Pre-Game Talk: 2025 NHL Draft Thread

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Yes, I know, this is way too early.
But get over it, not like there's much else to discuss right now.

The Hlinka Tourny is only a month away and that's when the Draft frenzy usually starts for most of us.

So who are some names that you're interested in?
Any particular position you think we should focus on?
Does the focus on size continue?

My personal(way too early) takes.
Looks to be a pretty good class(better than the 24 class); and fairly balanced in terms of forwards vs Dmen(top 10 looks forward heavy; next 10 looks D heavy).

I wouldn't say Hagens has already cemented himself as the defacto #1 just yet, but he's fairly close(very strong top 6).
Logan Hensler seems to be the early favorite as the top D man.

Couple names I'm watching:
Radim Mrtka- RHD Czech redwood(6'6" 200 already)
Artyom Valchinsky- LHD Russia redwood(6'6" 240)
The "Next Gen" guys(Dakoda Rheaume-Mullen, Luka Radivojevic, Sascha Boumedienne)

Let's go.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
How does Ryabkin compare to Demidov and Michkov? We may be due for another Russian star..

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
If our pool looks similar to what it does now next year, i would want to take a swing on an additional defensemen. Need more top 4 options within our system, that hopefully have top pairing ceiling. Obviously dont scue too far from BPA, but with dman typically taking longer, we need another solid d prospect developing with this new core.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yep, way early but it’s looking like a good class. More forward heavy IMO. I’ve only seen a fair amount of a handful of the top guys.

James Hagens, C - so calm paired with high hockey sense and skill. I’d put him below Celebrini and likely 2026 1st overall Gavin McKenna though. But he’s still really damn good.

Anton Frondell, C - only seen a little of him but damn is he skilled. A shame he was injured for the U18s a couple months ago. Even being a year younger than almost everyone else he almost certainly would’ve been Sweden’s best player and helped them a lot.

Ilya Ryabkin, C - yet to see more than a few clips but based on pure stat watching - he just scored the most pts in the MHL for any 16 year old ever. More than Michkov or Demidov. He’s already 6’0”, he plays C whereas the other two play the slightly less valuable position of wing and he’s younger in his draft class (Michkov’s a Dec ‘04 birth, Demidov Dec ‘05 while Ryabkin is April ‘07). So for their draft years, we’ll be comparing Ryabkin’s 17 year old season to the other two’s 18 year old seasons. His profile is incredibly impressive.

Porter Martone, RW - quite skilled. A top ‘06 player. Some have him challenging for 1st overall but I don’t see him that high.

Malcolm Spence, LW - also quite skilled and pesky. I see him more around 10th or so.

Michael Misa, LW - he obtained early entry into the OHL with exceptional status yet somehow he seems to have gotten a little underrated IMO. I think he has a big season and goes top-5.

Matthew Schaefer, LD - the best d-man in the class IMO. Barely even eligible for this draft - 11 days away from the 2026 draft.

Logan Hensler, RD - a little bigger and more refined than Schaefer but almost a full year older.

Roger McQueen, C - big, skilled and mean. But also a bit of a hot head and takes some dumb penalties. But if that passion can be reigned in…there’s something there. I see him more 10-15 range though.

Luka Radivojevic, RD - a little undersized but he was really good for Slovakia at the U18s.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Waaay to early to speculate (but I’ll do so anyway), I truly wonder if DA wants one more year of draft picks (keeping our 1st and trading away pending UFAs or players with 1 more year left, like Saad or Leddy) to accumulate more picks, or if he’ll start using draft capital to accelerate the re-whatever to pick up players in the 24-28 age range. Probably depends a m how the team looks at the deadline (at least with respect to trading players away). I could see Faksa fetching a 2nd or 3rd if he has a good season and stays healthy for instance, but I think the front office would value making the playoffs over that draft pick if we’re in the playoff mix. At the same time, DA has been expressing how they’re going to stick with the plan - just not sure at what point the plan is to use draft capital for established players.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Waaay to early to speculate (but I’ll do so anyway), I truly wonder if DA wants one more year of draft picks (keeping our 1st and trading away pending UFAs or players with 1 more year left, like Saad or Leddy) to accumulate more picks, or if he’ll start using draft capital to accelerate the re-whatever to pick up players in the 24-28 age range. Probably depends a m how the team looks at the deadline (at least with respect to trading players away). I could see Faksa fetching a 2nd or 3rd if he has a good season and stays healthy for instance, but I think the front office would value making the playoffs over that draft pick if we’re in the playoff mix. At the same time, DA has been expressing how they’re going to stick with the plan - just not sure at what point the plan is to use draft capital for established players.
I say this as an honest question, but do we actually know what the plan is? We know drafting and developing players is an important part of the plan. We know we are not going to bottom out or try for better picks. We know there is interest in being in the playoffs sooner than later.

But what is the actual plan? Is it that we just go through the motions with marginal improvements till the kids get here?

I haven’t seen an interview where Army lays out the details. It’s always been very vague and nebulous. Does someone have a link to where he actually lays out the specifics?

Reactions: AyeBah and The Note

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I say this as an honest question, but do we actually know what the plan is? We know drafting and developing players is an important part of the plan. We know we are not going to bottom out or try for better picks. We know there is interest in being in the playoffs sooner than later.

But what is the actual plan? Is it that we just go through the motions with marginal improvements till the kids get here?

I haven’t seen an interview where Army lays out the details. It’s always been very vague and nebulous. Does someone have a link to where he actually lays out the specifics?
We don’t know the fine details, no. DA has said that the Kings are an example of what they want to do (faster re-whatever). But we don’t know an exact timeline. I get the sense that they want to start actually competing by the time Steen takes over, but who knows. Tying this to the 2025 draft, I’m curious if the plan involves deviating from developing through the draft if the Blues seem more competitive this year - if they make the POs for instance, whoever they draft in the late teens/early 20s likely would take 3-4 years to make any sort of impact, whereas trading it could yield an immediate impact. Too many variables though to speculate.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
We don’t know the fine details, no. DA has said that the Kings are an example of what they want to do (faster re-whatever). But we don’t know an exact timeline. I get the sense that they want to start actually competing by the time Steen takes over, but who knows. Tying this to the 2025 draft, I’m curious if the plan involves deviating from developing through the draft if the Blues seem more competitive this year - if they make the POs for instance, whoever they draft in the late teens/early 20s likely would take 3-4 years to make any sort of impact, whereas trading it could yield an immediate impact. Too many variables though to speculate.
But we aren’t following the Kings approach, so even that isn’t helpful. If it just meant Army wants it quick, I am not sure what to take away from that. The how is absent.

Maybe the plan is wait for Steen, tinker with the bottom 6, and hope our scouts make us look smart?

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
But we aren’t following the Kings approach, so even that isn’t helpful. If it just meant Army wants it quick, I am not sure what to take away from that. The how is absent.

Maybe the plan is wait for Steen, tinker with the bottom 6, and hope our scouts make us look smart?
Yep. Any sort of Kings comparison is disgusting. I actually have a look of disgust on my face at the mere thought of it.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

He has been I think intentionally vague, but it has become clear that Army doesn't believe that tearing it to the studs is right path. He wants to remain competitive, provide opportunities for kids, but make them earn jobs. It seems he wants us to be ready to be a plausible playoff team when Steen takes over, although I don't believe he has said that. In the interim it seems like remaining competitive to facilitate the right kind of development for our kids seems to be focus. I think a large part of what he wants to guard against the just giving kids key roles and not making them earn it, as that can lead to entitlement and loser mentality that has tripped up many rebuilding teams.

He has said that he wants us to be bigger and faster, so it seems obvious that he realizes that krug was a mistake and we know he has been trying to deal him. It doesn't seem that he wants to deal many of the other guys who we have signed longer-term, although I get the sense that Saad is likely being shopped. I suspect more will be shopped as they get closer to the end of their contracts and we can get rental returns for them. But again, that is more guys like leddy next year, as it seems like Parayko and Thomas and Buchy are key pillars and I don't see him looking to move Binny unless and until he thinks Hofer can be 1a. I think he would move Faulk if he got real return, but he doesn't want to move Faulk and create hole in lineup unless it's truly worth it.

The Kings reference seems like it was Army's way of saying that he didn't just want to wait for kids to marinate, but he wanted to bring in guys (like Kings did with Danault) to remain competitive and supplement the kids. Now, Kings seem to have gone offtrack, demonstrating the perils of this path, but there are peris on all paths. Anyway, based on what Army has said over past year+ and what we know that he has tried to do, that seems to me what his plan genrally is.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
He has been I think intentionally vague, but it has become clear that Army doesn't believe that tearing it to the studs is right path. He wants to remain competitive, provide opportunities for kids, but make them earn jobs. It seems he wants us to be ready to be a plausible playoff team when Steen takes over, although I don't believe he has said that. In the interim it seems like remaining competitive to facilitate the right kind of development for our kids seems to be focus. I think a large part of what he wants to guard against the just giving kids key roles and not making them earn it, as that can lead to entitlement and loser mentality that has tripped up many rebuilding teams.

He has said that he wants us to be bigger and faster, so it seems obvious that he realizes that krug was a mistake and we know he has been trying to deal him. It doesn't seem that he wants to deal many of the other guys who we have signed longer-term, although I get the sense that Saad is likely being shopped. I suspect more will be shopped as they get closer to the end of their contracts and we can get rental returns for them. But again, that is more guys like leddy next year, as it seems like Parayko and Thomas and Buchy are key pillars and I don't see him looking to move Binny unless and until he thinks Hofer can be 1a. I think he would move Faulk if he got real return, but he doesn't want to move Faulk and create hole in lineup unless it's truly worth it.

The Kings reference seems like it was Army's way of saying that he didn't just want to wait for kids to marinate, but he wanted to bring in guys (like Kings did with Danault) to remain competitive and supplement the kids. Now, Kings seem to have gone offtrack, demonstrating the perils of this path, but there are peris on all paths. Anyway, based on what Army has said over past year+ and what we know that he has tried to do, that seems to me what his plan genrally is.
It just seems like a lot of staying in neutral, wishing and praying if that is the case.

We still don’t even know if there is a style of play we are going for.

His intentional vagueness is not inspiring confidence. Nor are his moves since the one year sell off.

Big and fast as targets is kind of an underwhelming position. It is one that has doomed many franchises because they miss out on IQ and skill by over prioritizing physical characteristics.

I really want to understand this vision and hope it inspires, because right now it’s just a bummer. If it wasn’t for our scouts, I would not have much to be hopeful about.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It just seems like a lot of staying in neutral, wishing and praying if that is the case.

We still don’t even know if there is a style of play we are going for.

His intentional vagueness is not inspiring confidence. Nor are his moves since the one year sell off.

Big and fast as targets is kind of an underwhelming position. It is one that has doomed many franchises because they miss out on IQ and skill by over prioritizing physical characteristics.

I really want to understand this vision and hope it inspires, because right now it’s just a bummer. If it wasn’t for our scouts, I would not have much to be hopeful about.
I get the frustration. This is the not as fun a part, as we aren't tearing down or building as much as we are tending to our crops right now. I'm not sure how much it feels like that because he has been vague versus we really kinda do need to wait for our kids to mature a bit to better see where they project. Is he being vague because of that uncertainty or because he doesn't want to telegraph to rival teams every move that he wants to make? Both?

As to style, it certainly seems like they want to get back to something more akin to what we played in the decade leading up to our Cup. Hard on pucks, aggressive forecheck, focus on guys who win puck battles. Size and speed have been more prioritized to a degree, but we value hockey sense and compete over pure speed. Again, these preferences are based on what Army and Feltrin and Taylor have said in recent interviews, along with observing the players we have been picking over last year or 2. I don't think we have stopped looking for IQ and hockey sense, but that peru and krug have reminded us that there is a threshold size players need (unless they are truly exceptional which our little guys ain't).

And if you look at some of these prospects, we are trying to build team that has the type of players that I think you and I both would want, not just big dumb guys who skate fast to no particular effect. They've talked about how Stenberg (who isn't huge) "drags guys into the fight" and Lindstein isn't exceptional physically but is obviously a very smart player, a D with great hockey sense. Neither of these guys are just big and fast and maybe not that bright. We are prioritizing size, but it's not just fetishizing size. Especially with higher picks. Stenberg has a bit of Schwartz's puckhounding game, Lindstein plays a bit like Petro (not as big, reminds me more of Josi actually), but the bottom 6 especially we seem to want to bring back the identity type of guys we had in our Cup run. Kos and Pekarcik and Stancl all meet that.

Again, not saying this will or won't work, but this seems to be what we are trying to do. I think you and I share concern that we may build great supporting cast but won't have strong enough core strength, particularly if one or more of these kids don't really hit. I am maybe a bit less concerned, because I have more confidence that we are going to accumulate enough good to really good players that we can potentially deal for another star if we need to. It's not like teams like Ottawa and Buffalo got smart all of a sudden.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad