Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v3 | Thu, May 23 | @ Det | 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT | Gausman vs Flaherty

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Flaherty is coming in hot. On paper a good pitching matchup.

72K to 8 BB for Flaherty in 54 innings so far this year.

They catch a break missing Skubal in this series but Flaherty is tough.

And man, Reese Olson is somehow 0-5 with a 2.16 ERA in 9 starts. That has to be one of the unluckiest stretches for a starting pitcher in MLB history. Jesus.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
72K to 8 BB for Flaherty in 54 innings so far this year.

They catch a break missing Skubal in this series but Flaherty is tough.

And man, Reese Olson is somehow 0-5 with a 2.16 ERA in 9 starts. That has to be one of the unluckiest stretches for a starting pitcher in MLB history. Jesus.

He's doing a Classic deGrom.

Reactions: MS

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Why does every other team get the benefit of inflating their records vs less competitive teams but the Jays are only judged upon how they have fared against the top teams?

For instance, in the last few weeks:
  • The White Sox swept the Rays and Guardians
  • The Orioles lost a series to the A's
  • Dodgers lost a series to the Nationals
  • The Rockies swept the Rangers and Padres
If all these teams can't even beat the bottom dwellers - do they suck too?
I love how you missed the point completely. Do good teams lose to bad teams? Absolutely. Do good teams always lose to good teams? No. Yes you want to pad your position in the standings beating up on lesser teams. But you're kind of making my point for me. Those teams lost series against inferior teams and it didn't really hurt them in the standings. If we lose these next few series against supposedly inferior teams our season is that much closer to cooked. Can you spot the difference?

View attachment 874698

Xenforo will be getting a new "editor" soon, so things like this should be lessened.
how about that. I had no idea. I'll likely forget next time it happens but good to know I can actually fix it. thank you

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
They have to start beating the good teams too, obviously. I'm not suggesting they can just start beating up on the White Sox and A's and be a real contender.

The Jays are 13-16 against teams that are better than .500. Only three teams in the AL have better records against .500 teams (Baltimore, Cleveland, New York).

There are two things separating the Jays from those other contenders right now: the Jays haven't been good enough against sub-.500 teams, and they've played fewer of them.

Like... the Rays have played 16 games against teams over .500. Texas has played 17. Boston 22, KC 15... even the Yankees only have 16 (though they're 9-7, so they've actually been decent).

Seattle has the exact same record against teams over .500 as the Jays, they just have a shitty division and have gone 14-7 against sub-.500 teams.

So if you're going to say it's meaningless to be in contention by beating up on bad teams, it's probably good to keep in mind that the only thing separating the Jays from the other Wild Card contenders right now is that those other teams have spent the first 50 games beating up on bad teams.
I don't want to double up the same response I gave to somoene else as I just saw theirs first. Agreed you need to beat up on the bad teams to augment your position in the standings but if you can't be good teams and good pitching you are going nowhere anyway.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I still don't get why Vladdy can't slug. .383 slugging is just not good enough for a player like that. Those hard line drives have to turn into more extra bases at some point

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't want to double up the same response I gave to somoene else as I just saw theirs first. Agreed you need to beat up on the bad teams to augment your position in the standings but if you can't be good teams and good pitching you are going nowhere anyway.
But that leaves the only AL contenders as Baltimore, Cleveland, and New York. If you think those are the only contenders then that's fine, but those teams lose in the playoffs all the time. My concern is just making the playoffs for now, and I don't think any of the other teams in the hunt look any more impressive, particularly if your standard is that they can beat good teams (since the Jays seem to be better at that than them).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I still don't get why Vladdy can't slug. .383 slugging is just not good enough for a player like that. Those hard line drives have to turn into more extra bases at some point

For all the dumb stuff that's happened in the last year, the single biggest failure in the organization is the inability of anyone to find a way to channel this player's massive talent into putting the ball in the air.

Like, we know he can do it. He hit 48 home runs 3 years ago. And it's not like his ABs are horrible or he isn't trying or he isn't hitting the ball as hard as he used to.

With the quality of ABs he's having and how hard he hits the ball he should have 10 HRs just in the last month. Someone needs to figure it the f*** out.

Reactions: Vector

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Sportnet is showing the stadium scoreboard and Jamie Campbell and his buddy are doing the play by play in dead silence based off a static cam view that doesnt even move. LOL

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jamie Campbell doing PBP from Toronto based off the scoreboard feed from Detroit is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Ball gets smoked up the middle, but camera doesn't shift off Gausman, Campbell is clearly expecting a hit but then guesses it was a double play based on Gausman's reaction ... and was right! Meanwhile camera has now switched to showing hot girls in the stands.

I'd still take this over Apple TV, though.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
"Although you cant see it, Torkelson will be in motion". LOL

Because hey are showing whats on the stadium scoreboard, they'll also footage of Tigers fans in the crowd cheering at the camera. lol

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Dan Shulman has now taken over the Sportsnet feed calling in doing play by play from a cell phone. Sounds terrible of course. Major echo.

Because there's a delay in the stadium and cellphone feeds syncing, Dan Shulman called IKF HR before it was even shown on the TV. lol

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Haha!! IKF hits a homerun but the play by play was 30 seconds ahead of the video so you heard about it before you saw the homer

Reactions: 647Hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad