OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
The Commanders should be desperate for seasons approaching that.

Them acting desperate is the last thing they should want. We're in a fantastic position right now. Lightyears from desperate.

Like... you are focusing way hard on the wrong details of this

I think you'll be shocked to read that I think it's the other way around. ;)

Moss helped them get exactly one game further than they did the year before, during the year that he signed with them for peanuts. Not his fault, but they did worse his other 2 years there than they did in 2006.

We absolutely agree that if there's a Randy Moss out there that wants to sign with us for $2.5m like he did with the Pats, that's the king of no-brainers. But that's not what we're talking about. People here said, "Let's give up two 3rds to rent and then sign Tee Higgins."

wasn't TJ Oshie a struggling borderline "star" that found a new role and flourished in another organization?

Yes, acquired in a smart move. We gave up a guy that was kinda blah and got back a guy with promise. We did not give up 2 valuable draft picks to rent a guy we could get for free a couple months later.

I thought the discussion here was about adding another quality weapon like a Higgins or other, just, like... better guy?

It is. I'm all for upgrading the Zacchaeus spot. I would just like to do it without surrendering important assets. We're doing fine right now with what we have. This, to me, does not feel like a time to "go all in." Your mileage may vary.

Look, I hate the Patriots and doing this but Wes Welker is easily better than anyone on roster not named Terry McLaurin even as a Dolphin before going to New England.

Well yeah, but if he'd stayed in Miami or went just about anywhere else, he'd have been Wayne Chrebet.

Nothing to sneeze at by any means. But if your point is let's get the equivalent of a $3.6m Welker instead of a $9m Moss, then we're 100% on the same page, cuz that's exactly what I've been talking about this whole time. Let's keep our draft picks and make smarter, cheaper decisions, then spend the big chunk of money we saved on something else we need more.

I don't know how this conversation became "flashy acquisition" vs. "stay the course" but it should be abundantly clear that this team would be better with two bonafide threats to win routes that don't always have to be schemed on most downs.

Every team would be better with two great things instead of one. No one is offering us a Randy Moss for 2.5m, so there's really no comparison there. I'm saying that if there's any comparison to the Pats' heyday that I identify with, it's that we should build our team the way they built theirs. They did the opposite of trading away valuable picks to acquire talent at a time when acquiring talent other ways was insanely easy and not expensive for them.

I think free agents are going to want to play for a well-coached DC team that builds well around Daniels and balances it with a capable defense. We don't need to make trades like the one suggested here yesterday.

New England's depth WRs in 2006 are definitely worse than the 2023 Commanders, both because they sucked and because they weren't buffered by another Dotson/Samuel level talent, but here's the kicker: as a result they had to chew clock and run to win, had two RBs with 750+ yards, and the number 2 defense in points allowed. Despite his arm talent Brady was relegated to a top-tier game manager, an ineffective use of his overall talent.

That team got to the conference title game and lost by 4. Moss' best Pats team got one game further and lost. Fun year, brutal loss. Yay? Daniels isn't relegated to being any kind of game manager and his talent is being leveraged plenty with exactly the receivers he has right now. Why the rush to give up assets to add another immediately?

I personally prefer to draft more good players with our draft picks and then ALSO sign the best 2WR we can get our hands on. Giving up two valuable picks to get this one guy in particular seems really shortsighted to me.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Outside of Terry... why not? I don't think they need a "Moss" for the sake of this discussion (although obviously if someone that good was really on the market I think this whole board would be a little itchy) but I thought the discussion here was about adding another quality weapon like a Higgins or other, just, like... better guy?

Look, I hate the Patriots and doing this but Wes Welker is easily better than anyone on roster not named Terry McLaurin even as a Dolphin before going to New England. Then a great QB and gameplan saw him crack 1,000 yards and become a staple.... I don't know how this conversation became "flashy acquisition" vs. "stay the course" but it should be abundantly clear that this team would be better with two bonafide threats to win routes that don't always have to be schemed on most downs.

New England's depth WRs in 2006 are definitely worse than the 2023 Commanders, both because they sucked and because they weren't buffered by another Dotson/Samuel level talent, but here's the kicker: as a result they had to chew clock and run to win, had two RBs with 750+ yards, and the number 2 defense in points allowed. Despite his arm talent Brady was relegated to a top-tier game manager, an ineffective use of his overall talent. In 2007, on top of adding the 4 wins, Brady and the Patriots added about 1,300 passing yards, only lost about 100 rushing on the year, and went from 24 to 36 points per game.... Washington doesn't have a lot of those luxuries yet but one thing they can do is take a moderate risk to expand the offense (which has suited them well) and see how it works.

The overall point here is that they knew they could win other ways, but they had a supercharged QB and went out and got him weapons to allow him to play his best game. They learned lessons and refined over time, sure, but the one thing that could almost always be said about the Patriots model is that they were open to adapting to their strengths and weaknesses from season to season and leaning into their strongest identity to win games, and that's what this would be just as they leaned into Brady.

This all started because I made the point/observation/opinion that the emergence of JD as an accurate passer makes the need to cut off our arm to buy a "safety net" big splash type WR unnecessary, so long as you have guys who are good at catching balls dropped in their laps and running accurate routes. That's 99.9% of it.

I can see you dove deep into the Patriots stats but really the Brady thing was just a reference point for that TYPE of effect, and never meant as a direct 100% comparison that requires some huge stat analysis. But this is the internet so this always happens whenever someone mentions a HOF player in any sort of comparative comment...

Point #2 is injuries/depth. Which I've already gone through.

Not mad or being an ass to another member of the 4AM Internet Argument Club, but it's going off the rails a little. At least wrt my points. If people want to have a debate about Moss for several pages that's up to them.

I guess another way of putting it is "I like JD's chances of making WRs better than preseason when the idea was WRs making JD better".

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You guys are lost in the rabbit hole…Jeez this went sideways fast.

Don’t support JD with better weapons is what I’m taking away from one side of this debate.

I’m not on board with that.

And just because we happened to discuss Adams, BA, Higgins, etc….doesn't mean we’re desperate or clamoring for anything other than smart moves by AP. This is a sports TALK forum….so we talk sports. Enjoy it.

Reactions: RedRocking

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Them acting desperate is the last thing they should want. We're in a fantastic position right now. Lightyears from desperate.

I think you'll be shocked to read that I think it's the other way around. ;)

Moss helped them get exactly one game further than they did the year before, during the year that he signed with them for peanuts. Not his fault, but they did worse his other 2 years there than they did in 2006.

We absolutely agree that if there's a Randy Moss out there that wants to sign with us for $2.5m like he did with the Pats, that's the king of no-brainers. But that's not what we're talking about. People here said, "Let's give up two 3rds to rent and then sign Tee Higgins."

Yes, acquired in a smart move. We gave up a guy that was kinda blah and got back a guy with promise. We did not give up 2 valuable draft picks to rent a guy we could get for free a couple months later.

It is. I'm all for upgrading the Zacchaeus spot. I would just like to do it without surrendering important assets. We're doing fine right now with what we have. This, to me, does not feel like a time to "go all in." Your mileage may vary.

Well yeah, but if he'd stayed in Miami or went just about anywhere else, he'd have been Wayne Chrebet.

Nothing to sneeze at by any means. But if your point is let's get the equivalent of a $3.6m Welker instead of a $9m Moss, then we're 100% on the same page, cuz that's exactly what I've been talking about this whole time. Let's keep our draft picks and make smarter, cheaper decisions, then spend the big chunk of money we saved on something else we need more.

Every team would be better with two great things instead of one. No one is offering us a Randy Moss for 2.5m, so there's really no comparison there. I'm saying that if there's any comparison to the Pats' heyday that I identify with, it's that we should build our team the way they built theirs. They did the opposite of trading away valuable picks to acquire talent at a time when acquiring talent other ways was insanely easy and not expensive for them.

I think free agents are going to want to play for a well-coached DC team that builds well around Daniels and balances it with a capable defense. We don't need to make trades like the one suggested here yesterday.

That team got to the conference title game and lost by 4. Moss' best Pats team got one game further and lost. Fun year, brutal loss. Yay? Daniels isn't relegated to being any kind of game manager and his talent is being leveraged plenty with exactly the receivers he has right now. Why the rush to give up assets to add another immediately?

I personally prefer to draft more good players with our draft picks and then ALSO sign the best 2WR we can get our hands on. Giving up two valuable picks to get this one guy in particular seems really shortsighted to me.
I think you severely underrate Higgins.

That and having a player “in the room” almost always makes it easier to resign said player, vs trying to compete with all FA offers out there. I mean, we simply cannot debate that point, can we?

So…..while I understand and mainly agree with your premise, I also think you are off base on a few items WRT Higgins — specifically — and whether or not to try and maximize THIS year.

That is all.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Heard some random chatter about trading for Jaycee Horn at the deadline. Still on his rookie deal. 1 corner upside. Physical Quinn prototype. This is the kind of move worth making.
Terrific player but has had challenges staying healthy and on the field and is going to want to be paid top dollar after his rookie contract. Is that the kind of player AP would target? Genuine question, not trying to be a contrarian.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
What the hell is going on in here

I dunno but I sent this thread to Adam Peters so he can figure out what to do. He's clearly just winging it thus far :naughty:

For everyone else, seriously though, AP is on record saying he's going to build through the draft, not with big trades or big UFA's. I think his instant success should further validate his plan, instead of inject a course change so early. We haven't even given his entire draft class a chance to develop fully yet. This team is going to get much better without any outside help. Be patient.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jags

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don’t think Higgins will get traded unless Cincy really bottoms out. With Burrow playing so well, I simply cannot see them moving out Higgins.

BUT, he’s the guy I’d move some draft capital for. Much moreso than Adams (and Aiyuk). He’s what we simply don’t have, he’s a great player, from all accounts he’s great in the room, and it sounds like he isn’t looking to break any banks with his next contract…..AND he’s still young.

That’s the exact kinda guy I’d think AP *would* sacrifice draft capital for. Or trade straight up Allen or Payne. Mathis and Newton are looking pretty solid, IMO.

But that’s just me.

Reactions: RedRocking and HTFN

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Been gone for most of the last week or so — can someone give me the TLDR of what we’re rabble-rabbling about? Need to figure out which side of the teeth gnashing I should be on.
There are those that want us to trade for a WR (insert the name of the week here, Aiyuk, Adams, Higgins, Horn, etc) to help JD succeed, um... more?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Been gone for most of the last week or so — can someone give me the TLDR of what we’re rabble-rabbling about? Need to figure out which side of the teeth gnashing I should be on.
Well we all know I'm not the TL;DR guy, but far as I can tell:

-I think the original premise was "do you add anything or just be patient and let the year pan out?"

-Early WR rumors are discussed, some folks have PTSD from making flashy Snyder-esque additions, others see 4-1 and think the timeline might be accelerated.

-Second premise: does Daniels need weapons, or will he be capable of elevating surrounding players like (for example) the prime Brady Patriots and making "pretty good" work very well?

-This is where everything gets unfocused. Merits of Brady and his receiving cast become a thing, we start unpacking how many of them are Hall of Fame for some reason, it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. Personally if this part were distilled down to "did Brady often have 2/3 bonafide targets" instead of HoF guys I think we're all on the same page but it goes screwy.

-We all hyperfocus on Randy Moss as the biggest name on the list (but also because he sort of represents both sides of the argument depending on how you look at it), meanwhile I write Wes Welker a love letter.

-Tangentially debate whether the Patriots going 16-0 is a success.

-Despite this everyone seems to actually agree that more weapons are better, that it's all about opportunity cost (which I think everyone was always on board with) and it becomes clear to me that a lot of this is just the manifestation of the various fears of being a Washington Football fan for too long

Last edited:

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Don’t support JD with better weapons is what I’m taking away from one side of this debate.

I'm not sure anyone said that. I think we're all for upgrading the 2WR spot at least. I think the main issue was do we want to give up real assets to do it immediately/midseason via trade, or do we wait out the year, fully diagnose our needs versus development, and add what we need like we did last offseason.

I think you severely underrate Higgins.

I promise you I don't. I think he's great, and I'm not opposed to spending to get him in free agency (if he makes it there) if the price is right. But third round picks are potentially very valuable, and if we draft well those two guys are cost-controlled for years. I'm not so set on our new 2WR being Higgins that I'm willing to make that kind of trade. I'd rather use those picks more wisely AND get the best 2WR we can, whether it's Higgins or not.

That and having a player “in the room” almost always makes it easier to resign said player

I don't think we'd make the trade without a strong feeling that he'd want to sign, and I agree that if things stay as promising as they are right now -- not that we'll continue at this winning pace, but what's going on IS really promising -- being here for a little while will also make it more likely that he'd want to stay.

BUT, if we trade a couple thirds for him, then we're kind of locked in. If we give up that much to rent him for a few weeks, we're idiots. So in addition to giving up the assets it might hurt our negotiating position a bit for his side to know we're on the hook almost no matter what.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
@Jags

Here's a question for you, one I have no input on and just want a thought process for: Is there a potential for better overall value by making that trade anyway?

Best way I can think to say it in general terms is that some folks were suggesting taking a WR with one of the top picks in this coming draft... so at what point does acquiring someone of significant talent/value for those cost-controlled 3rds allow you to draft other areas of need (say, defensive back) without taking multiple fliers on guys who might eventually be as good as the trade target?

Edit: in this particular case I suppose it’s trickier because of the rental aspect, but I’d like your thoughts on both scenarios (rental and under contract) just to see how it all works

Last edited:
Reactions: Jags

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure anyone said that. I think we're all for upgrading the 2WR spot at least. I think the main issue was do we want to give up real assets to do it immediately/midseason via trade, or do we wait out the year, fully diagnose our needs versus development, and add what we need like we did last offseason.

At least one person said they were initially in favor of getting him some weapons, but now that he’s playing so well, nah, we don’t need to add in this instance.

Others are just seemingly resistant to adding any established top end receiver due to cost. So where’s all the support for getting him some more legit weapons lol?

As you saw with Dotson, AP doesn’t need a ton of time to “fully diagnose”….

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Personally? I’m tanking if I’m them. The Rodgers gamble failed. Retaining the current losers has the benefits of losing while maintaining integrity. -which is what Harris wisely did with Rivera despite Rivera obviously sucking.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Here's a question for you, one I have no input on and just want a thought process for: Is there a potential for better overall value by making that trade anyway?

If we're presupposing that we go WR early, I can definitely see your point, but I don't think AP's draft approach is that narrow. He didn't lock in on position in the draft this year -- taking Johnny showed (me at least) that not trading up (or not being able to) didn't in any way dissuade him from selecting an undeniable value that fell to him at a position that wasn't an immediate need. I think that proves that his BPA threshold is right were we want it to be.

Since it looks like we won't be drafting high and BPA in most drafts becomes pretty subjective after about 10 picks, I'd be surprised if we selected a receiver in the first. I'm not opposed to it in the second so long as the player is on on par with the pick and we're addressing our other needs. If we go at DB and/or edge in FA the way we did at LB this year, that should really help.

In other words, I think your question is too zoomed-in. I still look at it very simply: I would rather have two well-selected third rounders AND the best 2WR we can get. Doesn't matter where the 2WR comes from.

Look at all we added last offseason and how shrewd a lot of it is looking to be in retrospect. And that was the first year of the franchise MAYBE being free from Snyder's stench, the high regard players seem to have for Quinn, and the fingers-crossed promise of Daniels.

Now that it looks like all of that might really prove out league-wide, I think it'll be even easier to be a destination team for some of the top free agents out there. And it doesn't hurt that our GM and coaches seem to have a real nose for low-cost acquisitions that really pay off.

I like Higgins a lot, but there's talented FAs every year. So long as we get one that fits what we're doing, I'm good. Let's not pretend that McCaffrey, both Browns, and Zaccheaus haven't all been solid. They may lack the route savvy to spring themselves open on the regular, but JD has been finding them nonetheless. So they're doing enough to get open, they're definitely making the grabs, and JD has the vision and arm talent to get it there.

We need another TE to contribute consistently, and another inarguable talent at wideout sure wouldn't hurt. But otherwise I think we might be good.

At least one person said they were initially in favor of getting him some weapons, but now that he’s playing so well, nah, we don’t need to add in this instance.

We don't *need* to. We're only 5 games in, but our passing game has been very good. Where's this burning need?

I'm not opposed to getting him some more help. Who wouldn't like more weapons? I don't want to give up good picks in the haste to add something now that there's no burning need for.

Others are just seemingly resistant to adding any established top end receiver due to cost. So where’s all the support for getting him some more legit weapons lol?

That's hyperbole. Just because some people are opposed specifically to Adams and Higgins due to the (purely speculative) cost doesn't mean they don't support adding legit weapons. There's a big grey area between Higgins and Zaccheuas, in my opinion, and there'll likely be a few options in that range in free agency. Shouldn't be a problem to get one without trading anything.

And I personally am all for Higgins in the offseason IF he's available, is really okay with the 3yr/70m mentioned, AND we have that to spend AFTER addressing our other, more pressing needs. If not, I think someone else that fits our price range will make their way to DC and we'll be good with it.

As you saw with Dotson, AP doesn’t need a ton of time to “fully diagnose”….

Huh? He had plenty of time to fully evaluate Dotson. 7 months is 2 months longer than a full season, so I'm not sure what you mean. He had every ounce of film available to him that's ever included Dotson playing football at any level prior to the start of camp to establish his expectation level for him. Then he had most of camp to see if Dotson met that expectation.

"Fully diagnose our needs versus development" means what it says. No lines to read between. We have receiving talent that might emerge (or falter) in the 12 actual NFL games right in front of us. McCaffrey might start looking Amendelkery once he gets more time in. Sinnott might work his way into a spot. Zacch/Brown/Brown might prove to be steady presences with more reps. Or they all might shit the bed.

And we've got a rookie QB whose own development may exacerbate all of those possibilities.

So yeah, I'm all for fully diagnosing what our actual needs might turn out to be instead of losing two valuable picks to fix a problem we don't have.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
is Higgins top tier?

AP brought all that 9ers player eval and scouting reports with him. Im sure DQ and JW had a ton of scouting on our players as well coming from the Boys.

3 of them probably had better evals and reports on our players then we did.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If we're presupposing that we go WR early, I can definitely see your point, but I don't think AP's draft approach is that narrow. He didn't lock in on position in the draft this year -- taking Johnny showed (me at least) that not trading up (or not being able to) didn't in any way dissuade him from selecting an undeniable value that fell to him at a position that wasn't an immediate need. I think that proves that his BPA threshold is right were we want it to be.

Since it looks like we won't be drafting high and BPA in most drafts becomes pretty subjective after about 10 picks, I'd be surprised if we selected a receiver in the first. I'm not opposed to it in the second so long as the player is on on par with the pick and we're addressing our other needs. If we go at DB and/or edge in FA the way we did at LB this year, that should really help.

In other words, I think your question is too zoomed-in. I still look at it very simply: I would rather have two well-selected third rounders AND the best 2WR we can get. Doesn't matter where the 2WR comes from.

Look at all we added last offseason and how shrewd a lot of it is looking to be in retrospect. And that was the first year of the franchise MAYBE being free from Snyder's stench, the high regard players seem to have for Quinn, and the fingers-crossed promise of Daniels.

Now that it looks like all of that might really prove out league-wide, I think it'll be even easier to be a destination team for some of the top free agents out there. And it doesn't hurt that our GM and coaches seem to have a real nose for low-cost acquisitions that really pay off.

I like Higgins a lot, but there's talented FAs every year. So long as we get one that fits what we're doing, I'm good. Let's not pretend that McCaffrey, both Browns, and Zaccheaus haven't all been solid. They may lack the route savvy to spring themselves open on the regular, but JD has been finding them nonetheless. So they're doing enough to get open, they're definitely making the grabs, and JD has the vision and arm talent to get it there.

We need another TE to contribute consistently, and another inarguable talent at wideout sure wouldn't hurt. But otherwise I think we might be good.

We don't *need* to. We're only 5 games in, but our passing game has been very good. Where's this burning need?

I'm not opposed to getting him some more help. Who wouldn't like more weapons? I don't want to give up good picks in the haste to add something now that there's no burning need for.

That's hyperbole. Just because some people are opposed specifically to Adams and Higgins due to the (purely speculative) cost doesn't mean they don't support adding legit weapons. There's a big grey area between Higgins and Zaccheuas, in my opinion, and there'll likely be a few options in that range in free agency. Shouldn't be a problem to get one without trading anything.

And I personally am all for Higgins in the offseason IF he's available, is really okay with the 3yr/70m mentioned, AND we have that to spend AFTER addressing our other, more pressing needs. If not, I think someone else that fits our price range will make their way to DC and we'll be good with it.

Huh? He had plenty of time to fully evaluate Dotson. 7 months is 2 months longer than a full season, so I'm not sure what you mean. He had every ounce of film available to him that's ever included Dotson playing football at any level prior to the start of camp to establish his expectation level for him. Then he had most of camp to see if Dotson met that expectation.

"Fully diagnose our needs versus development" means what it says. No lines to read between. We have receiving talent that might emerge (or falter) in the 12 actual NFL games right in front of us. McCaffrey might start looking Amendelkery once he gets more time in. Sinnott might work his way into a spot. Zacch/Brown/Brown might prove to be steady presences with more reps. Or they all might shit the bed.

And we've got a rookie QB whose own development may exacerbate all of those possibilities.

So yeah, I'm all for fully diagnosing what our actual needs might turn out to be instead of losing two valuable picks to fix a problem we don't have.
7 months lol!? Dotson was in camp when exactly? That’s when AP truly evaluated him beyond just watching tape. They don’t need the rest of the season to understand they could use a nice upgrade at WR2. They just don’t, and sorry, not buying your tactics where you’re suggesting if they trade for a name guy, they rushing or somehow panic buying like old Danny boy.

Nothing says shitty GM/manager, leader like waiting for a “burning need”…..smart leaders get ahead of the issues when they can IMO.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
7 months lol!? Dotson was in camp when exactly?

I think you may have bumped your head. OF COURSE their impression of his play from prior to camp matters A LOT. And yeah, 7 entire months evaluating their future plans for every position probably included a TON of focus on wide receiver because it's a very important position. So by the time camp started, they most likely had a mold for WR2 they wanted Dotson to fit, and when he didn't, didn't quite, or didn't outvalue what they could get for him via trade, they moved on.

They had plenty of time to set their expectation, then a month of camp to determine his fate. The idea that it all happened in that month of camp is pretty silly. He was public about his offseason starting at FAU in February, had a new offense to learn that'd be gauged at regular intervals, workout checkins, and on and on. Do you think that our staff wasn't paying attention to any of that? That they just waited till camp and were so shocked that they had to trade him?

So yeah. 7 months. Not saying he was their only focus, but he was probably a primary focus of the receiving staff given they had to fully evaluate everyone (being new in town and all), Dotson's position as the definite WR2 given Samuel's departure, and his dogshit sophomore slump.

They don’t need the rest of the season to understand they could use a nice upgrade at WR2.

Thanks for pointing out something that's true for literally every team in the NFL and every team sport in general. Their passing offense has been very good thus far. "Could use" and "real need" aren't the same thing. Everyone "could use" a "nice upgrade" at every position.

not buying your tactics where you’re suggesting if they trade for a name guy, they rushing or somehow panic buying like old Danny boy.

Tactics? I'm not trying to pull a fast one here. Just sharing my opinion. Is it rushing to give up very significant assets to acquire a guy you might get for nothing in a few months? Yeah, it kinda is, especially when there will be several other options if you wait that might suit your overall needs versus what you have to spend way more.

Stressing the value of patience in this case isn't crazy, is it?

Nothing says shitty GM/manager, leader like waiting for a “burning need”…..smart leaders get ahead of the issues when they can IMO.

We wouldn't be waiting for a burning need. One of the big points here is that we already have a bunch of burning needs. Pretty big ones, in fact, and wide receiver isn't one of them. I would like to prioritize the problems that are actually on fire and might get out of control over a couple of smoldering things that might not be problems at all.

Our passing offense is not currently suffering from poor performance from its receivers. Terry is Terry, and Zacch/Brown/Brown/McCaffrey have all played well and might improve along with their quickly developing QB. The cart is supposed to go behind the horse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad