WC: 2024 World Championship general discussion

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
russia is banned at the moment and rightfully so but there is no point not to mention them if you list the gold medalists and if you say the usssr medals can't be counted since it was soviet uniion and not russia then, for reasons of logical consistency, the csssr medals would also have to be listed separately and not credited to czechia but I think the main point of the post was not to mention russia at all is not right and there I have to agree
It was a dick move from the IIHF. No argument.

I do maintain Czechs at 3rd and Slovakia at 8th is also stupid. Should be Czechs have 12 golds and Slovaks have 8 golds IMO. The Slovak treatment by the IIHF always made my blood boil.

Reactions: Summer Rose

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
This the greatest celebration of our game.

This tournament in Prague.

The packed stands, celebratory atmosphere, the passion, the surprises, the joyful emotions of all the teams and fans, no matter the level of the games, it's absolutely a spectacle to witness.

The Olympics is the peak of our sport, but the best celebration of International Hockey comes at a Worlds in Prague.

So excited for every day there are games!

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I have not really read the other posts here so apologies if I am repeating others’ comments, but the Czech crowd really seems to me like the best international tournament hockey crowd ever.

Many stadiums hosting world championship games in “hockey nations” like Finland or Latvia are half empty or worse if the home teams or certain top teams are not playing. In the Czech Republic, even France - Kazakhstan today had an almost capacity crowd (and I guarantee there were no thousands of traveling fans from France or Kazakhstan).

I love this. No wonder the current attendance record is held by Prague / Ostrava 2015 and might be surpassed. It’s quite depressing seeing half empty stadiums at the world championships hosted in other places. In the Czech Republic, this tournament is just a celebration, doesn’t matter who plays or how many NHL stars are on the ice.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
This the greatest celebration of our game.

This tournament in Prague.

The packed stands, celebratory atmosphere, the passion, the surprises, the joyful emotions of all the teams and fans, no matter the level of the games, it's absolutely a spectacle to witness.

The Olympics is the peak of our sport, but the best celebration of International Hockey comes at a Worlds in Prague.

So excited for every day there are games!
it's up there, world juniors in Canada is the only tournament internationally that equals it.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
it's up there, world juniors in Canada is the only tournament internationally that equals it.
I'm in Prague this weekend and its just OK...I mean Prague is awesome as always but the hockey atmosphere is just ok.

I've been to 10+ WC's and its generally pretty fun but nothing that special.

I've been to many WJC in Canada and its fine as well.

U18's barely move the needle any city they are in - too niche a tournament.

Sochi was amazing, messed up & bizarre all at the same time.

The atmosphere atvthe NHL finals I have experienced (Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Chicago, Vancouver & Pittsburgh) blows all of the above out of the water.

The 2010 Olympics in Vancouver and the rest of Canada were absolutely mental. CompleteIy different level. I was on a domestic flight during the first CAN/US game and the pilot was giving updates after each goal. I was at most of the other Canada games and it was amazing before/during/after the games. My wife wasn't with me at the final and isn't from Canada. She was completely amazed at the empty streets and zero traffic during the game.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm in Prague this weekend and its just OK...I mean Prague is awesome as always but the hockey atmosphere is just ok.

I've been to 10+ WC's and its generally pretty fun but nothing that special.

I've been to many WJC in Canada and its fine as well.

U18's barely move the needle any city they are in - too niche a tournament.

Sochi was amazing, messed up & bizarre all at the same time.

The atmosphere atvthe NHL finals I have experienced (Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Chicago, Vancouver & Pittsburgh) blows all of the above out of the water.

The 2010 Olympics in Vancouver and the rest of Canada were absolutely mental. CompleteIy different level. I was on a domestic flight during the first CAN/US game and the pilot was giving updates after each goal. I was at most of the other Canada games and it was amazing before/during/after the games. My wife wasn't with me at the final and isn't from Canada. She was completely amazed at the empty streets and zero traffic during the game.
no question the earth stood still in Canada in 2010.

I'd still put the WJRS in Canada, especially the tournaments in halifax 2 years back and the one in otttawa right up there with almost anything. Prague has great atmosphere IMO..........splendid stuff.

Reactions: Czechboy

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

I'd still put the WJRS in Canada, especially the tournaments in halifax 2 years back and the one in otttawa right up there with almost anything. Prague has great atmosphere IMO..........splendid stuff.
But Prague always has a great atmosphere. It's one of the most fun cities on the planet. But I don't think the WC's make a huge difference except at some bars. It's not an all consuming thing like it was in Vancouver, a SCF in a hockey market or to a lesser extent in a WJC in Canada.

The Ottawa WJC was amazing but it was nothing compared to the SCF. I remember the day that Alfie scored in the ECF to send the Sens to the Finals. About 10k fans turned up spontaneously at the private airport to welcome the team back to Ottawa. It was insane. The players were in their cars with their phones video recording it as they drove through the crowd. That set the tone for the final!

Reactions: jj cale

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

Were you at the Worlds in Halifax?

That showed Halifax is just a fantastic hockey city. period.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
But Prague always has a great atmosphere. It's one of the most fun cities on the planet. But I don't think the WC's make a huge difference except at some bars. It's not an all consuming thing like it was in Vancouver, a SCF in a hockey market or to a lesser extent in a WJC in Canada.

The Ottawa WJC was amazing but it was nothing compared to the SCF. I remember the day that Alfie scored in the ECF to send the Sens to the Finals. About 10k fans turned up spontaneously at the private airport to welcome the team back to Ottawa. It was insane. The players were in their cars with their phones video recording it as they drove through the crowd. That set the tone for the final!
I was mostly talking about in game experience, not the outside stuff like bar atmosphere. Sure it's part of the whole deal but the actual games are where the rubber really meets the road.

And on that foot.................I stand by my assertion that the crowds at the world juniors in places like Halifax and Ottawa were nuts, the game crowd atmosphere was top shelf.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I was mostly talking about in game experience, not the outside stuff like bar atmosphere. Sure it's part of the whole deal but the actual games are where the rubber really meets the road.

And on that foot.................I stand by my assertion that the crowds at the world juniors in places like Halifax and Ottawa were nuts, the game crowd atmosphere was top shelf.
When Canada, the US or Sweden/ Finland were not playing , the stadiums in Canada for world juniors were sometimes pretty empty. That's the difference - in Prague / Ostrava, even Kazakhstan and France fill the place.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

I would agree with you when it comes to crowds.

Some SCF & some of the Best or Best tourney's transcend the stadium and take over the collective consciousness of a city or country. It doesn't happen often in sports but when it does its electric.

It's on a completely other level than what the WHC could ever bring. Stakes just aren't high enough and competition isn't good enough.

That being said I am having a great time in Prague and am sad I have to leave. Will be back later this week after an industry convention.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I would agree with you when it comes to crowds.

Some SCF & some of the Best or Best tourney's transcend the stadium and take over the collective consciousness of a city or country. It doesn't happen often in sports but when it does its electric.

It's on a completely other level than what the WHC could ever bring. Stakes just aren't high enough and competition isn't good enough.

That being said I am having a great time in Prague and am sad I have to leave. Will be back later this week after an industry convention.
You're a lucky man getting to go to all those events, enjoy it to the fullest!!

Been a dream of mine to go overseas to watch the WHC or world juniors............one of these days I swear,lol

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
When Canada, the US or Sweden/ Finland were not playing , the stadiums in Canada for world juniors were sometimes pretty empty. That's the difference - in Prague / Ostrava, even Kazakhstan and France fill the place.
This... I sort of feel like we are comparing a Canada final in Halifax at the U20 against Day 2 of the World Hockey Championships in Prague yesterday.

Instead of comparing a hometeam in the finals in their home country, it should be we look at attendance of 2 non home teams like Latvia vs Switzerland. Norway vs Denamrk. Then talk to me about crowds and attendance.lol

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
This... I sort of feel like we are comparing a Canada final in Halifax at the U20 against Day 2 of the World Hockey Championships in Prague yesterday.

Instead of comparing a hometeam in the finals in their home country, it should be we look at attendance of 2 non home teams like Latvia vs Switzerland. Norway vs Denamrk. Then talk to me about crowds and attendance.lol
sure, but fans from those countries are going to be able to attend their teams games far more easily in prague then in Canada, it's just far more accessible...............that has to be taken into consideration. That obviously leads to bigger crowds and better atmosphere for games like switzerland vs latvia in praque vs say.............ottawa. I mean, switzerland for instance is just a hop skip and a jump away.Going to Ottawa, that's a world away.

context.

Last edited:

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

Look at the attendance numbers at the WJC in Ottawa. All games were mostly sold out. Lowest attendance numbers in the big Arena was 17,300+ and at the civic centre was 9300 in a building with a 9800 capacity. That's pretty good attendance.

Also remember, Canada gets the WHC every other year.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Look at the attendance numbers at the WJC in Ottawa. All games were mostly sold out. Lowest attendance numbers in the big Arena was 17,300+ and at the civic centre was 9300 in a building with a 9800 capacity. That's pretty good attendance.

Also remember, Canada gets the WHC every other year.
As you know, I watch the Czech games very closely.. man do they play in half empty arenas when they don't play Canada in Canada.

Reactions: Old Man Jags

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
sure, but fans from those countries are going to be able to attend their teams games far more easily in prague then in Canada, it's just far more accessible...............that has to be taken into consideration. That obviously leads to bigger crowds and better atmosphere for games like switzerland vs latvia in praque vs say.............ottawa. I mean, switzerland for instance is just a hop skip and a jump away.Going to Ottawa, that's a world away.

context.
Often not really the case. For example, not a lot of French fans travel to Ostrava, and certainly very very few Kazakhs. Yet the stadium was full. This is the case for every game, no matter how very minor the nations involved in a hockey context.

And if you have ever attended a game of this type at world championships in the Czech Republic, as I have on previous occasions (Prague native - don’t live there but timed my visits accordingly), you’d know that at many such games, the very vast majority of conversations you hear will be in Czech.

That said, nobody doubts that Canada has more hockey fans as a proportion of population that any other country in the world!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad