OT: 2024 Weather Thread

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Agree to the bolded, but it works both ways. Some shrill voices need to realize that climate change isn't the main and only thing causing this as well.

Hence why I despise the polarization of our politics. It is climate change, but its also decades of forest mismanagement. It's too much government bureaucracy, but its also Park Canada getting inadequate funding for what they're expected to do.

Shades of grey, not black or white.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Hence why I despise the polarization of our politics. It is climate change, but its also decades of forest mismanagement. It's too much government bureaucracy, but its also Park Canada getting inadequate funding for what they're expected to do.

Shades of grey, not black or white.

Politics suck but it's the only way we have a chance of changing it. I don't claim to know the exact cause and agree that it's a bunch of shades of grey.

So next time it comes time to vote in any level of government. Express concern about the Smokey summers so it becomes an election issue. When votes depend on it then perhaps there's a chance to get something done. Unfortunately it also likely means a tax increase.

Want to stay at a hotel in B.C or Alberta.. Pay the fire prevention tax :P

Reactions: Stoneman89

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Politics suck but it's the only way we have a chance of changing it. I don't claim to know the exact cause and agree that it's a bunch of shades of grey.

So next time it comes time to vote in any level of government. Express concern about the Smokey summers so it becomes an election issue. When votes depend on it then perhaps there's a chance to get something done. Unfortunately it also likely means a tax increase.

Want to stay at a hotel in B.C or Alberta.. Pay the fire prevention tax :P

Perhaps the government can stop raising taxes and spending the hundreds of billions they already get more appropriately and on more pressing priorities rather than on buying votes.

Having a robust economy will generate far more tax than keep raising taxes on a stagnant one as well.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Perhaps the government can stop raising taxes and spending the hundreds of billions they already get more appropriately and on more pressing priorities rather than on buying votes.

Having a robust economy will generate far more tax than keep raising taxes on a stagnant one as well.
That has ZERO to do with the topic at hand. But you do you.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Unfortunately I think the bolded is a pipe dream. The purpose of any politician is to get re-elected. Should that be the case? Probably not. Do I have an idea on how to change it. No I do not. I mean how many first-time politicians have you seen enter a race on "actually helping people, regardless of party politics" only then to immediately get sucked into the same party-centered politics they promised to ignore.

Realistically, we need a PM focused on rebuilding the economy and increasing productivity and national output. However, nobody seems to be interested in that. JT is trying to save his ass by any means possible and PP is consumed with the ongoing right/left culture war.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
That has ZERO to do with the topic at hand. But you do you.
It is completely on topic since someone a few posts above just mentioned a ‘fire prevention tax’ for hotel stays in BC and Alberta. IMO that is not a bad idea and we’ve seen other countries impose a similar tax (designed to protect the ocean or the jungle or the endangered species) on visitors who travel there specifically because of the natural beauty. Other posters are free to disagree with that idea without you jumping in to act like the monitor of ‘the topic at hand’.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
It is completely on topic since someone a few posts above just mentioned a ‘fire prevention tax’ for hotel stays in BC and Alberta. IMO that is not a bad idea and we’ve seen other countries impose a similar tax (designed to protect the ocean or the jungle or the endangered species) on visitors who travel there specifically because of the natural beauty. Other posters are free to disagree with that idea without you jumping in to act like the monitor of ‘the topic at hand’.
Hmm. The problem is that governments in the past absolutely slashed budgets for our National Parks. So we dont want that either.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Not going to be baited into a political conversation with you. I’ll just repeat that a visitors tax to protect the environment seems like a good idea to me, and a completely apolitical one as well. But please, by all means do carry on telling other posters what the ‘topic at hand’ is whilst flouting one of the basic guidelines of the site.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
On another note - she gon' be warm again for the next 10 days.
ace-ventura.gif

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Not going to be baited into a political conversation with you. I’ll just repeat that a visitors tax to protect the environment seems like a good idea to me, and a completely apolitical one as well. But please, by all means do carry on telling other posters what the ‘topic at hand’ is whilst flouting one of the basic guidelines of the site.
Ohh, I just didn't think that complaining about the government raising taxes and buying votes in a weather thread was onboard.
At least now I know

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I made one comment and you are being confrontational about it. Just relax dude.
No, you either didn't read my comment, or didn't understand it, based on your comments. No confrontation over here. And calling people "dicks" seems a little confrontational, so I'd say you're the one that might want to relax.;)

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I heard yesterday morning that as of Wednesday around 6pm that over 500k of bottles were collected. Making the donation over 1.5mil.

That number was still to rise as there were piles of bottles that still hadn't been counted.

That's quite the large amount given the short turn around of notice and the fact that it was on a Wednesday when a lot of people didn't have time to take their bottles in.

I don't know what our numbers were, but our company was matching whatever we donated for bottles, as well my neighbor told me his company was doubling what the employees collected. So really that 1.5mil could be significantly higher if lots of companies were doing something similar.

Something so simple and generated a massive amount of cash.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I heard yesterday morning that as of Wednesday around 6pm that over 500k of bottles were collected. Making the donation over 1.5mil.

That number was still to rise as there were piles of bottles that still hadn't been counted.

That's quite the large amount given the short turn around of notice and the fact that it was on a Wednesday when a lot of people didn't have time to take their bottles in.

I don't know what our numbers were, but our company was matching whatever we donated for bottles, as well my neighbor told me his company was doubling what the employees collected. So really that 1.5mil could be significantly higher if lots of companies were doing something similar.

Something so simple and generated a massive amount of cash.
I've been drinking as much and as quickly as I can, in order to help out.:D

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Whistlers had just been entirely refurbished. They closed it for one or two seasons to entirely retrofit the campground, all new facilities, never saw the newer version. I knew Wabasso was heavily hit but this is the first word on Whistlers that due to path of the fire had to have been hit. No word yet on Wapiti but probably got hit too.

I'd mentioned in an earlier post though how much deadwood there was at Whistlers Campground. So many trees there that were falling dangers as well. The Campground hadn't been properly managed for decades.

Wonder too how many of those baked trees they just leave standing. You would not want to tent camp there anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00