Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v5 | Wed, Jul 31 | @ Bal | 12:30pm ET/9:30am PT | Espino vs Rodriguez

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The only part I don't like about waiving Kiermaier is that, at least to me, it suggests saving money is the priority: they would rather have a team claim him and take on the rest of his salary than pay down his salary to get something back in a trade.

Not that he'll have a ton of value (and he's likely to go unclaimed anyway), but I assumed someone would give up a lottery ticket prospect or something to get an elite defender for their bench for the stretch run if the Jays covered most of the money he's owed.

Reactions: MS

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
The only part I don't like about waiving Kiermaier is that, at least to me, it suggests saving money is the priority: they would rather have a team claim him and take on the rest of his salary than pay down his salary to get something back in a trade.

Not that he'll have a ton of value (and he's likely to go unclaimed anyway), but I assumed someone would give up a lottery ticket prospect or something to get an elite defender for their bench for the stretch run if the Jays covered most of the money he's owed.

For better or worse, most reports indicate they are planning on trying to compete again next sesason so I think getting under the tax threshold should be a priority in that case.

It would lower the base tax rate for next season from 50% to 20%.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

revocable means if a team claims him then call revoke the claim to work out a trade. It shows nothing of what you're claiming. I also don't see value in eating 5 million in salary for a garbage prospect. If that money allows them to re spend in the off season I'm good with it. KK isn't bring anything of value back either way but I'd hope for a lottery pick at least as well.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
revocable means if a team claims him then call revoke the claim to work out a trade. It shows nothing of what you're claiming. I also don't see value in eating 5 million in salary for a garbage prospect. If that money allows them to re spend in the off season I'm good with it. KK isn't bring anything of value back either way but I'd hope for a lottery pick at least as well.
My understanding is that they're not "revocable" waivers in the same way they used to be. The Jays don't have the option to "pull him back" off waivers if a team claims him. The "revocable" part they're referring to just means if he doesn't get claimed he stays on the team (as opposed to a DFA situation).

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I sense this is going to be a re-tool situation rather than a full out blow up. I expect fringe guys to be traded, but Bo and Vladdy will stay. I would also expect this organization to be very aggressive again in free agency especially with guys like Bo and Vladdy one year away from free agency. Another factor with a re-tool is we need somebody to play and use up innings next year. We have nobody in the farm system who is even close to being ready so blowing it up makes no sense.

For example, if they trade Bassitt, they’re going to be looking for a guy just like him in the winter. Might as well just hang onto him

Reactions: Forgotusername

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

Unless I am misunderstanding your point, why wouldn't you want the Jays to reset their tax penalties heading into 2025? Every Jays fan should be expecting this out of the FO.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Unless I am misunderstanding your point, why wouldn't you want the Jays to reset their tax penalties heading into 2025? Every Jays fan should be expecting this out of the FO.
When I wrote that, I didn't realize they would be able to get under the tax penalty threshold and saw it as a classic Rogers-trying-to-save-a-few-bucks move. If they're able to reset the tax, it should allow them to spend more next year, so that's definitely different.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Hi!

SE0PcV5.jpeg

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
And they lose in the bottom of the 9th....

They had bases loaded with no outs in the 8th, and couldnt drive in more than 1 run.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Man as much as the offense has been bad this year i feel like the bullpen has been a bigger problem. They can't hold any lead unless it's 5 runs or more.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023

If they get below the salary threshold then when guys like Jano and Kikuchi punt their qualifying offers, they get higher compensatory draft picks. Burn it down except for Vlad, the science teacher; a couple other kids, and the big 3 at the front of the rotation. I like Green but dangle him to the Yanks. They love him. Bichette is a 2B. He's one of the shittier SS in baseball. Trot Springer out for another year and Varsho as well. Give the cake to Vladdy.

Getting rid of Teo, Gurriel and Moreno for a case of Lucky is pure stupidity. Someone needs to pay.

Shapiro and Atkins crapped their pants the last off season. They and S h rider need to go at seasons end. Tap into some real baseball minds and hire the next up and coming group to run this ship. Either way they need to take a blowtorch to this shitshow cwlling the shots. The three pinheads need to go. Take Blair and Barker with them.

Reactions: LaP

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
My understanding is that they're not "revocable" waivers in the same way they used to be. The Jays don't have the option to "pull him back" off waivers if a team claims him. The "revocable" part they're referring to just means if he doesn't get claimed he stays on the team (as opposed to a DFA situation).
Oh interesting. I did not know that. Considering he went unclaimed I guess we have a sense of his value. Jays will eat some salary to get a small piece for him I’m guessing.

This is a terrible time for Richards to start an unreliable streak as he likes to do. Tank his trade value now

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Five walks (1 intentional) and two wild pitches in the last two innings leads to another sad effort from the bullpen. It’s a shame because it ruined a pretty decent game from the rest of the team. We saw a number of smart hitting (3 sac flies) plays and we even outhit them (8-5). Turner was absolutely dreadful at the plate (3 strikeouts and a double play ball with a runner on third in the eighth).

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
If they get below the salary threshold then when guys like Jano and Kikuchi punt their qualifying offers, they get higher compensatory draft picks. Burn it down except for Vlad, the science teacher; a couple other kids, and the big 3 at the front of the rotation. I like Green but dangle him to the Yanks. They love him. Bichette is a 2B. He's one of the shittier SS in baseball. Trot Springer out for another year and Varsho as well. Give the cake to Vladdy.

Getting rid of Teo, Gurriel and Moreno for a case of Lucky is pure stupidity. Someone needs to pay.

Shapiro and Atkins crapped their pants the last off season. They and S h rider need to go at seasons end. Tap into some real baseball minds and hire the next up and coming group to run this ship. Either way they need to take a blowtorch to this shitshow cwlling the shots. The three pinheads need to go. Take Blair and Barker with them.
This isn't as big of a deal as some claim to be. Teo and Swanson provided a similar production last season. This season obviously is quite different. Jays also received a very solid pitching prospect in Macko. They did need to replace Teo's bat which they didn't do.

Varsho has provided slightly better production than Moreno and Gurriel this season.

The biggest problem with this season is the bullpen and offensive players underperforming. Bo, Kirk, Turner(not a surprise given his age), Springer(has turned it around finally), and KK. Recently, Jansen has also really struggled.

Overall, management has done well with free agents and trades. However, their weakness has been the draft, especially pitching, and taking too long to make necessary changes.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
This isn't as big of a deal as some claim to be. Teo and Swanson provided a similar production last season. This season obviously is quite different. Jays also received a very solid pitching prospect in Macko. They did need to replace Teo's bat which they didn't do.

Varsho has provided slightly better production than Moreno and Gurriel this season.

The biggest problem with this season is the bullpen and offensive players underperforming. Bo, Kirk, Turner(not a surprise given his age), Springer(has turned it around finally), and KK. Recently, Jansen has also really struggled.

Overall, management has done well with free agents and trades. However, their weakness has been the draft, especially pitching, and taking too long to make necessary changes.
Meh.... they were never going to compete with that paper mache' lineup they trotted out in April, let alone that blowpen. Anthopolous was such a shitty manager apparently. Yet the Braves are a perennial contender. Gut the front office in the off season. Let them make deals till the end of the season, except no to moving the big 2 or the front 3 of the rotation. They've had plenty of time to build something. Give 'em all the hook.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
IKF be back right after the break? Moves need to get made here.

I would be inclined to sign Yimi Garcia to an extension... rest of the free agents in the pen can go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad