Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v6 | Fri, Sept 13 | vs StL | 7pm ET/4pm PT | TBA vs TBA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This is why I thought they would at least CONSIDER bringing him up this week - if not for this series, then when?

When would they decide he's finally "ready" for what would likely be nothing more than a sentimental plate appearance?

Not sure if this post was before or after that passed ball in the 6th that helped open the floodgates and tilt the game in Cincy's favour.....but I'm going to guess it was before. :laugh:

Not that I'd pin the whole game on Kirk's miscue there, the bullpen literally threw away another one.

At least Vladdy's still on a heater.

Burr won't be in leverage situations when the team is in a playoff race so whatever. He's been ok, but pretty inconsistent. Not trustworthy.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Another player who has seemingly hit a wall is Spencer Horwitz. He's now hitting .198 in his last 30 games. It's going to happen with good young hitters. He'll figure it out because he's hit so well in the minors. Davis Schneider, I'm not so sure. He hadn't hit as well as Horwitz has throughout his minor league career.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Last night I noticed there were lots of balls hit to the track. Ball wasn’t going, unless it was absolutely crushed like Vladdy and the one by Friedl.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Another player who has seemingly hit a wall is Spencer Horwitz. He's now hitting .198 in his last 30 games. It's going to happen with good young hitters. He'll figure it out because he's hit so well in the minors. Davis Schneider, I'm not so sure. He hadn't hit as well as Horwitz has throughout his minor league career.
Isolate vs RHP and he hasn't had a single sub-100 wRC+ month yet this season. All you are basically saying is he sucks vs LHP, which was pretty much already widely known before the team started force feeding him everyday reps. Horwitz is still looking like a great strong side platoon bat.

wRC+ vs RHP by month:
184 in June
112 in July
118 so far in August

Also had a 113 wRC+ vs RHP last season so really, Horwitz so far in his young career has never had a bad stretch vs RHP.

Reactions: canucksfan

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
This is why I thought they would at least CONSIDER bringing him up this week - if not for this series, then when?

When would they decide he's finally "ready" for what would likely be nothing more than a sentimental plate appearance?

Not sure if this post was before or after that passed ball in the 6th that helped open the floodgates and tilt the game in Cincy's favour.....but I'm going to guess it was before. :laugh:

Not that I'd pin the whole game on Kirk's miscue there, the bullpen literally threw away another one.

At least Vladdy's still on a heater.
Yeah - it was after the throw down to second. It went south after that.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Isolate vs RHP and he hasn't had a single sub-100 wRC+ month yet this season. All you are basically saying is he sucks vs LHP, which was pretty much already widely known before the team started force feeding him everyday reps. Horwitz is still looking like a great strong side platoon bat.

wRC+ vs RHP by month:
184 in June
112 in July
118 so far in August

Also had a 113 wRC+ vs RHP last season so really, Horwitz so far in his young career has never had a bad stretch vs RHP.
Definitely a big difference in hitting lefties vs righties in all metrics. That's something we already knew.

Left BA .159 in 44 at-bats OPS .422 SLG .142
Right BA .285 in 165 at-bats OPS .833 SLG .455

Regardless, my point still stands that he's only had 22 hits in 111 at-bats in the last 30 games and only 4 hits in 25 at-bats in his last 7 games. He'll be fine. I like that they're force-feeding him lefties because we need to see what kind of a hitter he is in all pitching situations.

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Definitely a big difference in hitting lefties vs righties in all metrics. That's something we already knew.

Left BA .159 in 44 at-bats OPS .422 SLG .142
Right BA .285 in 165 at-bats OPS .833 SLG .455

Regardless, my point still stands that he's only had 22 hits in 111 at-bats in the last 30 games and only 4 hits in 25 at-bats in his last 7 games. He'll be fine. I like that they're force-feeding him lefties because we need to see what kind of a hitter he is in all pitching situations.
Your point does not still stand. Horwitz has never "hit a wall" so far in the one sample that actually matters for him as a lefty hitter, which is against RHP. You almost just have to disregard what he does vs LHP, unless you had unrealistic expectations of Horwitz to become an everyday player.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Your point does not still stand. Horwitz has never "hit a wall" so far in the one sample that actually matters for him as a lefty hitter, which is against RHP. You almost just have to disregard what he does vs LHP, unless you had unrealistic expectations of Horwitz to become an everyday player.
Either you're deliberately being obtuse or you don't understand what I'm saying with regards to hitting a "wall" at this point. So, I'm going to spell it out for you. Let's look at his last 10 games that he started starting with yesterday's game.

Starting Pitcher Throws Horwitz line
Aguiar R 0-4
Iwanaga L 1-4
Hendricks R 1-5
Andersen L 0-4
Fulmer R 1-3
Daniel R 1-5
Sears L 0-3
Bido R 0-3
Spence R 3-4
Kremer R 0-4

It's evident he hasn't hit well against lefties or righties lately. Once again, he'll figure it out cause he's a good hitter, and I agree historically he hits much better against righties, but lately, quite frankly, he's hit a bit of a wall.

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Either you're deliberately being obtuse or you don't understand what I'm saying with regards to hitting a "wall" at this point. So, I'm going to spell it out for you. Let's look at his last 10 games that he started starting with yesterday's game.

Starting Pitcher Throws Horwitz line
Aguiar R 0-4
Iwanaga L 1-4
Hendricks R 1-5
Andersen L 0-4
Fulmer R 1-3
Daniel R 1-5
Sears L 0-3
Bido R 0-3
Spence R 3-4
Kremer R 0-4

It's evident he hasn't hit well against lefties or righties lately. Once again, he'll figure it out cause he's a good hitter, and I agree historically he hits much better against righties, but lately, quite frankly, he's hit a bit of a wall.
Using the 3 different sample sizes you provided except only accounting for PA vs RHP:

Last 30 games vs RHP: 100 wRC+ in 92 PA
Last 10 games vs RHP: 160 wRC+ in 27 PA
Last 7 games vs RHP: 122 wRC+ in 19 PA

Still not seeing a sub-100 wRC+ cold stretch vs RHP anywhere.

Reactions: Discoverer

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
haha and now they cant hit a ball off the reds catcher for 2 innings.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
haha and now they cant hit a ball off the reds catcher for 2 innings.
Must be difficult to go from trying to hit 90mph+FB and 80mph+ off-speed pitches to hitting 50-60mph pitches.

I was reading a genetics sports book and in one scenario, MLB players tried to hit fastpitch balls, where they through underhand. It was so difficult for them because they were so used to hitting balls that come from over the top.

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Vlad is starting at 3B for the 2nd game in a row today for the first time all season, coincidentally after Bassitt's comments on the matter made the rounds (he said Vlad still wants to play 3B over 1B).

Potentially massive implications for 2025, if the Jays have a 1B hole heading into the offseason instead of a 3B hole. 1B holes are much easier to fill.

Also would make it way more palatable to pay up big time on a Vlad extension if he can hang in the hot corner. His defense has already so bad at 1B, why not try him back at 3B?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I saw a tweet about this but since 1918 there's been only one year where the Chicago White Sox won a playoff series and that was in 2005. Every other year, they have either missed the playoffs or lost the first series they played.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Vlad is starting at 3B for the 2nd game in a row today for the first time all season, coincidentally after Bassitt's comments on the matter made the rounds (he said Vlad still wants to play 3B over 1B).

Potentially massive implications for 2025, if the Jays have a 1B hole heading into the offseason instead of a 3B hole. 1B holes are much easier to fill.

Also would make it way more palatable to pay up big time on a Vlad extension if he can hang in the hot corner. His defense has already so bad at 1B, why not try him back at 3B?
How has his defense been at 3B in his limited playing time? He has the arm strength to play there but I think his range is bad from what I have seen. Not sure where to check with the advance stats.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
How has his defense been at 3B in his limited playing time? He has the arm strength to play there but I think his range is bad from what I have seen. Not sure where to check with the advance stats.
Only 60 innings, so almost meaningless.

-1 DRS
-0.1 UZR
-1 OAA

Reactions: canucksfan

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
This man on the mound here is the biggest wildcard we have.. Is he a starter for 2025 or does he work better as a multi inning reliever?

and our catchers are going to start to throw out runners as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad