2024 Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I've made countless caveats that he might figure it out later and I'm really talking about where he is at right now, and people still get offended by it. I think it's just a kid people like so much that neutral analysis sounds like an assault. You yourself shared his stat card which placed him at the 2nd percentile among NHLers, but if I was to say it that way people wouldn't believe it. How do you go about saying that he should be on the 4th line without making viqsi upset? I don't know how to do that.
I’ll trust Evason and DW to do the right thing with Sillinger and the others. But make no mistake, we’re going to suck this year. Badly. If they think Sillinger is a long term center, might as well let him play center.

Reactions: koteka and DEF

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I have a somewhat lower long term projection for him because of his bottom end skating and passing ability, but this isn't a long term discussion, it's about where he's at now. Putting him on the wing or the 4th line seems anathema to many, including the team management. So much so that solid centers with positive results like Jenner and Voronkov are getting put on the wing instead.

Last season Jenner was averaging over 20 minutes a game and Voronkov was taking himself off the ice at the end of shifts because he didn’t have stamina. It’s not like Sillinger was taking their minutes last year. We’ll see what happens this season.

Personally I don’t put much credit in any statistic that involves expected goals.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’ll trust Evason and DW to do the right thing with Sillinger and the others. But make no mistake, we’re going to suck this year. Badly. If they think Sillinger is a long term center, might as well let him play center.

That all sounds fair to me until I see a KJ - Sillinger - Chinakhov third line, then I'm pretty unhappy about it. Our long term development hinges on what happens to the high upside guys, not on Sillinger.

I'll add that I like Voronkov's upside more. Older, yes, but there's a lot more skill and size to work with. I think he might be a special player and it's odd to me that he doesn't get any consideration from some despite getting terrific results. Why aren't we talking about figuring out his long term role?

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
That all sounds fair to me until I see a KJ - Sillinger - Chinakhov third line, then I'm pretty unhappy about it. Our long term development hinges on what happens to the high upside guys, not on Sillinger.

I'll add that I like Voronkov's upside more. Older, yes, but there's a lot more skill and size to work with. I think he might be a special player and it's odd to me that he doesn't get any consideration from some despite getting terrific results. Why aren't we talking about figuring out his long term role?
I really hope Evason is able to take advantage of him.

I really like the idea of a KJ-Vronk-Fantilli/Chinny lineup. KJ could be the perfect playmaker for them.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio

Maybe they are in the process of figuring it out
We are only two days into camp, haven’t played one game yet
Everyone is starting off with a clean slate so why not give them some time to figure it out
Seems reasonable to me with a new GM and HC

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe they are in the process of figuring it out
We are only two days into camp, haven’t played one game yet
Everyone is starting off with a clean slate so why not give them some time to figure it out
Seems reasonable to me with a new GM and HC

Certainly they'll try a lot more things, but I think I have a good guess as to what the default is going to be.

I really hope Evason is able to take advantage of him.

I really like the idea of a KJ-Vronk-Fantilli/Chinny lineup. KJ could be the perfect playmaker for them.

Hmmm...

Jenner - Monahan - Marchenko
KJ - Voronkov - Chinakhov
JVR - Fantilli - Brindley
Silly/Olivier - Kuraly - Danforth

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Certainly they'll try a lot more things, but I think I have a good guess as to what the default is going to be.

Hmmm...

Jenner - Monahan - Marchenko
KJ - Voronkov - Chinakhov
Silly/Olivier - Kuraly - Danforth
3 big body centers, tons of energy with the old man on the 3rd. I just worry about playmaking on the first. Marchy would be the play driver on that line I feel like, which could be a good thing, I do think he might have another gear to hit.

Reactions: majormajor

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Does Brindley have a real shot at 3rd line RW? I loved watching him at the World Championship. He was great on the forecheck even for his size.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
3 big body centers, tons of energy with the old man on the 3rd. I just worry about playmaking on the first. Marchy would be the play driver on that line I feel like, which could be a good thing, I do think he might have another gear to hit.

Yeah that's a fair concern. I had a similar thought when I saw that line tweeted yesterday.

KJ - Monahan - Jenner
Marchenko - Voronkov - Chinakhov

Does Brindley have a real shot at 3rd line RW? I loved watching him at the World Championship. He was great on the forecheck even for his size.

I expect that he's already one of the best 9 forwards on the Jackets, but I'm not sure if it's such an overwhelming case that they skip the AHL for him. In his one game last Spring I noticed that he is a very smart player who manages the puck well. And that's important because he can't be the physical buzzsaw he was in college, he's just too small for it.

If you see me penciling Brindley in, it's just wishful thinking. We haven't had any tell from Evason about Brindley yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad