Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Veiga was bought as a backup to Cucurella, who will be playing as an inverted fullback/wingback (i.e. where the CB or DM slots in possession). He can also fill in other places if needed.

This isn't hard.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
So, Chelsea bought an awful player to allow Atletico to buy a superior player in his place?
that appears to be correct, yep.

i don't think i've watched a single minute of Omoriodon, so i'm deferring to other people's judgement on this. but i'll just say that if we were gonna buy an unproven 20 year old forward (something i did not want) i would've rather we had just committed to the bit and gone for Jhon Duran as had previously been rumoured lmao

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
but it all betrays the very silly faulty and (crucially) uninformed by how sports work logic at the basis of everything blueco has done: load up on prospects and they'll develop and you'll be set.

finance bros think of a prospect as an asset, but not just in the purely financial sense which has been widely discussed (player has this value which will increase and we can resell). they also think that prospects develop like assets develop, without the contingencies that are required to produce that development. you can buy a house and sit on it and forces totally external to you will increase the value of that house. they do not understand that prospect development requires a lot of things to go right and requires a lot of active work. a key component of that active work is surrounding prospects with experienced players who can provide guidance.

chelsea! need! veterans! CHELSEA! NEED! VETERANS!

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
but it all betrays the very silly faulty and (crucially) uninformed by how sports work logic at the basis of everything blueco has done: load up on prospects and they'll develop and you'll be set.

finance bros think of a prospect as an asset, but not just in the purely financial sense which has been widely discussed (player has this value which will increase and we can resell). they also think that prospects develop like assets develop, without the contingencies that are required to produce that development. you can buy a house and sit on it and forces totally external to you will increase the value of that house. they do not understand that prospect development requires a lot of things to go right and requires a lot of active work. a key component of that active work is surrounding prospects with experienced players who can provide guidance.

chelsea! need! veterans! CHELSEA! NEED! VETERANS!
In theory, convince Osimhen to agree to a loan with purchase obligation with a wage structure that is somewhat dependent on performance, so that he still nets his demands. We get our vet, but then it just further calls into question the Omorodion deal.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
that appears to be correct, yep.

i don't think i've watched a single minute of Omoriodon, so i'm deferring to other people's judgement on this. but i'll just say that if we were gonna buy an unproven 20 year old forward (something i did not want) i would've rather we had just committed to the bit and gone for Jhon Duran as had previously been rumoured lmao
I don't think Man City is selling Alvarez to a rival EPL club, but you lot could've gone in for freakin' Jonathan David over Omoriodon at this point, and I am not a David fan.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
In theory, convince Osimhen to agree to a loan with purchase obligation with a wage structure that is somewhat dependent on performance, so that he still nets his demands. We get our vet, but then it just further calls into question the Omorodion deal.
nah, f*** that.

he's not a vet either! he's 25! and the star power (regardless of whether or not it is earned in on-pitch play - he's a player i like but i could see it being bad) will carry too much clout.

we have a striker who is fully capable of being a top striker for a team that finishes top 4, alongside a second striker with a great track record who was dangerous in the bursts of health he had last year and an attacking midfielder with a slipperiness that is hard to deal with (although i worry about him being negatively impacted by the hyper-structuredness of Sr. Maresca).

goals are just simply not the problem in this team. we scored more last year than we have in all but, like, three seasons in the PL era. we scored more than we did in most of our title winning seasons.

I don't think Man City is selling Alvarez to a rival EPL club, but you lot could've gone in for freakin' Jonathan David over Omoriodon at this point, and I am not a David fan.
screw alvarez and screw david! the last thing this team needs to do is spend tons of money on an upgrade at striker!

Reactions: Blender

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Ezequiel Fernandez, the only Argentinian who impressed me against France in the Olympic squad unfortunately signs for a second tier Saudi club for almost 19 million. Such a shame, he's only 22 and he's gonna play with a bunch of no names and has beens like Auba and Nacho

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
nah, f*** that.

he's not a vet either! he's 25! and the star power (regardless of whether or not it is earned in on-pitch play - he's a player i like but i could see it being bad) will carry too much clout.

we have a striker who is fully capable of being a top striker for a team that finishes top 4, alongside a second striker with a great track record who was dangerous in the bursts of health he had last year and an attacking midfielder with a slipperiness that is hard to deal with (although i worry about him being negatively impacted by the hyper-structuredness of Sr. Maresca).

goals are just simply not the problem in this team. we scored more last year than we have in all but, like, three seasons in the PL era. we scored more than we did in most of our title winning seasons.

screw alvarez and screw david! the last thing this team needs to do is spend tons of money on an upgrade at striker!
I agree, just get a cheap reliable vet like when we got Giroud.

It's crazy that being 25 would make him one of our oldest players.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I agree, just get a cheap reliable vet like when we got Giroud.

It's crazy that being 25 would make him one of our oldest players.
we didn't need to spend a cent this summer, tbh.

we finished 5 points off fourth, while experiencing major growing pains throughout most of the season, and without a guy who was meant to be our star player for basically the whole season, our captain for basically the whole season, and (potentially) our best centre back for half the season. no overhauls necessary! if the season had lasted even three more matchweeks we would've finished fourth.

instead we're run by idiots! so there's no year-to-year consistency, we're doing another full overhaul which will require more transition and more growing pains.

we could've had our only signings this summer be, like, Joselu and Hojbjerg, and we would've been set

but alas

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

we finished 5 points off fourth, while experiencing major growing pains throughout most of the season, and without a guy who was meant to be our star player for basically the whole season, our captain for basically the whole season, and (potentially) our best centre back for half the season. no overhauls necessary! if the season had lasted even three more matchweeks we would've finished fourth.

instead we're run by idiots! so there's no year-to-year consistency, we're doing another full overhaul which will require more transition and more growing pains.

we could've had our only signings this summer be, like, Joselu and Hojbjerg, and we would've been set

but alas
Especially when guys like Lavia are more or less new additions.

Reactions: maclean

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
This is a great signing for them, even though I get your doubts about him playing for Cholo. I genuinely think they just became contenders for La Liga, like real contenders.

By the way, they have spent almost 200 million euros net spending. Where is the FFP for them?
Playing for Cholo is a hazard for most footballers. I think he’s safe but he won’t be able to hit his potential. They’re not winning shit lol

Selling some kid to chelski helps. We still have Langlet on the team

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

but alas
This is why pushing Gallagher to accept a transfer was extra f***ing dumb as well. I'd say it's likely Maresca only lasts a season or two and the next manager will probably have a different philosophy again.

Might as well have kept Potter at this rate.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Playing for Cholo is a hazard for most footballers. I think he’s safe but he won’t be able to hit his potential. They’re not winning shit lol

Selling some kid to chelski helps. We still have Langlet on the team
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Look at their signings.
Massive upgrades with Julian and Sorloth over Morata and Correa.
Gallagher and Le Normand.
Samu Lino should take another step forward (he's already a fantastic player), Barrios as well.

I think you're underrating them. They only lost Savic and Hermoso, and Le Normand is a more realiable player than them. Their only weak point is Gimenez health

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Look at their signings.
Massive upgrades with Julian and Sorloth over Morata and Correa.
Gallagher and Le Normand.
Samu Lino should take another step forward (he's already a fantastic player), Barrios as well.

I think you're underrating them. They only lost Savic and Hermoso, and Le Normand is a more realiable player than them. Their only weak point is Gimenez health
They could sign Medina to shore up LCB. He needs to move on.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
This is why pushing Gallagher to accept a transfer was extra f***ing dumb as well. I'd say it's likely Maresca only lasts a season or two and the next manager will probably have a different philosophy again.

Might as well have kept Potter at this rate.
Would be typical Chelsea to do this.

Club needs some consistency, it really feels like they playing FM but with mediocre results instead of winning most of your competitions ;)

Selling Gallagher to fund Omorodion is one of the dumbest things I've seen in the last years. And being a Barça fan I've seen plenty

Reactions: Blender and luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7