2025 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Isn’t Lev filling that role?
I suspect Lev's ceiling is more of a #2 and more likely to end up a #3 than a #1. I would LOVE to be wrong and Lev develop into a true #1. Worst case you use another high draft pick on a D you end up with two #1 type D which is an awesome problem to have.

Reactions: wladyslaw

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Most realistic hope is tgat Hawks go to 73-77u points ...so probably 5th -7th pre-lotto...but what happens if they get lucky and rise to #2 or #1pre-lotto?

Hawks do not need more smaller centers.. so if a team desperately wants Hagens or Frondell or Ryabkin at #1or#2Hawks shoukd trade it down to get what they need=big power wingers (Martone or McQueen...IF Hawks stay put and end up drafting only 5th to 7thwith no lotto win,it coukd turn into a Schaefer or Hensler dman pick should the big power forwards be off the board..What else can you do...unless a goalie goes off that early ?

The bigger question is how high will Hawks finish in 25/26 season? This is because If Hawks are still a lotto team they get a chance at #1or#2again if finish no hogher that 11rhvor 12th pre-lotto ..If they get a move up to #2I would trade it up to #1of I could..I woukd obviously offer the #2and tge entire rest of our draft to get #1 in 2026 and I would throw in our #1for 2027 to get that top maker.. obviously Ethan Bellchetz ( the #1pick in the 2024 OHL draft ) tge stud LWwho is already 6'4 230 lbs and a talented dominating player ) If we do not get tge #1or#2pick in 2026 via lotto we probably draft 12th-16th by then . But maybe if we offered the lotto winner for#1our entire 2026 and 2027 drafts they might go for it..?That mich draftvcapital foec1 suoer star Big dominant pkayer coukd helotgecworst teamstockiple tton of talent depth in a quicker time that it usually takes a re-build.

Alas we can only dream..

Last edited:

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Most realistic hope is tgat Hawks go to 73-77u points ...so probably 5th -7th pre-lotto...but what happens if they get lucky and rise to #2 or #1pre-lotto?

Hawks do not need more smaller centers.. so if a team desperately wants Hagens or Frondell or Ryabkin at #1or#2Hawks shoukd trade it down to get what they need=big power wingers (Martone or McQueen...IF Hawks stay put and end up drafting only 5th to 7thwith no lotto win,it coukd turn into a Schaefer or Hensler dman pick should the big power forwards be off the board..What else can you do...unless a goalie goes off that early ?

The bigger question is how high will Hawks finish in 25/26 season? This is because If Hawks are still a lotto team they get a chance at #1or#2again if finish no hogher that 11rhvor 12th pre-lotto ..If they get a move up to #2I would trade it up to #1of I could..I woukd obviously offer the #2and tge entire rest of our draft to get #1 in 2026 and I would throw in our #1for 2027 to get that top maker.. obviously Ethan Bellchetz ( the #1pick in the 2024 OHL draft ) tge stud LWwho is already 6'4 230 lbs and a talented dominating player ) If we do not get tge #1or#2pick in 2026 via lotto we probably draft 12th-16th by then . But maybe if we offered the lotto winner for#1our entire 2026 and 2027 drafts they might go for it..?That mich draftvcapital foec1 suoer star Big dominant pkayer coukd helotgecworst teamstockiple tton of talent depth in a quicker time that it usually takes a re-build.

Alas we can only dream..

There's no way you trade out of picking Hagens.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
A much deeper top 10 off the bat this year hawks should yet another good one this year you guys have a chance to get a 1st line stud wingman for Bedard, a potential play driving 1c to play 2c role behind Bedard or round out the defense with another high end potential top pairing guy to go with lev, korchinski, vlasic, rinzel, Allen and etc... Hawks management will probably pick up another first by deadline if they are out by then or they may very well squeak in with the new vet additions I could imagine hall, Jones and potentially Dickinson could be used as assets by TDL time for teams looking to bolster their squad for a playoff run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92

ello

Jun 12, 2018
A much deeper top 10 off the bat this year hawks should yet another good one this year you guys have a chance to get a 1st line stud wingman for Bedard, a potential play driving 1c to play 2c role behind Bedard or round out the defense with another high end potential top pairing guy to go with lev, korchinski, vlasic, rinzel, Allen and etc... Hawks management will probably pick up another first by deadline if they are out by then or they may very well squeak in with the new vet additions I could imagine hall, Jones and potentially Dickinson could be used as assets by TDL time for teams looking to bolster their squad for a playoff run.
We say this every year and it never happens

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
We say this every year and it never happens
'25 draft extra 1st already from a TDL moving McCabe/Lafferty
'24 draft an extra 1st from TDL move of Hagel
'23 draft an extra first from TDL moving of Hagel

Becasue the TDL move does not net a 1st in the next draft does not mean the Hawks have not been making the moves for 1st in future drafts. Assuming we end up with ONLY the two 1st this next drafts, we'll have made TEN 1st round picks in the last four drafts

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Agree that Hall is very likely on the move at the deadline. I'd be surprised if Dickinson was moved because he would still have an extra year on his deal and the Hawks paid a pretty significant "salary bonus" to get him to resign with a shit team - so he's pretty significantly overpaid for his likely production. It's HIGHLY unlikely that Jones moves because he would have 5+ years left on his contract and while I don't think his contract is as bad as some others do, it's unlikely a contender has enough cap room to add him long term without retention, which the Hawks aren't going to want to do for that long a contract.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Agree that Hall is very likely on the move at the deadline. I'd be surprised if Dickinson was moved because he would still have an extra year on his deal and the Hawks paid a pretty significant "salary bonus" to get him to resign with a shit team - so he's pretty significantly overpaid for his likely production. It's HIGHLY unlikely that Jones moves because he would have 5+ years left on his contract and while I don't think his contract is as bad as some others do, it's unlikely a contender has enough cap room to add him long term without retention, which the Hawks aren't going to want to do for that long a contract.
There is absolutely no reason the Hawks can/should not retain on any contract that only runs through next season like Dickinson's to maximize any potential trade. Hawks have roughly 35 million in cap space for next Summer with deals coming off the books and the expected increase in the cap. We are built to be adding 2-3 ELC rookies into the lineup each year for several to come.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
There is absolutely no reason the Hawks can/should not retain on any contract that only runs through next season like Dickinson's to maximize any potential trade. Hawks have roughly 35 million in cap space for next Summer with deals coming off the books and the expected increase in the cap. We are built to be adding 2-3 ELC rookies into the lineup each year for several to come.
Every permutation of salary and trade should already be considered and mapped by Kyle from Chicago covering the next three seasons, with more expected fluidity the farther out from this season.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
'25 draft extra 1st already from a TDL moving McCabe/Lafferty
'24 draft an extra 1st from TDL move of Hagel
'23 draft an extra first from TDL moving of Hagel

Becasue the TDL move does not net a 1st in the next draft does not mean the Hawks have not been making the moves for 1st in future drafts. Assuming we end up with ONLY the two 1st this next drafts, we'll have made TEN 1st round picks in the last four drafts
I dont think the original poster meant that we'd be trading an asset for a 2027 first

ello

Jun 12, 2018
How does Hagens compare to Hughes? Seems like the natural comparable to me

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Attachments

• f1nq94btwppgdkxy1hbf.png
    f1nq94btwppgdkxy1hbf.png
    343.1 KB · Views: 4

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
How does Hagens compare to Hughes? Seems like the natural comparable to me
More physically ready despite same size better away from the puck than Hughes although a really good skater not on the same level and the vision and skill isn't as high end still a solid number 1 potential pick but is he an rnh or a Mackinnon

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
More physically ready despite same size better away from the puck than Hughes although a really good skater not on the same level and the vision and skill isn't as high end still a solid number 1 potential pick but is he an rnh or a Mackinnon

MacKinnon is better than Hughes.
Hughes is better than RNH.

So will Hagens meet the standard of MacKinnon or will he be more of a Hughes or an RNH?

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
MacKinnon is better than Hughes.
Hughes is better than RNH.

So will Hagens meet the standard of MacKinnon or will he be more of a Hughes or an RNH?
It's more of a question on where he falls on the floor vs ceiling compared to previous no. 1s

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
MacKinnon is a top-3 player in the world. That's not Hagen's potential right now. But he has high-end offensive star potential. He honestly looks a lot like Cooley. So maybe think of Cooley as Hagens-lite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad