Prospect Info: 2025 NHL Entry Draft

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
This draft class seems to be below average, reminiscent of 2022 when there wasn’t a clear top pick.

According to Bob's list, #1 C Hagens is on the smaller side, and the next two picks, #2 LD Schaefer and #3 C Frondell, will both miss the start of their seasons, which could have an impact. Expect some "reaches" early on, similar to our pick with Sennecke or Slafkovski in ’22.

#4 RW Martone looks promising; he’s essentially what we hope Sennecke will become.

#6 C McQueen, standing at 6'5", is likely to go very early if he continues his impressive pace of 4 goals and 6 points in just 2 games.

There are several solid RD options, much like last year, but the high-end depth in the 2024 draft isn’t quite there. I’ll be keeping an eye on these players to address that RD hole:
  • #9 RD Hensler
  • #12 RD Mrtka
  • #15 RD Trethewey
Given the lack of depth at this stage, trading our second round pick doesn’t seem that bad.

One player I’m really hoping does well is #18 RW Jakob Ihs-Wozniak, a 6'3" talent born in Australia. It would be great to see more Aussies in the NHL!

Last edited:
Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

The Hagens-Kopitar comparison just seems odd when they have such a huge difference in size. A smaller Kopitar would seemingly be more comparable to a Toews or Bergeron

Reactions: cheesymc

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022
This team is gonna win the lottery, get Hagens, and have an offense that absolutely f***s

Zegras-Hagens-Sennecke
Gauthier-Carlsson-Killorn
Whocareslol-McTavish-Terry

Also I’ve had like 8 modelos
lol if we are in the bottom 3 and win the lottery I think many of us will be joining you in downing 8 modelos

• Love
Reactions: MMC

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Obviously it would be nice if there was a perfect RHD fit for the team, but it isn't like we dont have room at every position. I will be worried about not having room at Center when Leo and McT are both PPG 2-way studs. Same with Zellweger and Minty at LD, and so on and so forth.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Martone is going to end up going like second overall or something. I don't want us to be bad, but winning at least a second place lottery after narrowly missing the playoffs wouldn't be so bad. I'd love that player.

That's some crazy projection after three games!

Porter Martone (3 games in OHL).png

Reactions: Static

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
It happens almost every year.

Valeno
Wright
Eiserman
Lambert
Raty

Schaefer being at #2 as the youngest (not 100% sure) player in the draft is pretty crazy. If he was born 10 days later he would be a 2026 draft eligible guy. Unfortunately he is a LHD.
They’re always the same type of player too. Hyper skilled that physically matured early but that don’t have elite physical tools. Then the games catches up to them and they can’t dominate physically and they don’t have the iq to keep improving. They stall out and fans get excited for them to drop to them but they’re usually just mediocre at best.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Martone is going to end up going like second overall or something. I don't want us to be bad, but winning at least a second place lottery after narrowly missing the playoffs wouldn't be so bad. I'd love that player.
He is looking fantastic so far. Would be nice to add and lock down our RW for the next decade.

McQueen is also off to a hot start. 6'5 C who shoots right has 6 goals and 3 points in only 4 games. Likely going to be Martone and McQueen with Hagens in the top 3

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
This team is gonna win the lottery, get Hagens, and have an offense that absolutely f***s

Zegras-Hagens-Sennecke
Gauthier-Carlsson-Killorn
Whocareslol-McTavish-Terry

Also I’ve had like 8 modelos
I like how you think when you drink 8 modelos

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If not for the late birthday rule pushing his draft year back (he's same birth year as Sennecke but born in late Oct), I'm pretty confident that Martone would be playing for the Blackhawks right now (as in would have been #2 overall behind Celebrini)

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
the ducks are in the comfortable position of they don’t really need Martone/Hagens but if they get one it just puts the exclamation point on the rebuild.

I’m hoping one of them goes to Columbus but they’ll probably end up in SJ/CHI unfortunately

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
the ducks are in the comfortable position of they don’t really need Martone/Hagens but if they get one it just puts the exclamation point on the rebuild.

I’m hoping one of them goes to Columbus but they’ll probably end up in SJ/CHI unfortunately
Ya, the only position I would get super hyped for is a legit top pairing RHD.

Reactions: lwvs84

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ya, the only position I would get super hyped for is a legit top pairing RHD.
Id personally be happy with a top 4 rhd that can play defense…. Someone that can compliment Mintyukov/zellweger/lacombe.
But with zellweger and lacombe being comfortable in off side I don’t think it’s a priority to go out of our way to get.

Another big winger wouldn’t bother me either…. Could really consider running something like

Gauthier Carlsson
Mctavish Sennecke
Zegras Martone

Reactions: lwvs84

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm going to up my prediction and say by the end of the year martone is under serious consideration for 1st overall.
I agree , I just put his name there but you can insert whoever as a winger.

I think this draft plays out similar to last years draft

Hagans is top guy but after him you prob have 6-10 guys that are pretty close

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If not for the late birthday rule pushing his draft year back (he's same birth year as Sennecke but born in late Oct), I'm pretty confident that Martone would be playing for the Blackhawks right now (as in would have been #2 overall behind Celebrini)

I dunno. I think Chicago was dead set on Lev as they passed up on Demidov and Lindstrom. Maybe it would have been us who drafts Martone.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I dunno. I think Chicago was dead set on Lev as they passed up on Demidov and Lindstrom. Maybe it would have been us who drafts Martone.

We'll never know for sure, but I think Martone would have been closer to Celebrini than he would have been to the rest of the field. He just seems like that surefire, lock to be top 3/5 in any year type of prospect that the 2024 draft lacked behind Celebrini.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We'll never know for sure, but I think Martone would have been closer to Celebrini than he would have been to the rest of the field. He just seems like that surefire, lock to be top 3/5 in any year type of prospect that the 2024 draft lacked behind Celebrini.

Demidov and Lindstrom wave hello. Demidov has 8 points (4g, 4a) in 11 KHL games so far this season; that's Russia's top men's league and not the CHL. If not for back injury, then Lindstrom might have gone higher, but still was drafted 4th overall. Lindstrom's goal scoring and scoring rate are much higher than Martone's last year. Then there's Sennecke and his late rise, but he wasn't a surefire lock like the aforementioned duo.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Demidov and Lindstrom wave hello. Demidov has 8 points (4g, 4a) in 11 KHL games so far this season; that's Russia's top men's league and not the CHL. If not for back injury, then Lindstrom might have gone higher, but still was drafted 4th overall. Lindstrom's goal scoring and scoring rate are much higher than Martone's last year. Then there's Sennecke and his late rise, but he wasn't a surefire lock like the aforementioned duo.
Martone’s D-1 blows Lindstroms out of the water. You’re comparing draft year and D-1.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad