OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
A lot of folks poo pooh'd the MAriota signing, saying he was over rated and not worth the contract. Well apparently he can play a little (albeit vs Carolina), and also his former team mates seem to love the guy. Maybe he's fitting in here well too?

That’s cool. He’s the backup QB for a reason. Let’s hope this isn’t a regular thing for Daniels bc it’s going to make you want Drake Maye real quick.

• Haha
Reactions: ynotcaps

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I mean, if we were to ever want for another QB from this draft, I think it's pretty well established that it would be JJ McCarthy...

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
There's almost nothing that would make me prefer Drake Maye over JD.

Is one of those things potentially him being consistently injured? Because that's what Ero said. Maye has looked good in the couple games he's played, so maybe let's not pretend that Maye with KK and DQ and our new regime would be tragic.

I had a conversation at work a couple days ago about JD vs Caleb. Bears fan, we've been playfully jawing all season, and our Monday conversation after the injury came to him asking, "If the Bears offered you Caleb plus this year's 1st for Jayden, would you take it?" I told him that I would tell the Bears GM to jump off a bridge, and he told me I'm nuts.

While Caleb is a special talent he strikes me otherwise as a typical guy. Jayden's character and work ethic are incredible. He's a rare talent AND a rare human.

But if it turned out he's going to be consistently injured and I could get in The Wayback Machine and take Maye? Sure I would. I would like to win Super Bowls, please. Can't do that with a busted QB, no matter how much I like him.

(P.S. Please get Jayden a Slip 'n Slide and hire Rickey Henderson as a coach, STAT, because time travel never seems to go well and I really don't want to have to help my dad to seduce my mom or be killed by robots.)

(P.P.S. If I absolutely had to choose between the two, I would rather be killed by robots.)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Thing is, JD could not have slid on that play. He was trying to go down but got piled onto in a strange way.

He does need to learn how to go to the ground safely, though. Just being tackled normally. Maybe it hasn't happened enough because nobody's been able to catch him.

Reactions: Jags

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Thing is, JD could not have slid on that play. He was trying to go down but got piled onto in a strange way.

Not sure we're talking about the same play. He saw the guy coming from his left. The time it took for him to decide "I'm going to try to stiff-arm and keep going" is more than the time it takes to just think "Uh oh" and turtle. No reason he can't slide or turtle there.

He also made one (baffling) move in the open field, opting away from the sideline instead of toward it, which brings us to...

He does need to learn how to go to the ground safely, though.

He runs to daylight when he should run for the sideline. We've got this new generation of QBs like Kyler and Lamar that can do that sometimes, and they shouldn't. And you're absolutely right that it's because he's been able to outrun everyone up till now, but it's not like "NFL DBs are crazy fast" is a secret.

Running to the sideline is just as important as learning how to get to the ground safely. As a QB, when it's time to run, you take what they give you. You have to put yourself in the position to bail out the second that gap closes. No team wants their franchise QB risking their body unnecessarily. Those few points aren't worth your season, especially versus a team you know you're going to trounce.

He and RG3 are very different, but Jayden's got 100% of Griffin's running hubris. We want the compete level, but he needs a rap on the knuckles every time that hubris comes out until it stops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad