2025 FISU Hockey - Torino, Italy

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Do they take players from across the country or just a particular conference?

The coaching release states this:

Howell and the staff will be evaluating players across the country, with a roster announcement scheduled for later this fall. The Games run January 13-23, 2025 in Torino, Italy.

Reactions: Rob

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It will probably be the standard "selects" team - each coach usually selects at least one player from his own team, and then they select veteran players from across USports who don't have an exam or course conflicts. I believe there is a cap on the number of players from one school (3 or 4?).

Last edited:
Reactions: AUS Fan

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It will probaably the standard "selects" team - each coach usually selects at least one player from his own team, and then they select veteran players from across USports who don't have an exam or course conflicts. I believe there is a cap on the number of players from one school (3 or 4?).

From a selfish standpoint I hope it is only 2.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Do they take players from across the country or just a particular conference?
It will probaably the standard "selects" team - each coach usually selects at least one player from his own team, and then they select veteran players from across USports who don't have an exam or course conflicts. I believe there is a cap on the number of players from one school (3 or 4?).
I can't see anyone from UPEI cracking the lineup. In 2023 the AUS had 8 guys on the roster. Expect Howell and Gibby to put at least 2 of their guys on. If UofA is a no-show like last time, expect 6-8 CW players.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I have a totally different viewpoint on this. It's great when guys get to play for a National team. It gets them exposure, they get to play with other great players.

In 2007, we took 4 players from UNB, STU and UdeM, 3 from SMU, 2 from ACA and SFX, 1 from DAL and UPEI. 3 AUS head coaches left their teams. Everyone back home survived. The guys that went loved it.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
UNB hasn’t lost a game in a year and a half lol, from an entertainment standpoint it would probably make the UNB games closer . Not to take this conversation off topic and it’s kind of a touchy subject as a sports fan because no one actively want their team to be worse and you always want your team to win but I’d be lying if I said I don’t kind of miss going to the rink and wondering who was going to win the game . I want UNB to win every game but i don’t want to see them thump everyone 8-2 , if they are a few guys short and that 8-2 game becomes a 4-2 game , I’m going to have a better time .

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UNB hasn’t lost a game in a year and a half lol, from an entertainment standpoint it would probably make the UNB games closer . Not to take this conversation off topic and it’s kind of a touchy subject as a sports fan because no one actively want their team to be worse and you always want your team to win but I’d be lying if I said I don’t kind of miss going to the rink and wondering who was going to win the game . I want UNB to win every game but i don’t want to see them thump everyone 8-2 , if they are a few guys short and that 8-2 game becomes a 4-2 game , I’m going to have a better time .
Again, I think this is the wrong approach. You should be happy for your player(s) getting a chance to play for their country, not be concerned that the team may lose a game.

Reactions: Campy

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Again, I think this is the wrong approach. You should be happy for your player(s) getting a chance to play for their country, not be concerned that the team may lose a game.
Obviously what I was trying to say came across wrong , I was trying to tell him that if you win 7-2 or 4-2 is kind of irrelevant when you haven’t lost in a year and a half but i see reading back how it could have been taken that way.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Yeah - but which two (without it hurting). UNB plays UdM, ACD, SMU, DAL SFX in that span. I don't think we can afford to lose Richard for that stretch.
Again, the same "selfish" approach to this. In 2007 we took the Best Player from UPEI, Paul Drew. Matter of fact, he was the only decent player on that team and I don't mean to disparage them. Drewsie was the best goalie in the tournament. Not sure if we win Gold without him.

They probably won't take Richard. UNB goalies aren't 'good enough' since they 'play behind the best defence'.
Want some cheese with that whine?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad