OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Unlike a certain prior disaster who, if he slid, only did it so late that he only succeeded in lowering his skull into the impact.

Agreed, though that's exactly what happened the first time JD lost his helmet. Sliding can be tough to learn, especially for tall guys. Jayden is also a natural runner, so it must really go against his instincts to break stride. He's not a shifty runner. Fewer cuts, accelerates in straight lines, so it's gotta be hard to fight that reflex.

If someone didn't play baseball, that kind of slide might not come as naturally.

Years ago Gumbel's HBO show did a little segment on the QB slide amid their CTE coverage. Gumbel's a baseball guy, and they went on and on about how different it is in the NFL because of the cleats and grass/turf. If you don't get your feet all the way up immediately and drag them even a little, you can really f*** your legs up.

They did the Slip-n-Slide thing with Caleb on Hard Knocks, which isn't a bad idea.

I like the dive forward slide for athletic qbs.

It can be okay if you get down early, but so many tacklers go low to get a hit on if you give them even the slightest window. Can't do that shit head-first unless you're looking to take more head shots.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
On the subject of JD protecting himself in various ways…unless he wants to look like a hockey player from the 70s, he’d better learn that a mouthpiece is designed to be completely in the mouth.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think that's more than "ok"? He's getting the ball out under pressure. This is what we saw in the preseason. Decisive and quick.

Yeah. We want this, especially while the OL figures itself out. Throwing fast is how Burrow survived for a time behind a brutal Bengals line. He was ripped very hard for being super bad on 20 yard throws, too. Young QBs are going to have problems in their first year.

Reactions: ynotcaps

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I like the dive forward slide for athletic qbs. Traditional slides are for walking stiff statues like Joe Flacco.

I’m guessing this will be the new way to teach WB slides for athletic QBs … founding father is Lamar Jackson. Safer for them. They get to pick the contact, no fear of catching a toe in turf or jamming a knee …
I overheard someone this morning (maybe Dan O?) saying the somersault thing was actually fine and some guys prefer doing that as they don’t like the feeling of being exposed sliding. And we’ve definitely seen Lamar take this approach a bunch. So maybe this is just a new or different approach that works for some running QBs. We’ll have to see if that makes sense long term.

What I did like, though, was that he was giving himself up or going out of bounds pretty easily. He barely even tried to turn on those afterburners in the open field to make guys miss. It was: Get the 1st, go down or out of bounds.

Very different from RG3, who just wanted to keep running until he was body slammed into the ground.

And anyone who felt bad about JD’s performance should watch the highlights of Caleb - he looked totally lost and kept getting balls knocked down at the line.

Todd Bowles was throwing a lot of confusing looks at JD (simulated pressures, disguised coverages), and he often saw the soft spot in the D and attacked with his legs. His quick mind and football intelligence are probably his most encouraging attributes for long term success, and I thought it showed already.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was pretty vocal about thinking Williams' stock should have plummeted last season. He settled into hero ball and was getting baited hard by college defenses. I did a 180 on him; I was really high on him and the talent is there, but I think he took a lot of steps the wrong way away from the pro game.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Enjoy your little victory tonight, 49ers. The Jets might be one of the easier teams you face. The road ahead doesn't get any easier for you. 😼

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Hill was pulling the rich guy act trying to "big league" the cops, but the one cop clearly just lost his temper over being disrespected.

Whether or not Hill broke any laws by arguing with the officers about touching his car or rolling up his window is a murky situation. There is no law against arguing with police unless it overlaps with other procedural laws, as far as I can tell.

At most the cops could claim failure to comply with a lawful order if they thought they were not safe and couldn't see what Hill was doing through the tinted glass, but if they already knew who he was that's a difficult case to make.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
At most the cops could claim failure to comply with a lawful order if they thought they were not safe and couldn't see what Hill was doing through the tinted glass, but if they already knew who he was that's a difficult case to make.

I agree with everything you're saying, but knowing who he is doesn't make them any safer. They can argue all day about who escalated, but the cops have every right to protect themselves. If you're belligerent and they can't see your hands, that's a problem. The judge would really have to be a Fins fan to see any wiggle room there.

The cops don't do themselves any favors by arguing with him. Better to keep it professional for sure. They'll get a talking-to for the jawing a couple of them did, but if it amounts to more than that it'll be due to NFL ass-kissing. The cops were in the right. Comply and the whole thing takes 10 minutes if you don't have a warrant. Decent chance the cops are fans. Being as asshole right off the bat just puts everyone on the defensive.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The part of the police report that describes Hill being "re-directed to the ground" is fine example of euphemisms for law enforcement-initiated escalations. It just feels like the whole thing is avoidable if there was something the officer could do other than to immediately activate "dominance display" mode at the first little sign of anything other than 100% submission.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I agree with everything you're saying, but knowing who he is doesn't make them any safer. They can argue all day about who escalated, but the cops have every right to protect themselves. If you're belligerent and they can't see your hands, that's a problem. The judge would really have to be a Fins fan to see any wiggle room there.

The cops don't do themselves any favors by arguing with him. Better to keep it professional for sure. They'll get a talking-to for the jawing a couple of them did, but if it amounts to more than that it'll be due to NFL ass-kissing. The cops were in the right. Comply and the whole thing takes 10 minutes if you don't have a warrant. Decent chance the cops are fans. Being as asshole right off the bat just puts everyone on the defensive.
We need to go a year or two without cops killing unarmed black people before "they can't see your hands" is something I consider a valid reason for escalating the situation and becoming violent. It doesn't even make sense. If they were in danger, the last thing they should do is open the door, reach in, and try to pull him out of the car. Their own actions show they had no reason to fear for their safety. They just got big mad because he wasn't treating them with the respect they clearly didn't deserve in the first place.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Reactions: Ridley Simon

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
We should have drafted him. Maybe trade down if we thought we had some imaginary value we were going to lose by picking him "early" or whatever.,. Football is won or lost in the trenches.
We absolutely should not have lol. Maybe JD works out, maybe he doesn't. Maybe Maye or McCarthy or Nix will end up being the better QB. When you need a franchise QB and you are picking that high in the draft, you need to take a QB every single time.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
CMC out tonight vs NYJ.

This last minute surprise f***s me over and I'm sure a lot of other people, too.
f***ed my opponent over good and plenty. Especially since I had jordan mason sitting on my bench already

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Yea CMC sitting out helped me in all 3 leagues I'm in. Somehow managed to be pitted against the guy with the #1 overall pick in each league to start this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad