Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v4 |Mon, Jun 17 | vs BOS | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Pivetta vs Kikuchi

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
What are you talking about? I listen to them a lot and they are far from defending the jays or the front office
No, I didn't mean they are shilling. They are rightfully critical, I meant to say they are running out of ideas of what the internal improvements could be.

I listen to them every day when I can.

I often wonder if Barker would be a good hitting coach. the way he breaks down the batters what they are doing is very informative.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Bunting to get KK is hilarious
Yeah, very dumb. If you switch Kiermaier and IKF, then sure, go ahead and bunt.

But having a guy who's hit well this year bunt to bring up a guy who's been awful and strikes out too much to be able to take advantage of the runner on third with one out is REALLY dumb.

Reactions: canucksfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Ok, what's the deal with the Godzilla theme? I thought maybe it was just being done for Kikuchi but now I hear it no matter the start. Seems like maybe it's for 2-strike or 2-out situations?

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Great performance from the bullpen day, 5-0 combied shutout.

They can't keep running this out every 5 days though... Need a starter that can go 5-6 innings.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Great performance from the bullpen day, 5-0 combied shutout.

They can't keep running this out every 5 days though... Need a starter that can go 5-6 innings.
Francis should be able to start going 5+ pretty soon. Four innings today and up to 68 pitches... if he's stretched out to 80+ for his next outing he should be able to take on something closer to a normal starter's role.

Rodriguez should be back soon, too. That should help a lot.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Francis should be able to start going 5+ pretty soon. Four innings today and up to 68 pitches... if he's stretched out to 80+ for his next outing he should be able to take on something closer to a normal starter's role.

Rodriguez should be back soon, too. That should help a lot.
Rodriguez is a wild card IMO. can't rely on that. besides i dont think they will let him pitch deep into games.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
What I don't get is how in 2021/2022 the team was excellent offensively. Even in 2020 when the team was still rebuilding the team was pretty good offensively. Those teams were built by the same management group today. Now, the Jays are one of the worst offensive teams.

Without sounding like an over the top old man fan, the GM is an idiot, he does not understand baseball. He understands computer graphs and beep bops. Apparently, this has been reported by many beat reporters a number of times, the team is run 100% by the computer nerds in the windowless room. The teams does what ever the graphs tell them to do. Reports are that even the Manager is not allowed to make any gut decisions, he has to look at his computer printouts, have team meetings, to decide which pitchers to use, which hitters to use. You dont need to look any further than Berrios in the playoffs last year or Schneider getting benched during a hot streak this season.

In Blue Jay land every decision is made by a computer algorithm, apparently the nerds told Atkins that defence centric teams win more than they lose. It's fine to use accurate computer models to give you a starting point but nothing will replace a coach who understands the game, who understands when a player has a hot hand and boatloads of confidence, the computer tells you this hitter is shitty against lefties but he is on a 14 for 32 tear, in Blue Jay land that hitter will get the day off because a computer says so, in the old days you go with the hot hand. I'll put Tony La Russa or Sparkey Andersen in their primes, who know human nature and understand the importance of experience and a hot hand (confidence), against a computer any day of the week.

On most days this team is unwatchable, they dont even do the fundamentals well. I've played and coached the game for 40+ years, my inner coach is screaming when the catcher sets up in the wrong place or the hitters guessing and sitting on a pitch that is a foot outside and swinging. Although baseball is the most cerebral of the 4 major North American sports, at a certain point you need to throw all the bar graphs away and just play the game, react to what you see, be an athlete. This team literarily looks like a team that has got the wrong mindset (wrong computer data) in their heads when they are at the plate.

Bad Farm system, terrible bullpen, one of the worse starting hitting line ups in MLB.... for a team that relies on metrics so much they sure are ignoring obvious in your face data of how poorly the metrics tell us the GM is doing .... Vald is not who we thought he would be, although he is having a decent year this year and Bo has regressed. Our LF cant hit, our CF cant hit, our RF cant hit, our DH can't hit, our 3B is a replacement level player our SS can't hit, our starting pitching staff is good one start, garbage the next, our Bullpen is the worse in baseball - and I didn't need a million dollar analytics department to observe that.

MLB is a primarily gate driven league. The Jays just invested $400M into renovating the Dome. Her role is far from useless.

? Since when? They are a TV revenue driven league, have been for decades.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Yeah, very dumb. If you switch Kiermaier and IKF, then sure, go ahead and bunt.

But having a guy who's hit well this year bunt to bring up a guy who's been awful and strikes out too much to be able to take advantage of the runner on third with one out is REALLY dumb.

It's what the graphs told them to do...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It's what the graphs told then to do...

giphy.gif
I know "blame the nerds" is fun and all, but there is literally no stat in the world that suggests that bunt was a good decision. That was 100% the manager making a dumb choice based on his gut

Without sounding like an over the top old man fan, the GM is an idiot, he does not understand baseball. He understands computer graphs and beep bops. Apparently, this has been reported by many beat reporters a number of times, the team is run 100% by the computer nerds in the windowless room. The teams does what ever the graphs tell them to do. Reports are that even the Manager is not allowed to make any gut decisions, he has to look at his computer printouts, have team meetings, to decide which pitchers to use, which hitters to use. You dont need to look any further than Berrios in the playoffs last year or Schneider getting benched during a hot streak this season.

In Blue Jay land every decision is made by a computer algorithm, apparently the nerds told Atkins that defence centric teams win more than they lose. It's fine to use accurate computer models to give you a starting point but nothing will replace a coach who understands the game, who understands when a player has a hot hand and boatloads of confidence, the computer tells you this hitter is shitty against lefties but he is on a 14 for 32 tear, in Blue Jay land that hitter will get the day off because a computer says so, in the old days you go with the hot hand. I'll put Tony La Russa or Sparkey Andersen in their primes, who know human nature and understand the importance of experience and a hot hand (confidence), against a computer any day of the week.

On most days this team is unwatchable, they dont even do the fundamentals well. I've played and coached the game for 40+ years, my inner coach is screaming when the catcher sets up in the wrong place or the hitters guessing and sitting on a pitch that is a foot outside and swinging. Although baseball is the most cerebral of the 4 major North American sports, at a certain point you need to throw all the bar graphs away and just play the game, react to what you see, be an athlete. This team literarily looks like a team that has got the wrong mindset (wrong computer data) in their heads when they are at the plate.

Bad Farm system, terrible bullpen, one of the worse starting hitting line ups in MLB.... for a team that relies on metrics so much they sure are ignoring obvious in your face data of how poorly the metrics tell us the GM is doing .... Vald is not who we thought he would be, although he is having a decent year this year and Bo has regressed. Our LF cant hit, our CF cant hit, our RF cant hit, our DH can't hit, our 3B is a replacement level player our SS can't hit, our starting pitching staff is good one start, garbage the next, our Bullpen is the worse in baseball - and I didn't need a million dollar analytics department to observe that.

I like how you used "Reports are..." and "Apparently..." to make it sound like your opinions are supported by actual evidence.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I know "blame the nerds" is fun and all, but there is literally no stat in the world that suggests that bunt was a good decision. That was 100% the manager making a dumb choice based on his gut

I like how you used "Reports are..." and "Apparently..." to make it sound like your opinions are supported by actual evidence.
Statistically the player is more likely to move the players along with a bunt vs free swinging, even great hitters fail 7 out of 10 times... every hitting metric in the world says runners at 2nd and 3rd are more likely to score than runners at 1st and 2nd. So yes every stat related to situational hitting says that bunting was the right choice. If it was a call that made sense that is a different debate.

Google is a wonderful tool to support actual evidence :D ... feel free to do a search.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

This didn't even answer my question. If he doesn't understand baseball how come Atkins built teams that were among the best offensives in baseball?

The Jays aren't even the most analytically driven team. I believe the top three are the Yankees, Rays, and Dodgers. Pretty good teams over the last 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine