OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
This is everything we want so far….dude looks incredibly dedicated….

THIS SPRING, TEAMMATE after teammate mentioned how early Daniels arrived at the Commanders' facility.

"He always beats me here, so I think that's pretty cool," said defensive tackle Jonathan Allen, who arrives at 6:45 a.m.

"You start to doubt yourself a little bit," said guard Nick Allegretti, who arrives at 6:30 a.m. "You think you're one of the early guys and then he looks like he'd been here for a minute. He is bright eyed. I'm dragging in at 6:30 so I'm going to work on it, maybe get here at six."

Daniels clocks in around 5:45 a.m.

It is what he did at LSU, too. Rookie receiver Luke McCaffrey has been joining Daniels in Washington. The two players watch film, then head to the practice bubble to walk through plays.

After misfires, Daniels often talks to one of his teammates. Tight end Zach Ertzusually can be seen with him after a series, motioning with his hands as if discussing a route. McLaurin and running back Austin Ekeler have said Daniels asked them to stay after practice so he can work on throwing to a particular route.

"I don't think I've had a young quarterback that really has come in and within the first week he's like, 'Hey, can we get this rep after practice?'" said McLaurin, who has played with 10 different starting quarterbacks since joining the organization in 2019. "It makes the growth part a lot quicker."

Not only his play, but Daniels' patience and poise in the pocket has also stood out.

"A lot of guys panic and try to force the throw or just run but he's comfortable back there and he's looking to make a play down the field," Allegretti said. "A lot of rookies just put their head down and run. That's been the biggest thing that's jumped out."
That can't be true. I was told repeatedly that when he gets pressure, he just pulls it down and runs...

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is everything we want so far….dude looks incredibly dedicated….

THIS SPRING, TEAMMATE after teammate mentioned how early Daniels arrived at the Commanders' facility.

"He always beats me here, so I think that's pretty cool," said defensive tackle Jonathan Allen, who arrives at 6:45 a.m.

"You start to doubt yourself a little bit," said guard Nick Allegretti, who arrives at 6:30 a.m. "You think you're one of the early guys and then he looks like he'd been here for a minute. He is bright eyed. I'm dragging in at 6:30 so I'm going to work on it, maybe get here at six."

Daniels clocks in around 5:45 a.m.

It is what he did at LSU, too. Rookie receiver Luke McCaffrey has been joining Daniels in Washington. The two players watch film, then head to the practice bubble to walk through plays.

After misfires, Daniels often talks to one of his teammates. Tight end Zach Ertzusually can be seen with him after a series, motioning with his hands as if discussing a route. McLaurin and running back Austin Ekeler have said Daniels asked them to stay after practice so he can work on throwing to a particular route.

"I don't think I've had a young quarterback that really has come in and within the first week he's like, 'Hey, can we get this rep after practice?'" said McLaurin, who has played with 10 different starting quarterbacks since joining the organization in 2019. "It makes the growth part a lot quicker."

Not only his play, but Daniels' patience and poise in the pocket has also stood out.

"A lot of guys panic and try to force the throw or just run but he's comfortable back there and he's looking to make a play down the field," Allegretti said. "A lot of rookies just put their head down and run. That's been the biggest thing that's jumped out."
They just need to keep this dude healthy. That’s really all it’s going to come down to.

And ALL that entails

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Trading a 2nd is fine, but he still wants a contract in the Jefferson range, I'm just not sure he's the guy we want to pay that much to. We're already paying Terry a lot.
Yeesh. He's a good receiver, but he's not on the level of JJ, certainly not production-wise.

Aiyuk career stats:
269 recs, 3,931 yds, 25 TDs

Jefferson:
392 recs, 5,899 yds, 30 TDs

Both in the league since 2020, so same # years. BA's highest catches were 78 vs. JJ's 128. JJ also has another year of 100+ catches.

Yes, different offenses, different teammates competing with for catches, but in a 4-year sample, that's way too wide a delta to get the same/similar mega contracts.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeesh. He's a good receiver, but he's not on the level of JJ, certainly not production-wise.

Aiyuk career stats:
269 recs, 3,931 yds, 25 TDs

Jefferson:
392 recs, 5,899 yds, 30 TDs

Both in the league since 2020, so same # years. BA's highest catches were 78 vs. JJ's 128. JJ also has another year of 100+ catches.

Yes, different offenses, different teammates competing with for catches, but in a 4-year sample, that's way too wide a delta to get the same/similar mega contracts.
Jefferson has more yards than anyone EVER in his first 4 years….nobody is on JJ’s level…

Reactions: RedRocking

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
You have 49ers fans saying it should be an aiyuk for mclaurin trade 1 for 1
If Aiyuk would take Terry money he wouldnt be on the trade market. Hes a hot head #3/4 weapon on his team and wants top of the league money. I would wait for his franchise tag to play out and sign him after the season. And dont think I want him at all being BFFs with our QB and wanting all that money.

Reactions: Jags

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I’d offer Dotson and a day 3 pick. Or an earlier small “swap”.

And I like Aiyuk. BUT, he also likes our new QB, wants to be paid like “the man”, and wants security.

That’s one place, and he can stop the JJ hyperbole.
AP should be pretty familiar with Aiyuk, as a person, teammate, etc.. from his time in SF. And I’d trust him to have a good idea on valuation, and whether he’s worth targeting. I wouldn’t want to go higher than a 2nd in any potential pkg.

He’s obviously not JJ, but all-pro WR’s make $30M now. It’s just the way the market is today. I saw some numbers indicating that BA is an elite yds/rec, YAC guy - super efficient. I don’t feel like Terry is a strong #1, so this would be like having a 1A and 1B. Plus, Terry only has 2 years left - so it wouldn’t be a ton of years overlapping.

I would love it for Jayden. Like the Bears have invested so much in the WR position to help Caleb. That’s the model now - spend on WRs while your QB is on his rookie deal (like Philly did for Hurts, MIA did for Tua). So, I don’t mind the cost if it helps Jayden become our franchise QB. The fact they’re boys is an added bonus imo, and would undoubtedly help with JD’s transition to the NFL.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
AP should be pretty familiar with Aiyuk, as a person, teammate, etc.. from his time in SF. And I’d trust him to have a good idea on valuation, and whether he’s worth targeting. I wouldn’t want to go higher than a 2nd in any potential pkg.

He’s obviously not JJ, but all-pro WR’s make $30M now. It’s just the way the market is today. I saw some numbers indicating that BA is an elite yds/rec, YAC guy - super efficient. I don’t feel like Terry is a strong #1, so this would be like having a 1A and 1B. Plus, Terry only has 2 years left - so it wouldn’t be a ton of years overlapping.

I would love it for Jayden. Like the Bears have invested so much in the WR position to help Caleb. That’s the model now - spend on WRs while your QB is on his rookie deal (like Philly did for Hurts, MIA did for Tua). So, I don’t mind the cost if it helps Jayden become our franchise QB. The fact they’re boys is an added bonus imo, and would undoubtedly help with JD’s transition to the NFL.
Agree with all of this. Question is — at what cost and then subsequent salary are you good with?

Reactions: RedRocking

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Agree with all of this. Question is — at what cost and then subsequent salary are you good with?
Salary doesn’t worry me that much. Something around 4 years/$120M should get it done. We barely have any big extensions coming up because Ron was terrible at drafting. Terry is at ~ 23M for 2 more years, which is a decent deal now. And a 4 yr deal takes Aiyuk to the end of JD’s rookie deal, and to age 30-31.

The acquisition cost is more worrisome. The highest pick I’d go is a 2nd. Not sure what else would have to be thrown in. Since they drafted Pearsall, not sure they’d like Dotson.

I’m not absolutely clamoring for this move. We have many other needs, and it could certainly make sense to just be patient and see what we have in Doston and LMC this year.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Also Im pretty sure the 49ers want him on the franchise tag as part of the all in move. Its not like they can use the 2nd rounder to help them win this season.

I think they would be in line for a decent comp pick if they franchise tag him out and let him walk.

Eirikrautha

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4