OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Found the problem. This has now become "well-selected" third rounders instead of playing averages and paying for an in-depth look at the 2WR in your system before signing.

I said well-selected to emphasize that it's not Ron making these choices anymore. AP's first draft was pretty flawless. Not always going to hit dingers, but yeah, I'd rather get another Coleman/McCaffrey on top of a FA WR2, whomever that may be.

Paying two thirds to get a peek isn't even close to worth it for me. We know who Higgins is for the most part.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
At least one person said they were initially in favor of getting him some weapons, but now that he’s playing so well, nah, we don’t need to add in this instance.
If this refers to me, I did not say that. I said they MAY not need to add another WR in the context of adding a WR1/2 "safety blanket". Later I said a good value add would be fine for depth. But the idea that WRs were needed to make JD better seemed to have been put to bed.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
1728518677646.jpeg

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Receiver is literally not a need at the moment. Brown is doing well as a #2, Noah Brown is fine and Zaccharius is even filling in well.

For a unit which looked on paper to be underwhelming entering the season they have done very well.

Offense is NOT the problem and there is no need to trade for any help. The dire need is on D. This was re-emphasized in the Keim podcast where he just couldn't see the Commanders trading for Adams or any WR help. Just not needed. The offense has put up the most points in the NFL so far. Why would you want another WR?

If they weren't trading for Aiyuk when they wasily could have in the offseason they aren't trading for Adams or anyone else. This FO has shown no interest in giving up picks to get players

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Receiver is literally not a need at the moment. Brown is doing well as a #2, Noah Brown is fine and Zaccharius is even filling in well.

For a unit which looked on paper to be underwhelming entering the season they have done very well.

Offense is NOT the problem and there is no need to trade for any help. The dire need is on D. This was re-emphasized in the Keim podcast where he just couldn't see the Commanders trading for Adams or any WR help. Just not needed. The offense has put up the most points in the NFL so far. Why would you want another WR?
JDs ability to stretch the play out means the opposing DBs have to cover receivers longer and as we all know generally a receiver will get open. I would think CB would be the top need. If Washington beats the Ravens man the hype is going to get ridiculous.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'm not sure anyone said that. I think we're all for upgrading the 2WR spot at least. I think the main issue was do we want to give up real assets to do it immediately/midseason via trade, or do we wait out the year, fully diagnose our needs versus development, and add what we need like we did last offseason.

I promise you I don't. I think he's great, and I'm not opposed to spending to get him in free agency (if he makes it there) if the price is right. But third round picks are potentially very valuable, and if we draft well those two guys are cost-controlled for years. I'm not so set on our new 2WR being Higgins that I'm willing to make that kind of trade. I'd rather use those picks more wisely AND get the best 2WR we can, whether it's Higgins or not.

I don't think we'd make the trade without a strong feeling that he'd want to sign, and I agree that if things stay as promising as they are right now -- not that we'll continue at this winning pace, but what's going on IS really promising -- being here for a little while will also make it more likely that he'd want to stay.

BUT, if we trade a couple thirds for him, then we're kind of locked in. If we give up that much to rent him for a few weeks, we're idiots. So in addition to giving up the assets it might hurt our negotiating position a bit for his side to know we're on the hook almost no matter what.
Always appreciate the dialogue.

These are 3rd picks we are talking here. Preferably in the latter 3rd of the draft. I approve at the Coleman love — and McCaffrey love — and of course AP.

But come on man. Higgins is exactly what you PRAY a 3rd rounder turns in to. Hell, if a plus 20 OA turns into Higgins, ALL are happy. IF McCaffrey turns into half of Higgins, we’d be happy.

Higgins is currently 25. Will be 26 in early 2025. However he’d still be only 2yrs older than McCaffrey, and 1yr older than Dyami.

I think you are still underrating Higgins. You say “nope”, but your comments say “yup”.

You think AP can get “2 Higgins’s” with those 3rds? Really? Come on man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad