Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v6 | Fri, Sept 13 | vs StL | 7pm ET/4pm PT | TBA vs TBA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s funny to hear how player x has been working with Hague. Never have I heard player x has been working with Mattingly. What does he even do?

Edit Martinez isn’t mentioned either.

Yup, something is really broken in the hierarchy right now.

You could maybe make an argument that Mattingly is overseeing things but Martinez is the hitting coach and he gets a mention on broadcasts or in media for every 20 that Hague gets right now. What exactly is happening that all of the guys seem to be exclusively working with the lowest coach on the totem pole?

Reactions: canucksfan

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
That splitter looks like a real game changer for Francis like it was for Gausman years ago. Does anyone know the performance metrics for the pitch within his repertoire?

Reactions: jetsforever

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
So, how much longer are they going to keep trotting out Davis “Babe” (hahahaha) Schneider? He’s a mess at the plate and no one appears to know how to help him from their list of hitting coaches. It’s not just the BA, it’s the number of strikeouts and how clueless his approach looks. He has struck out at least once in the last 13 games. He hasn’t had a hit in 22 plate appearances. I know it’s a lost season, but there has to some merit to getting at-bats or we’re rewarding ineptitude.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Reds in town, still no sign of Votto yet, eh?

Thought for sure he'd get a farewell callup, give him/the fans SOMETHING this late in what is a lost season. :laugh:

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Reds in town, still no sign of Votto yet, eh?

Thought for sure he'd get a farewell callup, give him/the fans SOMETHING this late in what is a lost season. :laugh:
They might not be able to call up Votto anymore if his prorated salary would put them over the CBT threshold. It being a lost season factors into it as well. Jays aren't going to make themselves a 3rd year repeater tax team in 2025 just to appease some fans in a lost season with a soon to be retired Votto.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
They might not be able to call up Votto anymore if his prorated salary would put them over the CBT threshold. It being a lost season factors into it as well. Jays aren't going to make themselves a 3rd year repeater tax team in 2025 just to appease some fans in a lost season with a soon to be retired Votto.

Makes sense, even if that ends up making it a waste of a signing.

Figured this season would be Votto's swan song, I bet he didn't expect to spend the entire season in the minors. :laugh:

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I honestly wondered why he hasn't called it quits given the injuries and rehabs in the minors.

Dude's almost 41. has had a great career and made a ton of money, and now he's gonna finish riding the bus in the minors?

Like what's the goal here at this stage? Maybe have a few at bats in September at the Dome so he could say he played for the Blue Jays to finish his career?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I honestly wondered why he hasn't called it quits given the injuries and rehabs in the minors.

Dude's almost 41. has had a great career and made a ton of money, and now he's gonna finish riding the bus in the minors?

Like what's the goal here at this stage? Maybe have a few at bats in September at the Dome so he could say he played for the Blue Jays to finish his career?
That's probably exactly what it is. Dude grew up in Toronto, i'm sure there's part of him that just wants one AB in a Jays uniform so he can really say he's done everything he wanted to in his career.

Or it could just be plain stubbornness/love of the game forcing him to not let go. Hell, Robinson Cano is still out there at almost age 42 in Mexico playing the game. He has no accolades to win, no records to break, plenty of money to retire on. He's just doing it because he loves baseball. Manny Ramirez also did something similar

Reactions: Discoverer

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
That's probably exactly what it is. Dude grew up in Toronto, i'm sure there's part of him that just wants one AB in a Jays uniform so he can really say he's done everything he wanted to in his career.

Or it could just be plain stubbornness/love of the game forcing him to not let go. Hell, Robinson Cano is still out there at almost age 42 in Mexico playing the game. He has no accolades to win, no records to break, plenty of money to retire on. He's just doing it because he loves baseball. Manny Ramirez also did something similar
Yeah, lots of guys keep playing because they just love playing.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
It’s funny to hear how player x has been working with Hague. Never have I heard player x has been working with Mattingly. What does he even do?

Edit Martinez isn’t mentioned either.
I dont think anyone really knows what he does.

Even the telecasts dont. That's probably because even the pressbox crew and studio analysts feeding them lines dont even know what he really does. The Jays telecasts always show Pete Walker pitching coach. How often is Mattingly ever shown or talked about? Almost never.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

This is why I thought they would at least CONSIDER bringing him up this week - if not for this series, then when?

When would they decide he's finally "ready" for what would likely be nothing more than a sentimental plate appearance?

Kirk on his game tonight..

Not sure if this post was before or after that passed ball in the 6th that helped open the floodgates and tilt the game in Cincy's favour.....but I'm going to guess it was before. :laugh:

Not that I'd pin the whole game on Kirk's miscue there, the bullpen literally threw away another one.

At least Vladdy's still on a heater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad