OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
it's kinda funny watching the euros all morning, and then watching prison rules concacaf and jacob shaffelburg misplay the ball on every possession

I remember one my coaches telling me how much he dreaded playing teams from Latin America. Some of them would be friendlies matches but it would turn into a full war on the pitch.

Reactions: God

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As our governments fiddle and procrastinate, I'm beginning to think that summer soccer in some parts of the planet may soon be impossible. The world is just warming too fast.

Canada relies on a lot of energy and pressure on the ball. and in 100-plus degree heat that proved almost impossible. I'm surprised it was only one of the referees who collapsed.

Although these player are some of the fittest athletes in the world; there's only so much the body can withstand in terms of overheating and loss of natural hydration.

I guess most of the South and Central American teams are more adjusted to the heat and humidity. But hats off to Canada for finding a way to grind through and get a result. One of the most important wins in the history of the program.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Argentina beat Chile 1-0. If Canada can manage a draw agains Chile (Saturday), they'll advance.

Canada is the only team in the group other than Argentina to have scored a goal.
They could still draw Chile and miss out, if Peru beat Argentina by more than 2, yeah? Not sure if the tie break is GD or head to head. But Argentina probably will be resting a number of players. Still, unlikely that Peru thumps them.

Either way, great results today. Couldn't have asked for better.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
They could still draw Chile and miss out, if Peru beat Argentina by more than 2, yeah? Not sure if the tie break is GD or head to head. But Argentina probably will be resting a number of players. Still, unlikely that Peru thumps them.

Either way, great results today. Couldn't have asked for better.
Yes, I was assuming a Peru loss or perhaps a draw. But strange things do happen.

Reactions: ziploc

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Whitecaps owners were spending money on the pitch. They cheaped out on the scouting aspect which has resulted in a lot of dud and wasted money on crap like Schöpf and Cavalini.

But yeah, now, they are now reverting back to tightening up the purse strings, judging by their recent transfer windows.

The harsh reality compounding matters is European soccer players are a different breed compared to hockey players and seek nicer climates or cities with a bumping nightlife unless you seriously pay them a hefty amount.
^^^ This. The Whitecaps don't have the pick of the litter to begin with; it is not just the owners. And spending just to sign 'names' who are willing to come just for money has never worked in MLS anyhow.

Frankie Blueberries owns the wrong Vancouver franchise.
^^^ And this has been a point I have repeatedly made too. He would be the perfect MLS owner.

it's kinda funny watching the euros all morning, and then watching prison rules concacaf and jacob shaffelburg misplay the ball on every possession
Oooh, the CONMEBOL fans are not going to be pleased with you...

Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
USA loses to Panama! If Panama defeats Bolivia in the next match (likely), USA would have to beat Uruguay (and by enough to keep the GD in their favour) to advance. Uruguay is a very good team. Veeeerrrrrryy interesting.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Never can understand some of the FIFFA rankings. Heading into the Copa America tournament the Americans were ranked 11th in the world and Mexico 15th.

But the Americans couldn't beat Panama and Mexico lost to Chile. And neither team could finish ahead of Canada to win CONCACAF, heading into the World Cup.

How do they come up with these rankings anyway?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Never can understand some of the FIFFA rankings. Heading into the Copa America tournament the Americans were ranked 11th in the world and Mexico 15th.

But the Americans couldn't beat Panama and Mexico lost to Chile. And neither team could finish ahead of Canada to win CONCACAF, heading into the World Cup.

How do they come up with these rankings anyway?
From what I understand, it's a mathematical formula that can be impacted by a number of variables. For example, the relative strength of each team impacts the effect of wins, losses, and draws. Another factor is the significance of the game: a non-tournament friendly affects a team's rank less than a result in the World Cup finals.

However, I am in no way suggesting I'm an expert on this. FIFA has posted this if you want to know more.

Like any system or model, it will have it's flaws and limitations.

Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Absolute dreadful performance by the Azzurri. In almost 30years of watching them, that's one of the worst games I've ever seen. They gave up at half time. No pace, no urgency, no creativity.

Dogcrap strikers and midfielders too.

Donnarumma, Calafiori and Chiesa are the only ones worth being on the team. The rest are just crap.

Full marks to Switzerland, they deserved it.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Absolute dreadful performance by the Azzurri. In almost 30years of watching them, that's one of the worst games I've ever seen. They gave up at half time. No pace, no urgency, no creativity.

Dogcrap strikers and midfielders too.

Donnarumma, Calafiori and Chiesa are the only ones worth being on the team. The rest are just crap.

Full marks to Switzerland, they deserved it.
It was downright shocking to see a team mail it in after conceding.

My soccer chat is blowing up with all sorts of takes. From a neutral perspective, it seems like the Italian soccer program needs to be massively restructured. From Serie C to Serie A, I think the Euro 2020 win made things worse for the program since it led to complacency.

FIGC will probably answer by putting Alegri in charge and they will respond by missing the 2026 WC.

Reactions: Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
It was downright shocking to see a team mail it in after conceding.

My soccer chat is blowing up with all sorts of takes. From a neutral perspective, it seems like the Italian soccer program needs to be massively restructured. From Serie C to Serie A, I think the Euro 2020 win made things worse for the program since it led to complacency.

FIGC will probably answer by putting Alegri in charge and they will respond by missing the 2026 WC.

For Italy, it's always been like this. They will either win it all, or crash out early. Seems to happen everytime they win something.

The lack of quality strikers has been a problem for a decade. Immobile was just decent enough in 2021 but they were truly awful this year.

Lack of quality midfielders is another but that's a symptom of world football in general. The best ones in the world right now are Kroos and De Bruyne and they are both getting old. I guess I'm used to the olden days of Pirlo, Totti and Zambrotta.

Reactions: Lindgren

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
For Italy, it's always been like this. They will either win it all, or crash out early. Seems to happen everytime they win something.

The lack of quality strikers has been a problem for a decade. Immobile was just decent enough in 2021 but they were truly awful this year.

Lack of quality midfielders is another but that's a symptom of world football in general. The best ones in the world right now are Kroos and De Bruyne and they are both getting old. I guess I'm used to the olden days of Pirlo, Totti and Zambrotta.
The bigger issue there I suspect will be an eventual declining talent pool with a dwindling population and shifting interest amongst youth. There's a massive contrast in football interest from the days I trained in Italy vs now and it was apparant the last time I went and saw the derelict state of pitches and stadiums with no one using it.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
The bigger issue there I suspect will be an eventual declining talent pool with a dwindling population and shifting interest amongst youth. There's a massive contrast in football interest from the days I trained in Italy vs now and it was apparant the last time I went and saw the derelict state of pitches and stadiums with no one using it.

Which sport are the youth trending to in Italy?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Which sport are the youth trending to in Italy?
1719708270465.png

Chile down to ten men fairly early in the half. A couple of yellow cards to Suazo.
Big advantage, though they are playing with fire now with two yellow cards, including one to Davies.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Canada has a chance here, and really needs to push for the win. It is not impossible that Peru could shock Argentina who are not bringing their A game against them. And up a player they really have no excuse not to push for a go ahead goal in the second half.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Canada has a chance here, and really needs to push for the win. It is not impossible that Peru could shock Argentina who are not bringing their A game against them. And up a player they really have no excuse not to push for a go ahead goal in the second half.
Argentina has gone up 1-0 early in the second half!

Argentina goes up 1-0! Looking good for Canada so long as they take care of business.
You just beat me!

Reactions: ziploc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad