2025 Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This type of analysis ignores the biggest source of improvement that teams experience year over year: young players getting better over time.

When the Jackets get better, it won't be because of a free agent signing or trade acquisition. It will be players like Chinakhov, Johnson, Jiricek and Fantilli simply maturing into the high end players they have shown glimpses of being.

Absolutely. Though for me that is a step forward that young players give you after a few years in the league. For now, guys like Fantilli and certainly Jiricek are going to cause as much chaos for us as they will for the opposing club. The Jackets are still too young. I'm liking where Chinakhov is at though, I think he might pop.

That's true. But the young players of most of the teams listed there will also improve. Why would that be a bigger factor for Columbus?

We've just got more young players. Though that doesn't usually help until they've got a few years of experience.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
And two years ago who predicted the Bruins would be a playoff team (never mind President's Trophy winners) or that the Devils were playoff bound? And be honest, who had the Devils not making the playoffs this year, the Knights making it as the last playoff team or that the Canucks and Caps were making the playoffs?

From year to year you never know. You don't know which teams are going to have collective career years up or down, which teams will be decimated by injuries and which teams youngsters are going to figure it out all at once. The year the CBJ made the playoffs with Steve Mason as a rookie, none of us saw it coming.

I am not saying you are wrong or right, just saying none of us know. It's why they play the games.
Columbus is still at that point where they haven't figured out what exactly they lack and if that can be filled internally with experience or by bringing in outside talent. Often, when a team gets those top 6-8 guys in the right role, the rest comes together fast.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
If you want to learn some of the top names for 2025.

Thanks, a good primer for us casual draft followers.

Inspired by the "Demigod" thread on the mains, I know what I'd nickname Desnoyers if he becomes an offensive threat... :D Ravensbergen is too easy but cool nonetheless, too, especially for a goalie.

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
Semi-related to ‘25 draft because I’d be interested to see how Don handles them with more time. Been pretty frustrated that we haven’t taken any Russians in the last few drafts. I’m not referring to the Michkov or Demidov types. More like Marchenko and Voronkovs beyond the first round. Then I realized we no longer had a Russia based scout on staff. Haven’t bothered to replace him. Really interesting given that some of our more prepared players have hailed from Russia.

Russia scout for reference: Boris Yemelyanov

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
The canes did so I’m waiting to see if Don will rehire a scout. I didnt anticipate an immediate hire when he came in. However, I have some theories that we’ve been told to stop with the Russians. I have no legitimate sources on that but it’s weird to go from typically drafting one every year to nothing and not having a scout.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The canes did so I’m waiting to see if Don will rehire a scout. I didnt anticipate an immediate hire when he came in. However, I have some theories that we’ve been told to stop with the Russians. I have no legitimate sources on that but it’s weird to go from typically drafting one every year to nothing and not having a scout.

The last few years of Jarmo’s drafting shifted away from Europe and he started drafting a lot of small guys. I broke it out one time. @majormajor was the only one that had an explanation that made sense and it involved the type of models that the analytics guys used and when the analytics guys were hired. Personally I think Jarmo should have stayed drafting the Bjorkstrands and Gavrikovs and avoided the 5’8” guys.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and EspenK

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Maybe a bit simplistic, but not having a Russian scout or drafting too many Russians could also have been an abundance of caution, given the timeline of everything. The risks may have seemed really high in 2022-2023 and maybe they just decided to not take chances. In hindsight that was the wrong call, but I certainly can't blame that kind of thinking.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
It could also be that they simply had players rated higher throughout the draft process. I don't think anyone has been told not to draft Russians. The political climate certainly could change that, but there is a big advantage to drafting them (especially with later round picks).... you have their rights until you decline to keep them if they don't sign. They can stay in Russia for 2, 5, 7 years and then you can see if you have that diamond in the rough or a player that wants to, and can, play in the NHL.

Reactions: koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It could also be that they simply had players rated higher throughout the draft process. I don't think anyone has been told not to draft Russians. The political climate certainly could change that, but there is a big advantage to drafting them (especially with later round picks).... you have their rights until you decline to keep them if they don't sign. They can stay in Russia for 2, 5, 7 years and then you can see if you have that diamond in the rough or a player that wants to, and can, play in the NHL.

The success with the Russians is in part due to the fact we didn’t get a chance to screw up their development. (plus good scouting and other teams avoiding scouting/drafting Russians)

Letting a mid or later round kid develop in Russia where he can be moved up and down between VHL, MHL, and KHL and develop at his own pace makes a lot of sense to me.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
The success with the Russians is in part due to the fact we didn’t get a chance to screw up their development. (plus good scouting and other teams avoiding scouting/drafting Russians)

Letting a mid or later round kid develop in Russia where he can be moved up and down between VHL, MHL, and KHL and develop at his own pace makes a lot of sense to me.
I'm excited to see how Ivanov, Makarov and Dolzy develop and see how they compare to our current young Russians

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
The last few years of Jarmo’s drafting shifted away from Europe and he started drafting a lot of small guys. I broke it out one time. @majormajor was the only one that had an explanation that made sense and it involved the type of models that the analytics guys used and when the analytics guys were hired. Personally I think Jarmo should have stayed drafting the Bjorkstrands and Gavrikovs and avoided the 5’8” guys.
Do you have a link to this? I’d certainly be interested in reading this!

Reactions: Fred Glover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad