OT: 2024 Weather Thread

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Westjet had 16 planes damaged during that massive hailstorm the other day.

“We are reaching out today with an update on our operations resulting from the severe rain and hailstorm in Calgary on Monday evening. After a comprehensive safety assessment, WestJet teams have determined that 16 aircraft require repair and inspections before they can be returned to service.”

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

“We are reaching out today with an update on our operations resulting from the severe rain and hailstorm in Calgary on Monday evening. After a comprehensive safety assessment, WestJet teams have determined that 16 aircraft require repair and inspections before they can be returned to service.”

Move their hub to YEG. This is clearly a sign.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Just mentioned in the OT thread that they were talking about lowering flights to gain back clients that were frustrated with them. Now this.

From what I've been reading and hearing they aren't doing themselves any favours. People on hold for hours trying to find out anything they can with regards to making different arrangements if flights are gonna be cancelled, but never get through. Others getting dropped off at airport only to find out their flight has been cancelled. Connecting flights being cancelled leaving people stuck.

I think a lot of people can understand this is an unforeseen issue that maybe couldn't be fully avoided. However, their lack of communication is what is truly making things worse for them.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just mentioned in the OT thread that they were talking about lowering flights to gain back clients that were frustrated with them. Now this.

From what I've been reading and hearing they aren't doing themselves any favours. People on hold for hours trying to find out anything they can with regards to making different arrangements if flights are gonna be cancelled, but never get through. Others getting dropped off at airport only to find out their flight has been cancelled. Connecting flights being cancelled leaving people stuck.

I think a lot of people can understand this is an unforeseen issue that maybe couldn't be fully avoided. However, their lack of communication is what is truly making things worse for them.

Since they were sold to the private equity company Westjet has taken one giant dump. Their customer service was fantastic. Now it’s non-existent. Flight reliability is near zero.

I now look around at other airline options but Air Canada and WJ have divided routes up to where it’s obvious collusion and thus they can artificially keep prices high.

Porter I’ve heard is excellent but limited. I would rather drive than fly on Flair. So WJ has Canadian consumers between a rock and a hard place.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Since they were sold to the private equity company Westjet has taken one giant dump. Their customer service was fantastic. Now it’s non-existent. Flight reliability is near zero.

I now look around at other airline options but Air Canada and WJ have divided routes up to where it’s obvious collusion and thus they can artificially keep prices high.

Porter I’ve heard is excellent but limited. I would rather drive than fly on Flair. So WJ has Canadian consumers between a rock and a hard place.
Well that is really part of the problem in Canada

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yet the way the insurance industry operates everybody tends to get hit. I live in an area of relative high ground, with an all stucco exterior, Thick Stucco that would last 100years as a building envelope and I'd pay much the same as somebody with Vinyl siding living on a commonly flooded area that is in major storm path.

So that I'd welcome not all this being covered. It isn't just calamity or disaster when Vinyl damaging and vehicle damaging events are common in Calgary.

Last pet peeve but I would think a vehicle in garage all the time and never parked outside should get a better insurance rate than somebody without a garage. I mean people pay dearly to build garages to protect their vehicular investment. Why isn't that any consideration?
Yes, some insurers do give you a better rate if you park your vehicle in a garage.

Yes, people who live in high hail risk areas are paying more for their insurance.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Its possible this is the case. But its also that the industry loves to build "award winning houses" with the most expensive interior finishes possible, making houses extremely expensive with granite counters, hardwood floors, best of everything in lighting and appliances, while building these in the worst house envelopes possible. Its nuts, but its what has been going on for decades.

The thought of curb appeal is largely gone.

A little less spending on the interior elements and spending an extra 40K for stucco (now around that for these giant houses.) This is the thing too is that Vinyl cladding has paved the way for a lot of these giant 2500 ft homes.

In Laurel, the ugliest area of the city possible tons of these monstrosities exist. All looking the same. Different shades of vinyl siding being the only way to tell houses apart in the daytime... Ironically these all build up in the very path that the 87 Black Friday tornado took. These are houses of cards. Next, on smaller lots and so close together that vinyl catches fire on one house, the other goes up in flames. How code even allows these houses to be built so close together and so close to property line is reprehensible. No standards here, and disasters waiting to happen.

Unfortunately, sizzle sells. The builders that try to sell on construction quality alone don't last long (or they realize that sizzle sells and drop construction quality for "expensive" finishing).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Unfortunately, sizzle sells. The builders that try to sell on construction quality alone don't last long (or they realize that sizzle sells and drop construction quality for "expensive" finishing).
To me solid sensible exteriors like Stucco, Brick etc are part of the sizzle. But functional too and I like that about it. Our house will last our lifetime and be gifted down the line. Our neighbors houses with vinyl and 40yrs old are destined for tear down.

This is odd though, is the real estate market doesn't seem to price in the real value of better built homes. They all sell similar based on Sq Footage and as you say sizzle. Makes no sense that a poorly built home is comparable in price to a well built home but here we are..

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Never been a big stucco fan. After a few years, they seem to get "stains" on them at different points and not a good look.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Plus you can get hardened stucco for hail damage prevention and prevents woodpeckers from making your walls look like they were shot at close range with a machinegun.
Never, ever, seen this. We have pileated Woodpeckers in Neighborhood and guess what, they knock at trees where they are searching for insect food.

To clarify traditional, real stucco does not get Woodpecker damage or attract woodpeckers. Its synthetic "Stucco"that has the problem. To be exact the Synthetic "stucco" has foam backing. The Peckers are attracted as they can hear a hollow substrate, and peck through to establish openings and potential nests. The sound is also awesome to potential mates who hear a peckerwood around...;)

Further citation:

"It has a hard coat shell over top of styrofoam"

It isn't Stucco, Its a cheaper finish with a hardcoat and FOAM underlay. Not stucco at all. If sold using that term its false advertising.

just saying

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Never, ever, seen this. We have pileated Woodpeckers in Neighborhood and guess what, they knock at trees where they are searching for insect food.

To clarify traditional, real stucco does not get Woodpecker damage or attract woodpeckers. Its synthetic "Stucco"that has the problem. To be exact the Synthetic "stucco" has foam backing. The Peckers are attracted as they can hear a hollow substrate, and peck through to establish openings and potential nests. The sound is also awesome to potential mates who hear a peckerwood around...;)

Further citation:

"It has a hard coat shell over top of styrofoam"

It isn't Stucco, Its a cheaper finish with a hardcoat and FOAM underlay. Not stucco at all. If sold using that term its false advertising.

just saying

I don’t sell the stuff and I’m probably using the wrong term but our finish is pecker proofed.

Ad

Ad

Ad