2025 NHL Draft Thread

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Good thing we have extra picks to package in a move up in draft. At this trade deadline we should have even more in the bank . Probably 3 more 1st rders is my guess when all is said and done, keep the two we have and package our 2nd's plus to move up in top 10 to a team badly in need .

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanDream

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Makes you wonder if drafting outside of the top 5 picks you get from tanking is a little overrated. As are prospects in general. You can use that capital to get NHL players instead that are more proven commodities. You lose some cap space efficiency in doing this but it's clearly a viable strategy.

Bobrovsky is also a really interesting case because his contract was looked at as an albatross until the last two seasons. Goalies really are voodoo. I'm not sure how I'd feel about KD giving out a mega contract to an elite goalie (Shesterkin reportedly wants $12.9m AAV!! lol ).
I'll play Devil's advocate, because FLA has been masterful at turning other people trash into their treasure. The problem is that you can't count on replicating that, just like you can't say "draft well after the 1st round" and have that be a strategy. Every organization tries to do both of those, with the majority of time it failing.

In general - I don't think there is one specific methodology to win. It comes down stupid generalities but IMO:
1) Add quality NHL player via every way possible (primarily draft, but trade/waiver as well).
2) Ensure Rockford has quality coaches/resources to properly develop talent and they are aligned with the Hawks proposed style of play.
3) Ensure strong internal culture and good mix of style of player
4) Avoid crippling cap hits, especially those lasting multiple years

It's interesting how different the approach was between FLA/EDM, and just because one team won and the other lost doesn't prove that one approach is better than the other. I think that both teams had "un-copyable" approaches. EDM with "draft 2 of the top 5 players in the league in back to back years, including a top 5 player OF ALL TIME" and FLA with "win just about every trade and get 2 top pair d-men (Forsling, Montour) and 50% of your elite top 2 lines (Verhaege, Reinhart, Bennett) for almost free".

Reactions: x Tame Impala

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'll play Devil's advocate, because FLA has been masterful at turning other people trash into their treasure. The problem is that you can't count on replicating that, just like you can't say "draft well after the 1st round" and have that be a strategy. Every organization tries to do both of those, with the majority of time it failing.
Yes, as much as we like to plan and take control, so much of it just comes down to "luck". All you can do is try your best and hope situations work out on the positive side of the range. Nobody would have guessed Gustav Forsling could be leading a Stanley Cup winning team in ice time during the Playoffs. He was cast aside by two teams and passed over by 31/31 teams when he was placed on Waivers on September 30, 2019 as a 23 year old. That doesn't mean Florida/Zito doesn't get "credit" for picking him up off waivers on January 9, 2021 or for putting him in positions to succeed, I don't go to that extreme. But there's a lot of nuance to it. Similar to the Hawks during their last run with a trade for say Patrick Sharp, nobody would have guessed he'd have that level of impact at the time. All you can do is take advantages of opportunities, get players that fit your timeline, make calculated moves and hope for the best.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I'm a bit torn... I would love to see them be able to draft another great player in the first round but at the same time, I don't want the team to be bad enough AGAIN this year for that to even be a possibility.

In reality, barring a barrage of injuries and bad luck, I really can't imagine this roster with the additions/subtractions that have occurred being bad enough to be near or at a lotto pick.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I'm a bit torn... I would love to see them be able to draft another great player in the first round but at the same time, I don't want the team to be bad enough AGAIN this year for that to even be a possibility.

In reality, barring a barrage of injuries and bad luck, I really can't imagine this roster with the additions/subtractions that have occurred being bad enough to be near or at a lotto pick.
98 points made the playoffs in the west. we had 52. we added 6-10 pts in goalie wins. 5 on D and 10-14 on offence. that is something in the 70's. I do not see any way we make the playoffs. the 8 playoff teams are pretty locked in the west. stars, jets, lanche, nashville. canucks, LA, Edmonton, knights. there is huge gap from the bottom 8 and the top 8. IMO

Reactions: HawksDub89

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

This roster is still bad lol.

This will almost certainly be a lottery team.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I don't think the team is remotely close to being anywhere near a playoff contender, but I can see them finishing with 70ish points, barring injuries to crucial players.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Agree 100% - Hawks could improve by 20 points, and still easily end up top 5.

Team, Points Last Year
SJ, 47
CHI 52
ANA 59
CLM 66
MON 76
UTA 77
OTT 78
SEA 81
CGY 81
BUFF 84

Demonstrably worse than the Hawks - SJ & maybe ANA. Going to be a long year in SJ with a lot of kids playing before they are ready. ANA could surprise with a lot of young talent maybe ready to make the next step, but I think they are still more than a year away.

I expect the Hawks to end up with 70-75 points, primarily based on a back-up goalie who when gets a start is not a guaranteed loss, plus having a much deeper group of skaters. Still expect to be major seller at TDL. Downside risk is Mrazek falls back to earth and cannot replicate a truly great performance last season. Upside risk is Bedard goes bat-shyte insane and turns into a monster when playing with legit NHL scoring line talent.

Similar to Hawks: CGY - they pretty much gutted their rosters - likely depends on how Wolf does in goal.

Likely better than the Hawks: CLM/MON - young teams that IMO are trending up after disappointing year last year.

Highly likely better than the Hawks: SEA/BUFF/UTA/OTT - SEA/UTA/OTT significant upgrades to roster or goaltending. BUFF disappointed last year - expect bounce back and young guys to help BUFF progress.

I know I've got a lot of the bad teams improving, but I expect that they'll be more competitive and have fewer "easy points" for the top teams than last year. In either case - IMO it seems unlikely the Hawks climb better than around 4-5 OA.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
How could Calgary still be that good?
To about 70 points? They still have Kadri/Sharangovich/Coleman/Huberdeau/Backlund/Kuzmenko in their top 6, and Weeger/Andersen on the blueline. They did have 3 30 goals guys and Kuz pacing for 40. The guys they lost (Lindholm, Mangiapane) had really disappointing seasons last year. Depends a lot on Wolf next year, but Markstrom was only a .905. Really depends on how the team handles the changes and IMO is one of those teams that could end up anywhere from 70-90 points and I wouldn't be surprised.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Forget thec2024 draft..forget the 2025draft..
Look what are targets should be on
..I believe we have 10 picks (incl. 1 forst and 3 2nds) ...maybe we should do a Ditka and offer the entire draft picksxee have for 1 target ..not for GavinMckenna (cause we already have our Generational talent) but for our Size +talent difference-maker?

Ethan Belchetz is 6"4,231
..already at 16 !!!(March 30,2008)and has loads of talent...

Simon Katolicky at 15 (July 24,3008) is already 6'4 187 and uber talented as well..

Joel Iginla is only 5'10 151 now..but he is only 15 turning 16 on August 13th this year..so he may spurt and be much bigger by draft time...we shall see..again very talented.
Notcsure I give an entire draft for hom ...but we shall see how much or if he grows .

Looks like2026will be a very good and deeply talented draft eve from this distance out.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
if we draft outside the Top 8 will mean we were much better than expected and the guys we want to show up have done that.
This would speed up our rebuild because of a massiv improvment and growth by the yound players/prospects.

That's not going to happen.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Still very early on, but I think Martone could dethrone Hagens as the number 1 oa. Martone is an outstanding player that would be the perfect piece to add alongside Bedard.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Sharks are the only team that are clearly worse than us on paper.

We are in a tier with Flames Ducks Montreal and Blue Jackets after that.

top 6 pick IMO

I would love Hagens Frondell Martone or Mcqueen at this point. Ryabkin after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad