagens to be at Hlinka if he could? no.

This is uncharted territory and what is coming is predictable dunking.
I selfishly want to see him destroy the tournament too.
I fully understand how the U-18 and Hlinka works

Hagens had 2 more points than Mckenna

If Hagens was eligible, he would be there, yes. But he is a USNDTP player, and too old.

Stammer led Canada in scoring by 2, McKenna led them in scoring by 3.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You are the repetitive one right now. Not me.

You are conflating my argument, I'm not talking about him taking over WJC, I couldn't care less if he does or doesn't. I know he's going to have a big role.

I'm talking about Hlinka, in 15 days. He already took over the U18. He doesn't need to take it over twice as much. That's where I see as graduated from the U18 level (U18 championship and Hlinka). It's not good for anyone to have a 35 pts guy in 7 games. Not him, not the team, not the tournament.

Of course, selfishly I want to watch him dominate Hlinka. But I recognize that guys with 4+ pts per game need to graduate out of that level, the U20 level is right there waiting for these guys with a much higher physical strength requirement.
Your posts are talking about both, so I am replying to both. I don't really care how he does at the Hlinka, but it is a good thing if he can dominate. Hockey Canada's "graduation" idea is dumb. As your first post on this topic was solely about his use in this tournament then I hope that you can at least follow the discussion... the WJC primarily, with digressions on other tournaments I guess. McKenna is one of the guys in the mix for a LW spot, I think he gets on the team but his role is a question mark.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Your posts are talking about both, so I am replying to both. I don't really care how he does at the Hlinka, but it is a good thing if he can dominate. Hockey Canada's "graduation" idea is dumb. As your first post on this topic was solely about his use in this tournament then I hope that you can at least follow the discussion... the WJC primarily, with digressions on other tournaments I guess. McKenna is one of the guys in the mix for a LW spot, I think he gets on the team but his role is a question mark.

His role ain't much of a question mark.
1) He's not physically constrained
2) He's not speed constrained
3) He's not 2 way constrained
4) Highest skill mix we have, no one comes close.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
His role ain't much of a question mark.
1) He's not physically constrained
2) He's not speed constrained
3) He's not 2 way constrained
4) Highest skill mix we have, no one comes close.
I get that, and I hope that he is given a role commensurate with his ability. Plenty of young players have gone to the WJC and have had to essentially wait their turn, sometimes to the detriment of the team, so I am not sure what role he will have assuming he is there. As noted before it helps that Cameron had success riding Bedard heavily.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
McKenna's development isn't going to be hindered by whether he plays in the Hlinka or the Summer Showcase exhibition games....so who cares which one he plays in? It won't effect his chances of being on the U-20 team over Christmas so why get worked up over something that doesn't really matter.
I'm not worked up at all, I just know a lot about development and the need to direct the highest standards of deviation talents always towards a higher summit for their own good. Keeps them progressing and protect them of the very real strata of the population that fuels on jealousy. He has nothing to prove at the U18 level.

"McKenna's development isn't going to be hindered by whether he plays in the Hlinka or the Summer"

Very presumptuous. you don't even know where he is in the gym. That's 2-3 weeks away from the summer the gym (where most real strength gains are made in the Canadian system) if you include the selection process. It's not insignificant for a 16 years old. Would be very different if he was 21-22. At 16 his body is changing fast and a lack of strength can lead to consequences that are hard to evaluate.

• Haha
Reactions: cg98 and BondraTime

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hockey Canada hired Al Murray as U20 head scout. He has the position in 2008, 2009, 2010, and then was Tampa Bay's director of scouting afterward. Also a long time as director of scouting for Los Angeles. Probably not a bad hire.

TSN has starting pumping out WJC videos, mainly interviews from the camp. I forgot that Chadwick's GM in the WHL is the GM of Canada this year, so that doesn't hurt.

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
Anyone know where to get the live streaming for today Team Red vs Team White?

1722381616099.png

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Very frustrating seeing the lack of commitment amongst hockey Canada to broadcast these games, even if they had to charge a small fee to watch. Years past they even streamed all u17 camp games, this year not even a Canada vs sweden game tomorrow? Unacceptable imo.

Reactions: horner

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Thank the 2018 scumbags for cutbacks.
Fair enough, I don’t disagree. But seems unlikely that they couldn’t afford to broadcast at least the game vs sweden tomorrow. Feels like they’re using the scandal as an excuse to not deliver and do the bare minimum. They hardly even update their website or social media these days. USA hockey has their own streaming service yet hockey Canada is stuck in the stone ages.

Reactions: Static

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Fair enough, I don’t disagree. But seems unlikely that they couldn’t afford to broadcast at least the game vs sweden tomorrow. Feels like they’re using the scandal as an excuse to not deliver and do the bare minimum. They hardly even update their website or social media these days. USA hockey has their own streaming service yet hockey Canada is stuck in the stone ages.
I think there is some truth to Hockey Canada just removing some things under the guise of economic hardships. No doubt the budget is reduced after some sponsors severed ties due to public hysterics, but I don't believe that they couldn't stream the game. Didn't want to is more like it.

Goals based on Masters tweets:

Team Red - Goal Nadeau; Assists Mynio and Cowan
Team Red - Goal Catton (PP)
Team Red - Goal Mynio; Assists Ritchie and Parekh
Team White - Goal Barkey; Assist Iginla
Team White - Goal Heidt; Assist Cristall
Team White - Goal Romani; Assist Sennecke
Team Red - Goal Rehkopf; Assist Cristall

Reactions: Leviathan899

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Was at the game here were the standouts

Red:
Bradley Nadeau: was the single most dynamic player on the ice. Him and Cowan had instant chemistry. Is going to be a big part of the team this year if he continues to play the way he did.

Tanner Molendyk: By far the best defender on the ice for both teams. Showcased confidence, speed and skill. Is going to be Canada’s #1 this year

Matthew Wood: Was straight up dominant in front of the net. Is really starting to put himself in positions to utilize his size and it stood out in a big way on the second goal for Red where his presence made 3 defenders rush to cover him leaving Catton open on the door step for a tap in after the puck bounced to him.

Noah Chadwick: Very quietly effective, showed some impressive instincts in the offensive zone and was consistently shutting down white in the first 2 periods. Sleeper to make the team.

White:
Beckett Sennecke: was whites best offensive player throughout. He maybe was trying to do too much at times but he was the only guy able to consistently generate chances for White on a shift to shift basis.

Porter Martone: Unfortunately he didn’t get to play much but when he did I thought he was fantastic. Using his size and skills well to get to the net amd was able to get a good deal of chances. I’d like to see more of him because he played very few minutesz

Caden Price: Was Whites most steady defender, great defensive positioning - strong play getting pucks out of his zone while his partner really struggled. Could be this years rock.

Sam Dickinson: Quiet for the first period then turned it on after that. Showing his dynamic skillset and skating. Was jumping into plays and thwarting tons of chances with his strong stick and positioning.

Brayden Yager: I might be wrong here but Yager might be this teams best two way player. Was excellent on the backcheck and consistently made smart defensive plays. Was really impressed with his game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad