Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v3 | Thu, May 23 | @ Det | 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT | Gausman vs Flaherty

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's about to turn 35 in a sport where almost nobody hits well past age 32-33.

He's probably not as bad as this (I thought he was quite unlucky in the first couple weeks of the season) but this was always what was going to happen with this contract, which was a poor decision the second it was signed.

Just to add to this :

There are only 9 qualified hitters in MLB older than George Springer. The only one who is anything better than a journeyman average-ish bat is Freddie Freeman (a week older than Springer) and even he is starting to see his power numbers take a massive hit this year.

Springer is basically just really old by the standards of modern MLB. I think people are still living in the 1990s/2000s when there were all kinds of roid monsters raking until they were 40 against 91 MPH fastballs. In 2024 it's exceedingly rare that guys can keep up with 100 MPH stuff past the age that Springer is now.

Reactions: Kurtz

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I liked the Springer signing but I also thought there would be some deeper playoff runs before he got to this point. He was always a signing you made to be competitive for the first half or so of the contract and took what you got at the end... unfortunately the guys who should be covering for his dip are all doing the same at much younger ages. I can barely be bothered to tune into games this year, and in past years I almost never missed a game. I would stream at work or listen to a broadcast.. this team just really does not have much identity or anything going for them currently that gets the fan base excited. Star players not being stars, any "youth" is either struggling in the minors or actually over 25 years old and not given a chance regardless. Some of the more likeable players like Lourdes, Teo and Moreno all shipped out for parts that have not really pushed the needle. Lots of swings and misses all over the field and in the management offices.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And this is the same team that laid an egg last night. lol.

Hah the home run jacket.

The guy they were facing last night has a 0.39 ERA and 0.746 WHIP in May and has some of the nastiest starter stuff in MLB.

Tonight they're facing a minor-leaguer in his 3rd career start.

Jeez, horrible error by Guerrero there.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Plus a red carpet in the dugout
Now they’ve got something to play for again, I guess. Winning wasn’t enough. Tonight was the night management finally gave up on trying to turn these guys into pros and just decided to sell them as a sideshow. You could hear it in Schneider’s voice after the game.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah he's been bad.

Control obviously comes and goes but you can’t have guys whose default position is ‘can’t throw strikes’.

Now they’ve got something to play for again, I guess. Winning wasn’t enough. Tonight was the night management finally gave up on trying to turn these guys into pros and just decided to sell them as a sideshow. You could hear it in Schneider’s voice after the game.

These kinds of dumb dinosaur attitudes are why they had to get rid of it in the first place despite the fact that basically every MLB team does something like it.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Despite how disappointing the season has been so far, they're right there with the rest of the Wild Card contenders - 2.5 games out with 116 games left.

They've had a really tough schedule to start the year, and the next three weeks should be about as easy as it gets for them to gain some ground. They need to get their shit together and start hitting, but they're right in it.

Despite how disappointing the season has been so far, they're right there with the rest of the Wild Card contenders - 2.5 games out with 116 games left.

They've had a really tough schedule to start the year, and the next three weeks should be about as easy as it gets for them to gain some ground. They need to get their shit together and start hitting, but they're right in it.
I hate this argument more than anything else. We've had a tough schedule to start the season. If they can't beat those teams we aren't legit. Beating garbage teams to get back in the mix is meaningless.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I hate this argument more than anything else. We've had a tough schedule to start the season. If they can't beat those teams we aren't legit. Beating garbage teams to get back in the mix is meaningless.
So much that you quoted him twice? :sarcasm: ;)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
They have to start beating the good teams too, obviously. I'm not suggesting they can just start beating up on the White Sox and A's and be a real contender.

The Jays are 13-16 against teams that are better than .500. Only three teams in the AL have better records against .500 teams (Baltimore, Cleveland, New York).

There are two things separating the Jays from those other contenders right now: the Jays haven't been good enough against sub-.500 teams, and they've played fewer of them.

Like... the Rays have played 16 games against teams over .500. Texas has played 17. Boston 22, KC 15... even the Yankees only have 16 (though they're 9-7, so they've actually been decent).

Seattle has the exact same record against teams over .500 as the Jays, they just have a shitty division and have gone 14-7 against sub-.500 teams.

So if you're going to say it's meaningless to be in contention by beating up on bad teams, it's probably good to keep in mind that the only thing separating the Jays from the other Wild Card contenders right now is that those other teams have spent the first 50 games beating up on bad teams.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Exactly lol. I hate i hit backspace by mistake and it entered the quote box. Once there I was trapped. Backed out and come back it with a now double down lol.

hfboards.xenforo.quote.issue.png

Xenforo will be getting a new "editor" soon, so things like this should be lessened.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
They have to start beating the good teams too, obviously. I'm not suggesting they can just start beating up on the White Sox and A's and be a real contender.

The Jays are 13-16 against teams that are better than .500. Only three teams in the AL have better records against .500 teams (Baltimore, Cleveland, New York).

There are two things separating the Jays from those other contenders right now: the Jays haven't been good enough against sub-.500 teams, and they've played fewer of them.

Like... the Rays have played 16 games against teams over .500. Texas has played 17. Boston 22, KC 15... even the Yankees only have 16 (though they're 9-7, so they've actually been decent).

Seattle has the exact same record against teams over .500 as the Jays, they just have a shitty division and have gone 14-7 against sub-.500 teams.

So if you're going to say it's meaningless to be in contention by beating up on bad teams, it's probably good to keep in mind that the only thing separating the Jays from the other Wild Card contenders right now is that those other teams have spent the first 50 games beating up on bad teams.

Yup, also helps that the Rays have been incredibly lucky with 1 run games. Inverse that luck for the Jays and they’re in the WC3 spot.

The team hasn’t been good to say the least but beating up bad competition is also essential to playing postseason baseball. The Jays haven’t had the luxury of facing bad teams often.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Why does every other team get the benefit of inflating their records vs less competitive teams but the Jays are only judged upon how they have fared against the top teams?

For instance, in the last few weeks:
  • The White Sox swept the Rays and Guardians
  • The Orioles lost a series to the A's
  • Dodgers lost a series to the Nationals
  • The Rockies swept the Rangers and Padres
If all these teams can't even beat the bottom dwellers - do they suck too?

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
These kinds of dumb dinosaur attitudes are why they had to get rid of it in the first place despite the fact that basically every MLB team does something like it.
dinosaur attitudes good not bad. These league-mandated routines are super cringey. You can tell half the players in dugouts across baseball think so too. Pretty sure the Jays only brought it back because vladdy was being petulant about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad