NFL: 2024 Training Camp and Preseason

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That seems like a bit much to be fining these guys considering they barely get paid anything in training camp, I know it is a broken record, but the players continually get screwed in their collective bargaining agreements
Also consider, that if he doesn't have any guarantees on his contract, he could get $0 in game cheques if he is cut just before the final roster is finalized, which is like 24 hours before your game. He would be a vested veteran, so as long as he is on the 53 man roster within 24 hours of game 1, his $14 mill would then become fully guaranteed if it isn't right now.

This is the way it goes for the PA. Too many members. 53 on active roster, plus 16 on PS. 70 players basically. Times 32 teams is 2240 players. And only about 12-15 players on a roster make really good money, at $7 mill plus per season. The guys from round 2-7 and UDFA for the 4 years of the rookie contract average under $1 mill. So, those guys know that their time in the NFL is short and can't afford to miss cheques. As the last guy at each position group can be replaced on the main roster.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Also consider, that if he doesn't have any guarantees on his contract, he could get $0 in game cheques if he is cut just before the final roster is finalized, which is like 24 hours before your game. He would be a vested veteran, so as long as he is on the 53 man roster within 24 hours of game 1, his $14 mill would then become fully guaranteed if it isn't right now.

This is the way it goes for the PA. Too many members. 53 on active roster, plus 16 on PS. 70 players basically. Times 32 teams is 2240 players. And only about 12-15 players on a roster make really good money, at $7 mill plus per season. The guys from round 2-7 and UDFA for the 4 years of the rookie contract average under $1 mill. So, those guys know that their time in the NFL is short and can't afford to miss cheques. As the last guy at each position group can be replaced on the main roster.

So in theory, if Reddick holds out all of training camp and gets cut before the season starts he could end up like 3 million in the hole

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So in theory, if Reddick holds out all of training camp and gets cut before the season starts he could end up like 3 million in the hole
I would doubt that if he doesn't get a game check that you recoup that money from him. Probably designed to withhold pay vs send it to collections. But, it would be a waste of 3rd round pick. They knew he wanted a new deal from Philly when they acquired him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Does seem like we are going to see more translucent "dome" stadiums moving forward for the northern markets. If the city is paying a major chunk of it, I can see them wanting more events in it vs have nothing but the NFL from Oct to Jan. Plus, cover the months of Feb and March and possibly April too. Going to lose the essence of football, but I get the economics of it.

Just have to compare Indy, Det, Minny who are in domes vs Pitt, Cle, Cin, Chi, GB in open air, in that mid west to great lakes region of the difference in events in that time frame.

Ideally, like to see them keep a grass field.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
some rumors that the new Washington stadium would be a dome, no need for domes here

i know they make more money for march madness and the final four and other events but football was meant to be played outside

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
some rumors that the new Washington stadium would be a dome, no need for domes here

i know they make more money for march madness and the final four and other events but football was meant to be played outside
I agree, but who's paying for the stadium? You'd want to get the max return for it. Outside of the sky, a retractable roof doesn't let more light in than a translucent one does. And for the 9 figures in extra costs, I can see why they'd go fixed roof.

For half a year from Oct to March (at least), what's the difference in other events that the dome stadiums can hold vs open air? Is it like 10, 15, 20, more of the 180 available days?

But, certainty going to lose the essence of football under a roof.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Does seem like we are going to see more translucent "dome" stadiums moving forward for the northern markets. If the city is paying a major chunk of it, I can see them wanting more events in it vs have nothing but the NFL from Oct to Jan. Plus, cover the months of Feb and March and possibly April too. Going to lose the essence of football, but I get the economics of it.

Just have to compare Indy, Det, Minny who are in domes vs Pitt, Cle, Cin, Chi, GB in open air, in that mid west to great lakes region of the difference in events in that time frame.

Ideally, like to see them keep a grass field.
That's the main problem. The open air stadium in Cleveland sits empty for all but a dozen events a year.

Football played in weather is the best football, but no one is putting up billions of dollars to have a stadium sit unused most of the year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's the main problem. The open air stadium in Cleveland sits empty for all but a dozen events a year.

Football played in weather is the best football, but no one is putting up billions of dollars to have a stadium sit unused most of the year.
Just using Lucas Oil stadium, from Oct to March, I can see 8 Entertainment events, and 4 sporting events (1 NCAA for big 10 championship game, and 3 NCAA March Madness games).

From Aug 8 to Sep this year, it's 4 Entertainment and 1 sporting event.

These stadiums, even a dome one, outside of the NFL, over 8 months is still very limited use of like 12 Entertainment and 4 other sporting events. Unless, this is an unusually low booking year.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Right, because the only dome you need in regards to Washington football is polishing dan synder's dome.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

but are there really that many events that need a 55K+ seat venue in the winter to make it worth the extra costs?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
but are there really that many events that need a 55K+ seat venue in the winter to make it worth the extra costs?
I listed what Lucas Oil in Indy had from Aug 8 (didn't get access to the past week). I think of the 12 days of Entertainment events, 3 of the events were the same thing, like a Swift concert, for example. So, only like 5 unique events if you will over 8 months at Lucas Oil. So, not many.

But, I would also assume, there is more wear and tear for an open air stadium than a Dome one since it's exposed to the elements.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Outdoor football is an endangered species. They’re gonna build that stadium outside Buffalo and regret not putting a roof on within 5 years. And having it in Buffalo.

Ad

Ad

Ad