NFL: 2024 Training Camp and Preseason

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Dak gets 60..
What does Purdy get?
Dak probably doesn't get retained by Dallas. Even if Dak walks at the conclusion of the season, he leaves behind $40 mill in dead cap for 2025. And he's a $59 mill cap charge this season as well. And his base salary is about $34 mill this year. So, the Cowboys have already paid him $65 mill from prior years that they haven't take a cap charge for. See what the market is for a true free agent.

Every QB jumps the next. So, depends on how else is going to sign between now and when Purdy is due up. Tua, Love appear to be pushing for new deals now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
CeeDee should not sign until he knows what Dak is doing

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Wasn't sure where to post this. Looks like the push to an 18 game season has begun.

They really want to ensure the playoffs is just a bunch of 3rd stringers playing because the stars are all injured.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We’ve been on the road to 18 games since they started getting serious about Europe.

There’s always someone.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Good to see the Cowboys are due for a tumultuous season full of distractions en route to the core being blown up in the off-season.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Didn't the Lions sign the top UFL kicker in the offseason? Badgely probably took a dive just to protect his income
Yep, Jake Bates. Made a few 60+ in the UFL this year. Went 6 for 6 in practice yesterday and most people were expecting/hoping he would win the starting job.

Still would've liked if Badgely didn't get hurt to have that competition in camp as we know he can be accurate within 50 and we're not so sure on Bates' accuracy or how he handles NFL pressure

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Yep, Jake Bates. Made a few 60+ in the UFL this year. Went 6 for 6 in practice yesterday and most people were expecting/hoping he would win the starting job.

Still would've liked if Badgely didn't get hurt to have that competition in camp as we know he can be accurate within 50 and we're not so sure on Bates' accuracy or how he handles NFL pressure

yeah never hurts to have an experienced guy around, now they have to scrounge for another camp leg

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Doubt anyone will care, but I decided to use the linked article to make a roster of Canadians+ex-CFL players in NFL in a depth chart. There's 54 Canadians/ex-CFL players in camp with NFL teams, so just slightly more than a full roster.

QB
1. Nathan Rourke (NYG)
2. Brett Rypien (CHI)
3. Casey Bauman (LAC)

RB
1. Chase Hubbard (CAR)
2. Chase Brown (CIN)

WR
1. Josh Palmer (LAC)
2. Chase Claypool (BUF)
3. John Metchie (HOU)
4. Austin Mack (ATL)
5. Jared Wayne (HOU)

TE
1. Dalton Kincaid (BUF)
2. Theo Johnson (NYG)
3. N'Keal Harry (MIN)
4. Tanner McLachan (CIN)

OL - Positions might be miffed a bit, there's essentially 1 tackle in the list and 10 guards. But many of those guards played college/university at tackle and I'm not following each player super close as to which teams are moving guys exactly where)
LT
1. Alaric Jackson (LAR)
2. Giovanni Manu (DET)
LG
1. Matthews Bergeron (ATL)
2. Isaiah Adams (ARI)
C
1. Carter O'Donnell (ARI)
2. Julian Good-Jones (WSH)
3. Dakoda Shepley (DAL)
RG
1. Sidy Sow (NE)
2. Kyle Hergel (NOS)
RT
1. Theo Benedet (CHI)
2. Anim Dankwah (PHI)

DE
1. Michael Hoecht (LAR)
2. Mathieu Betts (DET)
3. Luiji Vilain (CAR)
4. Kendal Vickers (NOS)
5. Lwal Uguak (TB)

DT
1. David Onyemata (ATL)
2. Neville Gallimore (MIA)
3. Brent Urban (BAL)
4. Nathan Shepherd (NOS)
5. Eli Ankou (BUF)

OLB
1. Tavius Robinson (BAL)
2. Jesse Luketa (ARI)
3. Sam Eguavoen (NYJ)

MLB
1. Alex Singleton (DEN)
2. Amen Ogbongbemiga (CHI)

CB
1. DeAundre Alford (ATL)
2. Benjamin St Juste (WSH)
3. Qwan'tez Stiggers (NYJ)
4. Deane Leonard (LAC)
5. Tevaughn Campbell (JAX)

SS
1. Sydney Brown (PHI)
2. Erik Harris (SF)
3. Douglas Coleman (CHI)

FS
1. Jevon Holland (MIA)
2. Taylor Rapp (BUF)
3. Jonathan Sutherland (SEA)

P
1. Trenton Gill (DEN)

KR/PR
1. Tyreik McAllister (LVR)

Canadian and ex-CFL talent has never looked stronger than right now. Yes, maybe no elite superstars on this. But some quality starters peppered throughout. Still obviously lacking much in proven NFL talent at some key positions like QB, WR, T, OLB, DE but this is miles ahead of where it was even 5-10 years ago. Game continues to grow bigger north of the border.

Anyways this was just for fun for me to kill some time (and to plan my next Madden team haha).
I didn't even know the lions signed Betts before today, then I saw some Lions fans talking about him on Reddit. The highlight video looks pretty insane, so hopefully the overall CFL talent level really is decent

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
All in..Jurrah is a kook
Dallas never get out in front when it comes to contracts. Rather follow than set the market which given the way too guys operate they leap frog each other unlike the nhl where McDavid sets the mark and others follow it until he’s mostly through his contract which Mathews just jumped as his deal was shorter.

They already before this season have $65 mill for Dak that they have paid him but have yet to hit their cap. That’s why he’s like a $59 cap charge but with about $34 mill in a salary this season and would leave $40 mill in dead cap next season.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I didn't even know the lions signed Betts before today, then I saw some Lions fans talking about him on Reddit. The highlight video looks pretty insane, so hopefully the overall CFL talent level really is decent

Betts is an odd one. Played uSports in university. Was a star. We have seen very limited examples of uSports players go onto success in the NFL such as Israel Idonje, David Onyemata, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.

Drafted high in CFL, he got some minor looks back in 2019 signing with Chicago before being released. He came back to Edmonton in CFL and was trending to a bust on one of the CFLest poor outfits over that time. Ended up released after 2021 when he played 13 games, mostly starts, and recorded just 12 tackles and 0 sacks. Then in 22 moved over to BC and became a competent starter with 7 sacks and 26 tackles in 18 games.

Then in 23 he came out of nowhere to have a historic season. His 18 sacks in 23 set a CFL record for sacks by a Canadian. I believe it was also the highest total for any player since Cam Wake got 23 in 2008 also with BC. Nobody expected him to blossom into a superstar at 28.

He's in Detroit at 29 years old with no bonus money in his contract. He's in a HUGE uphill battle to grab a roster spot. He's got drive, and his 2023 was magical, but he was never guy I had pegged as a guy who would go NFL. He's likely not a PR candidate so he'll have to crack main roster as a contributor, well see.

Reactions: izlez

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's in Detroit at 29 years old with no bonus money in his contract. He's in a HUGE uphill battle to grab a roster spot. He's got drive, and his 2023 was magical, but he was never guy I had pegged as a guy who would go NFL. He's likely not a PR candidate so he'll have to crack main roster as a contributor, well see.
PS roster players in the NFL make $12.5K USD per week over the 18 weeks, thus $225 USD if he's on the PS the entire season, which is almost $300K CAD. I doubt non QBs make that kind of money, but would do so without the wear and tear of playing an 18 game CFL season. Veterans who have more than 2 NFL seasons get more, like upwards of $16K USD per week, but Betts would not qualify for that.

PS today isn't just about developing future players, it's also to ensure you have the depth to cover for injuries. So, even at age 29, they may keep him around if they feel he could play and help out over a 22 year old rookie. But, I don't know the Lions DL depth outside of Hutchinson.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
PS roster players in the NFL make $12.5K USD per week over the 18 weeks, thus $225 USD if he's on the PS the entire season, which is almost $300K CAD. I doubt non QBs make that kind of money, but would do so without the wear and tear of playing an 18 game CFL season. Veterans who have more than 2 NFL seasons get more, like upwards of $16K USD per week, but Betts would not qualify for that.

PS today isn't just about developing future players, it's also to ensure you have the depth to cover for injuries. So, even at age 29, they may keep him around if they feel he could play and help out over a 22 year old rookie. But, I don't know the Lions DL depth outside of Hutchinson.
That's why I said likely not. Most NFL teams will keep a 21-24yo on the PR thinking they'll develop more. So yes there's a chance he ends up on a PR if they feel they need the extra depth, but I consider it pretty unlikely.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's why I said likely not. Most NFL teams will keep a 21-24yo on the PR thinking they'll develop more. So yes there's a chance he ends up on a PR if they feel they need the extra depth, but I consider it pretty unlikely.
Really depends on whether those other kids can play now. They have 14DL listed and 1 on PUP. Think they run a standard 4-3 scheme. Thus should carry 4DE. So 8 DL in total.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Always worry about the first 2-3 days of camp. The knee tears, Achilles, and to a lesser extent the groin/hamstrings pulls.

Everyone practices on grass so that’s not the issue. Until later in the season when teams have to move indoors due to weather.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Big loss for the Cowboys. :ha:

from dallascowboys.com:

sal6xi2tunsr0d71eng2.png

Even before the first full-padded practice, the Cowboys have suffered their first significant injury of camp.

Sam Williams, who is expected to have an increased role and help the team's pass rush, suffered a torn ACL and MCL in his left knee during Sunday's practice. That injury will require orthoscopic surgery and will put him on season-ending injured reserve.

Williams was participating in a special teams drill when he was blocking with another defender during the injury that dropped him to the ground for a few minutes. Williams had to be helped up and put no weight on his left leg when he was carried to the cart.

Immediately after practice, Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones was hoping for the best-case scenario regarding Williams, but said "it doesn't look good."
That's a tough loss for both Williams and the Cowboys, who drafted him in the second round in 2022 with hopes he could be a force off the edge.

While Williams has recorded 8.5 sacks in two years, this was supposed to be his big opportunity seeing as the Cowboys did not re-sign free agency Dorance Armstrong and Dante Fowler, who both reunited with Dan Quinn in Washington.

EDIT: I see GKJ beat me to the story. :clap:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the new kickoff rules pretty much killed whatever was still left of the onside kick anyways

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad