2024 World U17 Hockey Challenge

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
The event is a premier international tournament for some U17 hockey nations, and one of the first opportunities for many players to represent their country on a national level. The tournament is taking place in Sarnia, from Nov. 3-Nov. 9.

Training camp rosters have began to be announced, with Canada announcing their camp roster, who's camp is taking place from July 19 to July 23.

Some notable omissions to Canada's camp, as far as I can tell, are:

D Zachary Nyman
D Kent Greer
F Noah Kosick
F Jordan Duguay
F Cooper Williams
F Maximus Crete

Kosick, and Nyman are both playing in the BCHL next year, which notably withdrew from Hockey Canada last year. Perhaps that's a factor for them.

It's also interesting just how many of the best D at this years camp are R-shot.

Blonda, Chartrand, DuPont (the only 2009), Lin, Liske, Rudolph, and Verhoeff would all be amongst my favorites to actually make the team, and they're all R-shot. DuPont, and Rudolph are locks to make the team, with Liske, and Verhoeff being close to locks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The event is a premier international tournament for some U17 hockey nations, and one of the first opportunities for many players to represent their country on a national level. The tournament is taking place in Sarnia, from Nov. 3-Nov. 9.

Training camp rosters have began to be announced, with Canada announcing their camp roster, who's camp is taking place from July 19 to July 23.

D Zachary Nyman
D Kent Greer
F Noah Kosick
F Jordan Duguay
F Cooper Williams
F Maximus Crete

Kosick, and Nyman are both playing in the BCHL next year, which notably withdrew from Hockey Canada last year. Perhaps that's a factor for them.

It's also interesting just how many of the best D at this years camp are R-shot.

Blonda, Chartrand, DuPont (the only 2009), Lin, Liske, Rudolph, and Verhoeff would all be amongst my favorites to actually make the team, and they're all R-shot. DuPont, and Rudolph are locks to make the team, with Liske, and Verhoeff being close to locks.
Considering how many players were invited it's obvious to me that Kosick and Nyman were both snubbed by HC, even if I'm not sure they make the team, Nyman is certainly in the top 20 Dmen available to Canada.

Diddo Kosick among forwards as they invited around 45+ forwards.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Considering how many players were invited it's obvious to me that Kosick and Nyman were both snubbed by HC, even if I'm not sure they make the team, Nyman is certainly in the top 20 Dmen available to Canada.

Diddo Kosick among forwards as they invited around 45+ forwards.
Caleb Malholtra, another BCHL guy, was snubbed as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

D Zachary Nyman
D Kent Greer
F Noah Kosick
F Jordan Duguay
F Cooper Williams
F Maximus Crete

It's a Hockey Canada organized tournament to identify players for future IIHF competitions. It makes sense that Hockey Canada would not invite kids that aren't IIHF eligible (even if they could become IIHF eligible in the future) (Note: the BCHL is the only league that I am aware of that prevents IIHF eligibility).

Reactions: digicamo

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's a Hockey Canada organized tournament to identify players for future IIHF competitions. It makes sense that Hockey Canada would not invite kids that aren't IIHF eligible (even if they could become IIHF eligible in the future) (Note: the BCHL is the only league that I am aware of that prevents IIHF eligibility).
Just to clarify it's a beef between HC and the BCHL not some dictate from the IIHF and some of the top players don't seem to care and my bet is more top players will be going to the BCHL in the future.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Just to clarify it's a beef between HC and the BCHL not some dictate from the IIHF and some of the top players don't seem to care and my bet is more top players will be going to the BCHL in the future.
That's only partially correct.

IIHF rules state that a league must be affiliated with a member-nation. Technically, the BCHL could have applied for membership into the US federation (and potentially expanded south) and they would still have all of their players eligible. The BCHL is a well-respected league and is arguably the 5th best junior league in North America.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That's only partially correct.

IIHF rules state that a league must be affiliated with a member-nation. Technically, the BCHL could have applied for membership into the US federation (and potentially expanded south) and they would still have all of their players eligible. The BCHL is a well-respected league and is arguably the 5th best junior league in North America.
Fair enough but it seems that some young prospects are opting to play in the BCHL and skip any national considerations and of course if the players are good enough they will be welcomed back into the fold at higher levels no doubt.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Is the USHL a part of Hockey Canada then?
No, they are part of USA Hockey. The CHL is part of Hockey Canada (including the US-based teams).

The BCHL would have to add American teams for USA Hockey to even consider them, but they are already a good alternative for American players, so there could be a path forward there.

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
No, they are part of USA Hockey. The CHL is part of Hockey Canada (including the US-based teams).

The BCHL would have to add American teams for USA Hockey to even consider them, but they are already a good alternative for American players, so there could be a path forward there.
Then why are BCHL players omitted from U17 skates and USHL players are invited? Neither leagues support Hockey Canada...

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Because the USHL is part of USA hockey and USA hockey is recognized by the IIHF. The BCHL is not.
And there is a transfer agreement in place so that players in recognized/affiliated leagues in each league have standing.

Remember, too, that insurance remains a thing. Players who are registered with a Hockey Canada-affiliated league have insurance coverage for Hockey Canada-organized events. If one of those guys from the BCHL gets injured or injures another player, or causes something to happen which leads to a significant cost, who's on the hook for that cost. Dunno about anyone else, but any dealings I've had with insurance companies, they like to follow what their policies say, so having uninsured people in the mix would be a risk management nightmare.

Are there ways around that? Maybe. Are they worth the hassle for a couple of players? That's a bigger question.

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
Results:

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019

Couldn't find the Czech U17 thread so will post here:

Another nomination and again no Byrtus ... Anyone knows what's happening there? Kid is expected to go high in the draft, so is he injured or something?

Or did he leave us for US national team too? :D

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

Another nomination and again no Byrtus ... Anyone knows what's happening there? Kid is expected to go high in the draft, so is he injured or something?

He's definitely not injured, because he was already incredibly pissed off after the first nomination..

erikhamren

DWDWw
May 7, 2021
Sweden
Just for fun

Nordmark - Björck - Andersson
Olsson - Holmertz - Hermansson
Meijer - Josbrant - Bartholdsson
Näslund - Kim - Isaksson

Gustafsson - Elofsson
Palme - Jobs
Lidén - Ekberg
Lundqvist

Tjärnlund

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
He's definitely not injured, because he was already incredibly pissed off after the first nomination..
Well its a strange decision to leave him out, sure Idk perfectly the strenght of this group D yet, but it seems like he and Kachlir should be the leaders there eventhough a year younger

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Well its a strange decision to leave him out, sure Idk perfectly the strenght of this group D yet, but it seems like he and Kachlir should be the leaders there eventhough a year younger
Our federation loves to piss off players lol.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Based on what? To me he seems like an early developer, I don't see any guarantee he is an NHL propsect come draft day, which is three years away. Both him and Kachlir will likely remain smallish, but Kachlir is an outstanding talent, so he should remain relevant despite size issues (unless he tops out at 5'8" or smaller obviously). Which in my opinion should be the basis for taking an underager, be good enough and also possess enough upside going forward.

What does this mean? Pissed off he didn't make the U17 national team as an underager? He will get plenty of ice time with the U16 squad...

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Based on what? To me he seems like an early developer, I don't see any guarantee he is an NHL propsect come draft day, which is three years away. Both him and Kachlir will likely remain smallish, but Kachlir is an outstanding talent, so he should remain relevant despite size issues (unless he tops out at 5'8" or smaller obviously). Which in my opinion should be the basis for taking an underager, be good enough and also possess enough upside going forward.

What does this mean? Pissed off he didn't make the U17 national team as an underager? He will get plenty of ice time with the U16 squad...
Byrtus is 178cm and 82kg .. you find that not enough for a 15yrs old kid?

Give me a break with those size being a downside bs .. so what like NHL in 10yrs from now will be all just 200cm+ and 100kg+ players? Yeah that will be a fun hockey to watch ... skill > physical atrributes

• Haha
Reactions: Wooren

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Byrtus is 178cm and 82kg .. you find that not enough for a 15yrs old kid?

Give me a break with those size being a downside bs .. so what like NHL in 10yrs from now will be all just 200cm+ and 100kg+ players? Yeah that will be a fun hockey to watch ... skill > physical atrributes
How much growth do you think he has left if he is already 82kg as a 15 year old? Last year he was one of the heaviest player on the U16 squad, as an underager.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

I'm just writing what I heard and I don't have the slightest reason not to believe it. He wanted to be 100% with the U17 team..

Reactions: Wooren

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

D Zachary Nyman
D Kent Greer
F Noah Kosick
F Jordan Duguay
F Cooper Williams
F Maximus Crete

It is surprising to not see a first round pick in Greer not be invited. He’s a dynamic offensive talent, who albeit is small, can really skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad