Dec 9, 2004
Screenshot_20240717_131558_Gallery.jpg

My weather app says plus 39 next Tuesday!?!! šŸ„µšŸ„µ

• Wow
Reactions: oilers'72

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Buisnesses and
People with electric vehicles - please refrain from plugging them in and recharging them for the next week, and thankyou.
On the bright side alot of those with EV's have solar panels Plus its also going to be real sunny for the solar farms, all of which which helps out the grid.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaitingForUser

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The forecast for the next week

View attachment 895609
Global channel weather a couple days ago: "Such great hot weather, can't wait for it and to have all this sunshine." ffs. I swear yesterday all day the cloud configurations that were at edge of sun most of the day but never clouding it were just magnifying the heat and humidity. Its more the humidity being so high that gets me. 75% relative humidity in Edmonton, inland? really?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Global channel weather a couple days ago: "Such great hot weather, can't wait for it and to have all this sunshine." ffs. I swear yesterday all day the cloud configurations that were at edge of sun most of the day but never clouding it were just magnifying the heat and humidity. Its more the humidity being so high that gets me. 75% relative humidity in Edmonton, inland? really?
The last few mornings here itā€™s absolute fog. 100% humidity and then it just gets hot and sticky. We are located on the edge of the provincial forest boundary (farmland to forest transition) and we have been under a total open fire ban for the past week, owing to the extreme temps I assume, but not because itā€™s dry.

No AC at my daughters and itā€™s a 2 story. Iā€™m gonna be strolling around like Will Ferrell in Old School.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The last few mornings here itā€™s absolute fog. 100% humidity and then it just gets hot and sticky. We are located on the edge of the provincial forest boundary (farmland to forest transition) and we have been under a total open fire ban for the past week, owing to the extreme temps I assume, but not because itā€™s dry.

No AC at my daughters and itā€™s a 2 story. Iā€™m gonna be strolling around like Will Ferrell in Old School.
Fort Sask is kind of bad for heat too. Possibly heat island effect due to proximity of plants and such and plus the weather inversion and pollution in the area during these heat waves. River Valley there too is not ideal. Due to river, how its situated at that point there isn't a shade side of river valley like there is in some parts in Edmonton. Harder to find shade there particularly in newer parts of the fort where the trees are few and are not big enough to provide shade in most areas.

Harbour pool around but I couldn't imagine what a zoo that is and I kind of detest indoor pools.

I wouldn't want to be in Fort Sask either in this heat wave. Probably not a helpful reply, but honest. heh

The two storey has a basement? Thats where I spend my time here when the heat is driving me nuts. I'm glad at these times we have a full deep basement. Most houses now have a higher basement with the "legal" size windows. Such basements are little respite from the heat.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
What kind of f***ing idiot decides to have a fire at noon in July when its 34C and cause smoke and extra heat.? Welcome to some of my neighbors here. People that are drunk or high at noon already (or still) and figure an unattended fire outside is just a great way to start their day of partying. Gonna be a fun weekend here. (sarcasm)

Almost a probability of ambulances or firetrucks arriving at some point. Like last night when they were more than hourly with sirens on whole time. One of our neighbors accidentally set fire to their house a few years ago. To think I moved out of apartments to avoid these accidental arson idiots. Like people that have a barbecue INSIDE their living room because it was raining on the deck so they just moved it inside...

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
To think I moved out of apartments to avoid these accidental arson idiots. Like people that have a barbecue INSIDE their living room because it was raining on the deck so they just moved it inside...
Your neighbours had a fire table before it was de rigeur to own one ā˜ļø

PS - and no you were zero help on the staying in Ft Sask this weekend front. Interestingly enough, the girls have a rental suite in the basement that is being turned over to new tenants at end of the month so the fix it guy has a list of stuff to do down there to make it ready. It might take me ALL weekend to complete the list. I promise to come upstairs for a beer once in a while though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Your neighbours had a fire table before it was de rigeur to own one ā˜ļø

PS - and no you were zero help on the staying in Ft Sask this weekend front. Interestingly enough, the girls have a rental suite in the basement that is being turned over to new tenants at end of the month so the fix it guy has a list of stuff to do down there to make it ready. It might take me ALL weekend to complete the list. I promise to come upstairs for a beer once in a while though.
I still have bad memories of summers working in Ft Sask in sealed air building with no air conditioning. lol, what kind of hell design is that? Somewhere along the build they cheaped out on air conditioning while having windows that don't open in the final build.

Oh well. I'll be as hot as you and I have more body insulation probably. heh. I've lost 5lbs so every bit helps in this weather where you sweat just sitting down.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Three story walkup and I'm on the top floor with no AC. If worst comes to worse, throw ice in the bathtub and climb in. Better than last week where I was waiting for the repairman to fix the fridge on the hottest day.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
Three story walkup and I'm on the top floor with no AC. If worst comes to worse, throw ice in the bathtub and climb in. Better than last week where I was waiting for the repairman to fix the fridge on the hottest day.
If worse comes to worse, I throw ice in my rum and coke.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Getting central air installed on Saturday. Had it in the old house, thought weā€™d see how it went in the new (old house but new to us) house for a summer

We lasted half of itā€¦.lol

37 on Tuesday is yikes hot

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
View attachment 895527

My weather app says plus 39 next Tuesday!?!! šŸ„µšŸ„µ

As fun as that is to look at, doubtful the high gets there. There's a lot of variance when it comes to temperature prediction which makes it a bit of a crapshoot. Cloud cover, smoke, CAPE and instability, wind direction, etc. can all affect the final temperature number.

So will it be 39? Probably not, the model is likely saying something like 30 or 40% chance of a temperature above historical highs. So considering that it's still going to be hot so a more realistic number is 35 or so, just like last week.

If worse comes to worse, I throw ice in my rum and coke.

just make sure you don't use the ice from the bath in your rum and coke.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
The smoke might be a blessing in disguise. Blocks the sun, already the temps are about 5 degrees cooler where i am.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Getting central air installed on Saturday. Had it in the old house, thought weā€™d see how it went in the new (old house but new to us) house for a summer

We lasted half of itā€¦.lol

37 on Tuesday is yikes hot
34-35 Celsius are what my two apps are predicting for Tuesday. That's 93.2 to 95 Fahrenheit for historical context. So it may not be that bad. It is amazing that in 1937 it hit 37C/98.6F and we could match that.

Putting aside other reasons for our warming planet, it makes me wonder how much this is affected by the burning down of a significant chunk of our forests these past few years. Forests are cooling after all.

So I did a little checking...around 1937...found some interesting stuff. This was an AI generated answer...

It used these three:

"Based on the available information, it appears that there were significant wildfires in Western Canada during the 1930s. However, the specific data and records from that era are limited compared to more recent years.

Notable Events

• The 1936 wildfire season in British Columbia was particularly severe, with multiple large fires burning across the province. While exact statistics are scarce, itā€™s reported that thousands of hectares were affected, and communities were evacuated.

• The 1930s were characterized by a prolonged drought in Western Canada, which contributed to an increased risk of wildfires.
    • Land use practices during this era were largely focused on agriculture, forestry, and mining, leading to widespread human-caused ignitions and fuel buildup."
"...In summary, while the exact extent of wildfires in Western Canada during the 1930s is unclear, itā€™s likely that there were numerous significant wildfires driven by a combination of climate and human factors."

Not sure what is more fascinating. The wildfires coinciding with the record temps in 1937 and now, or the AI generated response?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
This place is hot.

All hell for a basement.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Sad that my wife and I were just saying ā€œwell at least we made it to mid July before the smoke ruined everythingā€. Like thatā€™s some sort of good news story. Weekend plans messed up now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00