OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
No, he's got the quickest time to pressure in the league and guys aren't getting open at all. He was pressured on 50% of dropbacks this week. That's insane.
Just watching his game against the Texans, it reminded me of Howell last year. He got absolutely destroyed, and you were genuinely worried for his health. Yea, the o-line stinks, and the play calling isn’t doing him a lot of favors. Not enough balance, longer developing routes, and lots of 3rd and long.

But, Caleb is also holding onto the ball too long. And he’s trying to do Mahomes off-schedule stuff and throwing picks. The whole offense just looks out of sync - I’m sure it will get better. It made me appreciate how JD, so far, has been taking what the D gives him and getting the ball out quickly. And KK’s play calling has been easing him in, and giving him a chance to succeed. Even if the WR screens are annoying.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Where are these stats listed? Curious on rankings…
NextGen stats. I was a little off, he was the 6th quickest time to throw in week 2 and 7th over the first two weeks combined:

Pressures:

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Just watching his game against the Texans, it reminded me of Howell last year. He got absolutely destroyed, and you were genuinely worried for his health. Yea, the o-line stinks, and the play calling isn’t doing him a lot of favors. Not enough balance, longer developing routes, and lots of 3rd and long.

But, Caleb is also holding onto the ball too long. And he’s trying to do Mahomes off-schedule stuff and throwing picks. The whole offense just looks out of sync - I’m sure it will get better. It made me appreciate how JD, so far, has been taking what the D gives him and getting the ball out quickly. And KK’s play calling has been easing him in, and giving him a chance to succeed. Even if the WR screens are annoying.
I dunno man, he's getting the ball off on average in 2.59 seconds. That's faster than 25 other QBs, some of whom are doing really well.
It's not JUST the line, although they're terrible. The coaching is garbage. If the Texans were bringing that many blitzes, there should've been an adjustment to throw in a bunch of slants and WR screens, but there sure as hell didn't seem to be.

Reactions: RedRocking

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Are you going to continue to shit on JD if/when we get him a better o-line and weapons, or does he have to hero ball out with no support to earn your respect? What are you even arguing against? Eesh…
If he keeps playing like this, yeah I am. In no way is it acceptable for a professional QB to have 0 passing TDs, rookie or not, two straight games. Sam Howell was doing better behind a much worse line. Hoping for the best but not excited so far about the selection, wasn't when they made it and nothing has happened to change my opinion on the matter yet. I'll eat the crow when he finds a way to serve it up but right now I'm starving. Coaching staff needs to be better, he needs to be better. This looks like Ron Rivera's team all over again with a fresh face.

• Haha
Reactions: g00n

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If he keeps playing like this, yeah I am. In no way is it acceptable for a professional QB to have 0 passing TDs, rookie or not, two straight games. Sam Howell was doing better behind a much worse line. Hoping for the best but not excited so far about the selection, wasn't when they made it and nothing has happened to change my opinion on the matter yet. I'll eat the crow when he finds a way to serve it up but right now I'm starving. Coaching staff needs to be better, he needs to be better. This looks like Ron Rivera's team all over again with a fresh face.
So you pretty much will not give this guy a fair break until after he proves you wrong.

It’s like people forget we just picked #2….this is an improved but still not good roster….

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Nuts!

A QB playing well is not merely shown in the cumulative stats. JD has no one getting open consistently, period. He's running the offense about as perfectly as it can be run, and that's highly rare for any rookie QB. He's making good reads, throwing quickly and accurately when there is a target available. When there's not, he isn't forcing anything (hallmark of rookie QB play). Given the severe limitations of his supporting cast, he's played nearly perfectly. His lack of TD passes are not in any way solely because of his lack of effort, skill, or limitations. They are because of the offense in general.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
The TD passes will come eventually. Jayden is 20th in QBR (just behind Mahomes) and 8th in traditional QB rating (between Geno and Purdy). He's off to a very good start by any measure.

20th is probably closer to reality, but he's way ahead of Williams, Nix, and Levis (who he most often gets compared to) in terms of both.

Williams 30th in QBR, 30th in traditional QB rating
Levis 27th in QBR, 26th in traditional QB rating
Nix 28th in QBR, 31st in traditional QB rating

This conversation seems to be a back and forth between 'he's doing well for a rookie' and 'he needs to do more'. Both can be true at the same time. Daniels has been extremely efficient, but the team has to find a way to start getting TDs in the red zone and chunk plays.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Nuts!

A QB playing well is not merely shown in the cumulative stats. JD has no one getting open consistently, period. He's running the offense about as perfectly as it can be run, and that's highly rare for any rookie QB. He's making good reads, throwing quickly and accurately when there is a target available. When there's not, he isn't forcing anything (hallmark of rookie QB play). Given the severe limitations of his supporting cast, he's played nearly perfectly. His lack of TD passes are not in any way solely because of his lack of effort, skill, or limitations. They are because of the offense in general.
I'm going to beat a dead horse here, but this is where someone like aiyuk would've come in handy to open things up for JD. Every defense is probably completely dialed in on mclaurin as he's the only real threat among the receiving options. Take him away and all thats left is the run game and JD's legs, putting him at an increased risk for injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad