Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It’s classic private equity strategy. Buy a ton of companies you think can grow. Some will, some won’t. Hit big enough on the hits and shed the misses for some cash flow.
There is a huge difference though in dealing with companies than with human being. I am not so sure for instance that all signed players are fine with having 3 or 4 new players at their position joining in. I know people will say it's business and they are professional that agreed to sign that contract but I also believe that stability and feeling backed is an important piece in players development. Not so sure how Petrovic for instance see these new signings as positive from his perspective.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’d love to know what these players see in it. Aren’t they all just signing incentive-laden deals? What difference does that make if they’ll never play at Chelsea?
Financial security. It’s certainly not to be a star at Chelsea

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
West Ham pipping Juventus to a signing feels like the most intense manifestation I’ve seen yet of “wow PL money really is changing the power dynamics of the game”
They’ve had weeks to agree with Nice. This is more legacy clubs trying to nickel and dime clubs because they have the leverage of players wanting to join them. So I tend to this one as more just desserts than anything. Juventus have plenty of money, they’re just trying to jerk Nice around.

I’d also add, it’s not particularly great for the player either. Todibo has openly wanted Juventus, but because they’re playing games he has no idea where he’ll be playing yet and the season is almost starting. I wouldn’t blame him for saying “f*** it” and moving to West Ham where he’ll move to London and gets to play in the PL.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

mfilipo3

Jan 13, 2017
They’ve had weeks to agree with Nice. This is more legacy clubs trying to nickel and dime clubs because they have the leverage of players wanting to join them. So I tend to this one as more just desserts than anything. Juventus have plenty of money, they’re just trying to jerk Nice around.

I’d also add, it’s not particularly great for the player either. Todibo has openly wanted Juventus, but because they’re playing games he has no idea where he’ll be playing yet and the season is almost starting. I wouldn’t blame him for saying “f*** it” and moving to West Ham where he’ll move to London and gets to play in the PL.
@Evilo what’s the scouting report on Todibo? I haven’t had a chance to watch him since his Schalke days.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Incredible half season last year. Totally dominant, at ease with the ball, shutdown defenseman without. Dominant in the air and with his feet.
Then at half season things changed a bit. Made a few bad plays and his confidence wasn't that high.
Still the making of a super elite CB.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You know you'll get an immediate profile boost from signing (helpful in future career moves), and worst case scenario is that they end up on loan in another top league from which they can hopefully bounce off to a solid club on a permanent.

I think that must be it. Because the wages being offered in this enormous Chelsea spending spree have not been high. The one thing I will give BlueCo is that they have really diminished the wage bill, which made it very hard to move dinosaurs out.
Cobham as well. People underestimate how top class Chelsea's academy is and how beneficial it is for young players to train there. Chelsea isn't where you should go for game time though unless you join the loan army.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ah, so a bunch more rumors from “tier one” guys. Like I’ve said before, how many has Rahman got right? And this is the guy just a post ago you said was being fed by the club.

Not even sure why you’d post the first one. If they did indeed have a deal in place with his agent, and I’m skeptical of that, but if they did it simply DISPROVES your point.

As for the rest of it, AGAIN, simply speculation and by your “tier one” guys no less who either like yourself can’t understand a very straightforward situation where the players is at the Euro, then on vacation and only only this week back or who are simply trying to get attention because they have nothing else. Like I said, any expectation of anything concrete prior to this week is just plain stupid. To say that Deco’s handling of the transfer is abysmal reeks of woeful ignorance. That’s not to mention believing everything fed to you, on X no less, without a remote ability to discern what to actually believe on your own because you lack the ability to think critically.

Rahman doesn't get anything right he just passes on information from actual journalists who he engages with at the bottom of his tweets are the ones he's citing. Fab was the one who said, it doesn't disproves my point at all. They wasted their time on a player who they didnt know if he was available. They're the ones who feed the likes of Romero. If this was a one off I wouldnt think anything of it but since Laporta came back are transfers have become a spectacle in themselves with drama, last minute turns and twists. Go back and see Kounde Laporta outright said he's not coming with Romero basically calling his bluff it was all for show.

@Duchene2MacKinnon And I’ll just add, your whole notion of “wasting time” is also ridiculous. Again, assuming personal terms have even been agreed, then it makes more sense to have them agreed ahead of time. That way you know you’re not wasting your time waiting for the player who won’t be back for weeks and who was rumored to have other competitive suitors.

Now if you want to slate Deco or whomever else for not moving on players exits/sales in the past few weeks, have at it, you won’t have any disagreement from me apart from a potential disagreement about which players should leave.

EDIT: And that Romeu loan move was rumored prior to it happening. In fact he’s been linked with Girona for some time who additionally have been very busy this window. Can’t fathom how anyone would think that move came out of the blue.
I cant remember reading anything about Romeu getting shipped out but what ever not really the point.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Thing is they're paying 20 mil for a lot of unproven prospects.
Yeah, that’s private equity.

There is a huge difference though in dealing with companies than with human being. I am not so sure for instance that all signed players are fine with having 3 or 4 new players at their position joining in. I know people will say it's business and they are professional that agreed to sign that contract but I also believe that stability and feeling backed is an important piece in players development. Not so sure how Petrovic for instance see these new signings as positive from his perspective.
I’m not defending it

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Rahman doesn't get anything right he just passes on information from actual journalists who he engages with at the bottom of his tweets are the ones he's citing. Fab was the one who said, it doesn't disproves my point at all. They wasted their time on a player who they didnt know if he was available. They're the ones who feed the likes of Romero. If this was a one off I wouldnt think anything of it but since Laporta came back are transfers have become a spectacle in themselves with drama, last minute turns and twists. Go back and see Kounde Laporta outright said he's not coming with Romero basically calling his bluff it was all for show.

I cant remember reading anything about Romeu getting shipped out but what ever not really the point.

Of course he’s available. He has a release clause. Every player with a release clause is available. If you’re referring to his being interested in coming as his being “available”, then it’s simple. Why is his agent agreeing terms with the club? So either his agent is speaking for the player without the player’s consent, the player consented to the deal or the player has since changed his mind. Of course that’s assuming we agreed personal terms with his agent. As for the rest of it, it’s like I said, your fault for getting caught up in the Williams saga when it was OBVIOUS nothing would be decided until he returns. If blaming Laporta or Deco helps you get through the night, then I guess more power to you.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Retegui to Atalanta for 22 mil, in another of their wtf moves this year. No idea what they're doing, Retegui is always injured and crap when he isn't.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
1723202897814.png

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Not sure who else is available at that position who is clearly better, it's not a slam dunk for sure.
I was expecting them to sign Jonathan David. There were some links, he was available for a fair deal due to his contract and he's still young. Just like countless other players they sign.

Feels weird for the club to spend big money on somebody that's almost 27.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad