GDT: 2024 Training/Rookie Camp/Preseason Discussion

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think they will get their chances soon enough too... I just think they deserved a spot on the opening-night roster due to their play lately.

I'd argue that Vilmanis as showed as much potential as Mackie lately, and yes he did it against juniors but his end of the season was as good or better than Samo's !

But I get it... You all love Samo and everything is fine.

Personaly, I don't find it fair to see a guy who participated in like 4 days out of 16 or 18, get a spot ahead of someone who did everything you asked out of him without missing a days...

But it is probably just me, as I seem to be quite alone with that thought.

You could have rewarded Vilmanis for two weeks, and then send him back after his obvious rookie slump, bring Mackie up after he showed his domination in the first few games of the A season... It would have been better management IMO.
I agree that the choice could have been made in either direction regarding Samo and Vilmanis.

Nonetheless, I expect Samo to have a short leash, if he doesn’t produce, then it’s Vilmanis’ turn.

I don’t really know as a fan which way is better. I want the best team on ice, I don’t have a special attachment to either of these two players. This is a bit like, do you shoot first in the shootout? If you do (like giving Samo the first spot) and you score, you’ve got the upper hand. If you miss, the next guy has the upper hand.

A couple of moths later, could be either of these two who sticks, or maybe neither. I’m in a wait and see state of mind.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
St. Martin had the best preseason out of the young guys IMO

I believe it has more to do with the circumstances…

Late-round pick, re-entry in the draft, unknown new player, big smile on his face and energy…

Vilmanis was better IMO, but St-Martin did look like he could be the next Vilmanis… A late round-pick surprising offensive player with a possible NHL future !

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I believe it has more to do with the circumstances…

Late-round pick, re-entry in the draft, unknown new player, big smile on his face and energy…

Vilmanis was better IMO, but St-Martin did look like he could be the next Vilmanis… A late round-pick surprising offensive player with a possible NHL future !
Who we see break camp with the team will not be the final edition for the full season anyways, people just love to bitch about stuff

Reactions: BabyBennettov

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I agree that the choice could have been made in either direction regarding Samo and Vilmanis.

Nonetheless, I expect Samo to have a short leash, if he doesn’t produce, then it’s Vilmanis’ turn.

I don’t really know as a fan which way is better. I want the best team on ice, I don’t have a special attachment to either of these two players. This is a bit like, do you shoot first in the shootout? If you do (like giving Samo the first spot) and you score, you’ve got the upper hand. If you miss, the next guy has the upper hand.

A couple of moths later, could be either of these two who sticks, or maybe neither. I’m in a wait and see state of mind.

I totally share your opinion.

It is just, as I’ve said, I can’t get behind the gift-wrapping for Mackie… Sorry, but I just can’t.

A second-year pro that clearly couldn’t cut it last year, that finished strong in the A for his first season but comes up injured for basically the whole training camp in his second year… He shouldn’t have been handed a top-9 job freely.

Which is what happened and pissed me off !

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Who we see break camp with the team will not be the final edition for the full season anyways, people just love to bitch about stuff

I basically never bitch our players or management, you know me better ! lol

And I know that when we will look back on the season, opening night roster won’t matter very much.

Making the opening night roster should still be a reward for your summer of training and showing in camp… Even if they cut you back after just one game, I wouldn’t care.

It’s about treating your players right…

In the end, there was never a battle for the Reinhart-hole (third-line RW) because it was Mackie’s all along, and it wasn’t even his to lose, it was 100% guaranteed to him, like we saw how it unfolded. He could have had a broken leg, they would still have him playing that role because it was his and his only.

I don’t like that. I don’t like that at all.

And I’m bitching… Hey, even after calling all Panthers fans out, I’m still only just that… A Panthers fan. So I have to bitch and bully sometimes too ! lol :P

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
It ISN'T an automatic spot for Vilmanis...

It is DESERVED after his play in pre-season ! After going through the whole camp, being one of the surprises in the first hard few days, then kept producing in every games and showing progress through camp.

It is Mackie who has had, for two years in a row now, an automatic and secured spot in the lineup without earning it ! And we all saw how that turned out last year for him...

Samo's play late in the AHL Season showed his progression, but it shouldn't have secured him a spot on the big club for this year... And yet, it seems this is what happened.

And I'm not okay with that. That's all.

It is Mackie who has been given A LOT... Others don't seem to have this chance.

I don't see how Vilamnis deserved a spot based on a couple exhibition games. He's a 20 y/o late round pick who has zero pro games under his belt. It's Samo who has paid his dues by playing last year in the ahl, not the other way around.

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018
I totally share your opinion.

It is just, as I’ve said, I can’t get behind the gift-wrapping for Mackie… Sorry, but I just can’t.

A second-year pro that clearly couldn’t cut it last year, that finished strong in the A for his first season but comes up injured for basically the whole training camp in his second year… He shouldn’t have been handed a top-9 job freely.

Which is what happened and pissed me off !
Vilmanis "couldn't cut it" in the NHL last year either.

Success in the AHL is more important than success in junior.

There is more to camp than just preseason games, and more to these decisions than such a small sample size of games.

Ultimately it's not a big deal because if Vilmanis belongs he'll force a callup with good play in the AHL, and if Samo fails he'll get sent down.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
And Adam Boqvist is a bum.

520ffc9f4049153a.jpg

Pink Panther

Jan 13, 2015
Hollywood
I basically never bitch our players or management, you know me better ! lol

And I know that when we will look back on the season, opening night roster won’t matter very much.

Making the opening night roster should still be a reward for your summer of training and showing in camp… Even if they cut you back after just one game, I wouldn’t care.

It’s about treating your players right…

In the end, there was never a battle for the Reinhart-hole (third-line RW) because it was Mackie’s all along, and it wasn’t even his to lose, it was 100% guaranteed to him, like we saw how it unfolded. He could have had a broken leg, they would still have him playing that role because it was his and his only.

I don’t like that. I don’t like that at all.

And I’m bitching… Hey, even after calling all Panthers fans out, I’m still only just that… A Panthers fan. So I have to bitch and bully sometimes too ! lol :P
I read all your posts, and I know how it looks, but I think this is a bit of a pedigree discussion, and a bit of "asset management" by the Panthers as well.

Mackie cost (relatively speaking) a lot more, a late first rounder, than Giles or Vilmanis. He has a higher pedigree period. The Panthers have gotta figure out what they've got in Samoskevich first before he becomes an RFA in the summer and before even worrying about the other two guys IMO.

Vilmanis: literally zero rush with him. A 5th-round 20YO with 3 years left on the ELC. Let him grow up more in the AHL, it's great for him.

Giles? A 24YO with 4 years of college hockey and 2 years in the AHL already... and went undrafted. If he works out in the NHL as a late bloomer, great! That's a free pickup like a waiver claim. Low risk, absolutely no rush right now 🙂

I'm rooting for all three of these guys btw, I love it when prospects actually work out, so I hope they do haha

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Okay I get it…

Samoskevich is the new golden-boy of the Panthers who can do no wrong.

And Adam Boqvist is a bum.

Got it.
Man talk about overreacting. Do you remember the days of the Panthers rushing prospects that look good in the preseason and then screwing up their development? And what the hell are you saying to your prospects that do their time in the AHL, do everything that you ask them for a year, and then because a guy has a good couple games in preseason he gets the chance instead of you because you got nicked up. That’s going to ruin the organization’s relationship with its prospects a lot faster than what is happening here. You’ve got Zito’s picture in your avatar and are acting like he doesn’t know how to handle player development. Calm down have a mint.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I wouldn’t be surprised if they send Samo back down as soon as Nosek is healthy. If so, that’s probably why he got the spot right now. He’s more experienced and further along in development, I’m sure they want to get him as many looks in the nhl between now and when he’s ready for a fulltime position (which if I’m guessing will more likely be next season than this season). They know nosek won’t be out for long so let samo get a couple reps while the chance is there and when Nosek is healthy bump Jesper up to line 3, Nosek centers line 4 and samo goes back to the ahl to continue developing. I’m eager to see what Vilmanis does in the ahl with how he finished this past season (post trade).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad