Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v5 | Wed, Aug 7 | vs Bal | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Kremer vs Gausman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Espino is so bad.

The bats will probably actually be better in the 2nd half but the pitching we’re going to be watching is going to be absolutely miserable.
Wdym? He just struck out future hall of famer Ryan Mountcastle*

*Disclaimer, hall of fame label may not apply outside of games not against Toronto.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I mean... I don't know what you expected after they traded away one of their 4 regular starters and the entire bullpen.

What I mean is, they can play better than this. Come on, man, don’t be so harsh. Would have liked to see more competitive, fun baseball at least. That’s what I meant.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What I mean is, they can play better than this. Come on, man, don’t be so harsh. Would have liked to see more competitive, fun baseball at least. That’s what I meant.

Can they?

Today's starter is a career replacement-level guy with an ERA over 7 this year and the pen as it is at the moment has like 1 good arm in it (Green) after trades and struggle years.

Of course they're getting lit up by one of the better offenses in MLB. They scored 4 runs which isn't bad considering where they came from this season but Espino and the fill-in bullpen isn't going to scare anyone.

People wanted a tear down. This isn't a total one since they kept the good players under contract beyond this season, but it was a partial and significant one and this is what a tear down looks like.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Can they?

Today's starter is a career replacement-level guy with an ERA over 7 this year and the pen as it is at the moment has like 1 good arm in it (Green) after trades and struggle years.

Of course they're getting lit up by one of the better offenses in MLB. They scored 4 runs which isn't bad considering where they came from this season but Espino and the fill-in bullpen isn't going to scare anyone.

People wanted a tear down. This isn't a total one since they kept the good players under contract beyond this season, but it was a partial and significant one and this is what a tear down looks like.

Fans in theory : I want to watch 5 straight 100-loss seasons to hoard high draft picks!

Fans in reality : After watching 2 games of crappy replacement pitchers, I’m outraged and I’m not watching anymore.

This is the duality of garbage time. It’s fun to watch guys like Barger get ABs but it’s excruciating to watch horrible players like Yerry/Espino/Serven and the pitching we’re going to see for the next two months is going to be an ordeal to suffer through.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Didn't mean for it to come off that way... sorry if it did.

I think we will see a lot of the kind of ball you're referring to, specifically because there are so many young kids with the team now. I was referring specifically to games like this one where, because of the trades, they're starting a shitty AAA starter and then when he's done they have to go to their shitty AAA relievers for 5+ innings.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Didn't mean for it to come off that way... sorry if it did.

I think we will see a lot of the kind of ball you're referring to, specifically because there are so many young kids with the team now. I was referring specifically to games like this one where, because of the trades, they're starting a shitty AAA starter and then when he's done they have to go to their shitty AAA relievers for 5+ innings.

Yeah, this game has basically been one of the best-hitting teams in MLB getting to tee of on a list of AAA pitchers who could legitimately be the guys throwing from the Buffalo Bisons in any given game for that team at that level. It was never going to go well.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Fans in theory : I want to watch 5 straight 100-loss seasons to hoard high draft picks!

Fans in reality : After watching 2 games of crappy replacement pitchers, I’m outraged and I’m not watching anymore.

This is the duality of garbage time. It’s fun to watch guys like Barger get ABs but it’s excruciating to watch horrible players like Yerry/Espino/Serven and the pitching we’re going to see for the next two months is going to be an ordeal to suffer through.

Yeah, this is what I went through with the Sharks the last couple of seasons. Since like 2019 fans had been pushing for them to try and sell off their worthwhile assets and get out from under the awful contracts. Lots of "I don't care if they get worse, I just want to have some hope for the future". Then in 2022 they actually started doing that.

And for the last two years they were pretty legendarily bad and everyone's suddenly like "oh my god I can't watch this trash they aren't even trying."

Except they were trying. They were just trying with a roster that would probably be challenged by a competent AHL club. Luke f***ing Kunin was getting top line minutes. The shambling corpse of M-E Vlasic was getting top 4 minutes. I don't know what other outcome anyone could've expected.

Tanks and teardowns means watching teams that get stomped not because they don't care but because they literally can't do better. You have to know that going in and learn to live with it.

Reactions: MS

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Far more likeable than when that curmudgeon Showalter was their manager and their lineup consisted of d-bags like Machado and Chris Davis.

Yeah, but there was some schadenfreude value in that playoff comeback game watching Showalter's sour face in the dugout when the Jays walked them off and he had inexplicably left Zach Britton in the pen because it wasn't a save situation. :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ideally the you want the young hitters and potential relief arms finish strong and win but lose more close games to get a higher draft pick. It is a Espino start vs Baltimore, it was a guaranteed loss. Should be what to expect.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Ideally the you want the young hitters and potential relief arms finish strong and win but lose more close games to get a higher draft pick. It is a Espino start vs Baltimore, it was a guaranteed loss. Should be what to expect.

Ideally, you want to win the next 20 games in a row and get back in the playoff race 😜

Reactions: Discoverer

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yanks have an endless money pit, they couldn't put a roof on their stadium? Sheesh. I can't believe they built so many new ballparks in the 21st century without a roof, especially in the north, north east USA.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yanks have an endless money pit, they couldn't put a roof on their stadium? Sheesh. I can't believe they built so many new ballparks in the 21st century without a roof, especially in the north, north east USA.

Traditionalists would've screeched because old Yankee Stadium didn't have a roof.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Given the weather conditions we see in places like Texas some days, it almost feels like roofs/domes are going to become mandatory as we get older. Most of the warmer climate cities were smart enough to build domes/roofs like in Arizona, Houston, Miami, the Rangers new park, i believe Tampa is also building a roof with their new park. I'm sure the A's will build one if their dumbass boondoggle in Vegas ever actually comes to fruition.

The only place where i think would bother me is in the context of some football teams. The Yankees playing with a roof wouldn't bother me nearly as much as say, the allure of Green Bay's mythical frozen tundra suddenly not being a thing anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium