Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v5 |Tue, Jul 9 | @ SF | 9:30pm ET/6:30pm PT | Kikuchi vs Snell

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
How many outfielders around the league make that catch? Even leaving aside that very few would even get to the ball in the first place, there can't be more than a few who would be willing to ram the wall at that speed to catch it. Amazing catch.

Jay supposed to be all about defence to put them over the top. The team is bottom 10 in the league in fielding %. And top 10 in number of errors committed.

Never ever focus on defence too much in baseball. It's all about hitting and pitching. Fielding can always swing wildly from year to year no matter how many gold gloves you got.

In other sports, a ironclad defence in football, basketball and hockey can get you far. Defence in baseball isnt that important.

Big time hitting and pitching will get your farther than saving on some errors and doing a superman diving catch once every two weeks.

If management wants to shore up the defence better, tell Bo to stop gunning on bad throws to first base where he airmails a throw over Vlad's head. And tell him to stop charging at every ball like is stupid crash and burn collision in the playoffs.
By every advanced stat, the Jays are an elite defensive team for the second year in a row.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
My yearly home series!

6W0hDOV.jpeg

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don't know what you need to see to understand the coach is the least of our problems here. The roster stinks, that is the problem. Atkins needs to go imo. I wouldn't even let him tear this down, it needs to be someone else.
Considering how poorly we did on the returns when Atkins tore it down the first time I hate the thought of the zero value we are about to get for all our pieces. I’m terrified that if we did trade Bo at the deadline how badly he’s gonna fumble that.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Heh, I didnt watch it all but its hilarious to see that Kiermaier was the one that broke the no hitter with a homer of all things.

.10 games under, never thought they can be this bad this year.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Considering how poorly we did on the returns when Atkins tore it down the first time I hate the thought of the zero value we are about to get for all our pieces. I’m terrified that if we did trade Bo at the deadline how badly he’s gonna fumble that.
Agreed. I have always been supportive of Atkins/Shapiro. I thought the last two off seasons were terribly managed. Tbh, I don’t think he should have survived until this year.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Heh, I didnt watch it all but its hilarious to see that Kiermaier was the one that broke the no hitter with a homer of all things.

.10 games under, never thought they can be this bad this year.
Neither did I but it's not a mirage. With the players taking turns being horrifically inept, and the bullpen a sacred mess, it's not a surprise.

Last 15 games:

Schneider BA .156
Kiermaier .176
Kirk .167
Bichette .193
Varsho .120
Barger .190
Jansen .144

These are pitiful results from regulars. Last 30 games isn't much better for most of these guys. I'm not including the massive slump Springer was on. Tragic numbers for a team that was supposed to contend for a wild card.

Coming into the season, this was a team with the 7th highest payroll of $221,862,600 out of 30 teams.

My now daily question: How the hell does Atkins still have a job???

Reactions: shaner8989

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Interesting thread on Bo. I posted something similar weeks ago with the decline of bat speed with key players on the Jays. Jays have players who can have good bat speed but they don't swing as hard as they can. Springer has increased his bat speed recently and he has had success with that. The organization for whatever reason changed its hitting strategy after 2022.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Normally, I'd be excited for the Seattle series each year but not this year.
Team is in disarray and all those Jays fans are treated to a poor product.

Thank the good stars Seattle plays in the ratchet ass AL West, that division is terrible and outside of Texas and Houston, none of the other teams are a threat. The Angels and the A's, that's as terrifying as chocolate covered onion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad