2024 Tour de France

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The 2024 starts tomorrow (actually today in Europe). Some interesting story lines, the Tour starts in Italy and because of the Olympics in Paris will end in Nice. Vingegaard is coming back from a broken collarbone, have to wonder if his fitness will be there. And Pogacar is trying to become the first since Pantani to win the Giro and the Tour in the same year. Should be interesting, the Tour always is.

Dec 29, 2004
Since his passing, there hasn't been a Tour that I haven't missed Paul Sherwen's informative and genuine interest in the numerous landmarks scattered along the route. I am sure this year will be no exception.

I doubt very much that Vingegaard will be the one to challenge Pogachar this year. Should Vingegaard find form, he will still be without the services of Sepp Kuss. Rogolic? Remko? We will have to see. But it is the Tour and unexpected things tend to happen very quickly.

But to be honest, I don't get hung up on the GC. I have also learned, years ago, not to get attached to cyclists, because the guy you cheer for today might be the villain who gets kicked off the Tour for doping tomorrow. (I am looking at you Alexander Vinokourov.)

Hopefully this will be a better year for the breakaway than last year. Otherwise I fear a boring procession for Pogachar. But, hey, at least the scenery will be beautiful...

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Wow. What a great first stage. Fantastic win for Bardet and incredible debute stage for Frank van den Broek.

I'm not used to be invested in the race from stage 1, but this time I was glued to the screen, rooting for Bardet and van den Broek.
I could not have been happier with the outcome of the stage. Hopefully this will be only one of many exciting stages.

I doubt that the race overall will be too exciting, because I expect Pogacar to win this one easy.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
Pogacar is the favourite but if he wins it won't be with ease. When is the last time the Giro winner also won the Tour? Vingegaard has the disadvantage of being out of "race shape" but he's definitely fresher than Pogacar and that could be a massive advantage in the second half on some of the ridiculous mountain stages. Not having Kuss is a blow, but Visma still has one of the strongest supporting groups on the tour and will give JV every opportunity to stay in contention.

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
Super tight at the top of the GC. Pogacar on top officially but Evenepoel, JV, and Carapaz have the same time and there's lots of big names within ~20 seconds.

Dec 29, 2004
Pogachar and Vingegaard are the narrative, but Remko and Carapas caught them before the end.

I was kind of hoping Bardot would hold onto it for a few more days.

Last edited:

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Two great race days to start the Tour but boy... even granted that Pogacar has all of those race days from the Giro on him, I'm surprised Vingegaard isn't glowing a nuclear green at this point. Great entertainment but the suspension of disbelief is required here.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Two great race days to start the Tour but boy... even granted that Pogacar has all of those race days from the Giro on him, I'm surprised Vingegaard isn't growing a nuclear green at this point. Great entertainment but the suspension of disbelief is required here.

It's been less than 13 weeks since Vingegaard had a fractured collarbone, broken ribs, pulmonary contusion (bruised lung) and pneumothorax (punctured lung).

The mountains will reveal a lot but I agree that if Vingegaard hangs tough with Pogacar and company throughout the Tour, it's hard not to think Visma has some special "vitamin" program that's more dialed in than any other competitor.

Dec 29, 2004
Not my favorite type of stage, if this was a movie I would call it filler... Ride an uneventful 190km to get in a crash.

Good on Gimay though, made history, first black African to win a stage.

Carapaz in yellow. It was speculated that Pogachar would let it go to not have to deal with the responsibilities for a day or so.. (press, drug testing, etc).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $32,249.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00