Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v6 | Fri, Sept 13 | vs StL | 7pm ET/4pm PT | TBA vs TBA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's very hittable.

TORONTO — Blue Jays pitcher Bowden Francis wasn't feeling his best on Wednesday after a poor night's sleep led to some fatigue and a fastball that was a little short of peak velocity.

You wouldn't know it by the sterling performance he delivered against the New York Mets.

Francis took a no-hitter in the ninth inning before Francisco Lindor ended his day with a solo homer in an eventual 6-2 Mets victory. It was the second time in the last three weeks that Francis had a no-hit bid ended by the leadoff hitter in the ninth.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I still think they need to find another starter. I just don't have confidence that Y-Rod will be able to handle it, or pitch enough innings.
Agreed, ideally a top of the rotation type, to buffer potential decline from Bassitt/Gausman (though the risk might be overstated some) but also to be there to maintain order after CB is gone and kids get ushered in.
I say that with lots of confidence in YRod too. He can build up in the pen.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I turned down a Jays game.
My first time ever.

With no closer, it feels like the team isn't trying.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We definitely pissed off the baseball gods. How does this happen? A no hit bid is broken up with the first batter of the 9th inning hitting a homer two times in a span of a couple of weeks? Unbelievable.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

1726142953657.png

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I turned down a Jays game.
My first time ever.

With no closer, it feels like the team isn't trying.
When you say "the team", do you mean the players? Because, since the deadline, I think pretty much everyone would disagree with you there. The effort level has been there from everyone.

If you mean management/the organization... the closer is hurt and they traded the rest of the pen at the deadline because they had fallen out of contention. Not sure what you expected.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The stats say that Manaea has reverse splits, so why stack the lineup with righties? please help me understand why do teams consistently go against the stats in cases like this just because in general righties hit lefties better.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The stats say that Manaea has reverse splits, so why stack the lineup with righties? please help me understand why do teams consistently go against the stats in cases like this just because in general righties hit lefties better.
Looking at the stats, I would argue the reverse splits this year are small sample randomness. His numbers are MUCH better against lefties each of the last three years and for his career as a whole. This year, he gets way more groundballs, way more strike outs, and fewer walks against lefties. He's had a HR issue, but I don't think his HR/FB against lefties will stay at 25%.

Last three years vs. lefties: .637 OPS
Last three years vs. righties: .720 OPS

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I found Joseph's and Siddell's comments post game interesting. Contrary to what some have said in here, Serven realized that having a traditional stance with a runner in scoring position late in the game is much better in preventing a passed ball. Whether he is used to that stance or not, I noticed he was doing a hybrid to give him better lateral movements. Well done boys, they're exceptional analysts.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Taking Horwitz out was dumb
I wasn't able to watch the game, but just checking the situation, it seems like a good move to me.

Jiminez isn't that fast, but Horwitz isn't much faster than Kirk. It was a huge upgrade on the bases and Horwitz was unlikely to come up again (as evidenced by the fact he didn't come back up until the 11th). If Horwitz had even close to average speed, you keep him in. But he's really, really slow.

Reactions: canucksfan

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I wasn't able to watch the game, but just checking the situation, it seems like a good move to me.

Jiminez isn't that fast, but Horwitz isn't much faster than Kirk. It was a huge upgrade on the bases and Horwitz was unlikely to come up again (as evidenced by the fact he didn't come back up until the 11th). If Horwitz had even close to average speed, you keep him in. But he's really, really slow.
My concern was they only had one chance, Wagner, of driving him home. There’s a decent chance Horwitz would get up again because it doesn’t always end in the 10th and he did. However, I do get it because of Wagner hits a double and Horwitz was stuck at third it would have been bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad