Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And the season before he was primarily a LB and CB, which fits with why he was purchased for the inverted LB role as throughout 90 minutes, he'll play the role of CDM, LB, and LCB. That's why Chilwell is on the outs because he doesn't fit Maresca's system.
Right so he’s a part of the midfield group. If Chilwell goes I highly doubt that it has to do with Veiga. And also I wouldn’t be going all in on a manger style because there is zero reason to assume he will be there multiple years

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Was thinking the same thing. Recency bias means we've memory holed how good Lukaku was when he was on it
Motivated Lukaku was a menace.
Ok good remark :D

Best case not as good as prime Lukaku but better than current one.

He is a physical force but technically... Ouch every single game
Prime lukaku was actually pretty good technically. At his best was when he had a partner he can link up with. The issue with him was that he hardly cared. Got fat and touch went to shit.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Right so he’s a part of the midfield group. If Chilwell goes I highly doubt that it has to do with Veiga. And also I wouldn’t be going all in on a manger style because there is zero reason to assume he will be there multiple years
No. He's on the squad as a primary LB, but in the system, it means he'll also play CDM or LCB thoughout the game. That's where he's played in pre-season, and why he was purchased. He'd not in the role that Lavia is playing as the playmaking #6 or one of the attacking 8s.

And that's what we do, it's why we are purchasing another goalkeeper after purchasing 2 last season. We also have Directors that choose managers with styles that drastically differ from each other. It's why we also have a very flawed squad and bloated squad.

Reactions: Blender

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Despite the protestations of a bozo on HF, this signing was universally characterized by insiders as a CB/LB signing who could fill in at DM if needed. I’m gonna take that over a guy who looks at Transfermarkt and claims to have a full picture of a player he’s never watched.

But also… how would him being at LB/LCB, which over the course of the game inverts him into the middle, make him part of the midfield group? Is Gvardiol part of City’s midfield group? He’s not competing for minutes with any of our midfielders, he’s competing for minutes with Colwill, Cucurella, and Chilwell. What are you even talking about man?

Reactions: Peen and Blender

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Despite the protestations of a bozo on HF, this signing was universally characterized by insiders as a CB/LB signing who could fill in at DM if needed. I’m gonna take that over a guy who looks at Transfermarkt and claims to have a full picture of a player he’s never watched.

But also… how would him being at LB/LCB, which over the course of the game inverts him into the middle, make him part of the midfield group? Is Gvardiol part of City’s midfield group? He’s not competing for minutes with any of our midfielders, he’s competing for minutes with Colwill, Cucurella, and Chilwell. What are you even talking about man?
Even Transfermarkt has him down as LB/CB/CDM, so in the context of Gallagher replacement, no he was not.

Renato Veiga - Player profile 24/25

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I am talking about buying a player, that played predominantly as a midfielder last season, to play in a completely different role. I don’t think there is anything really controversial about that.

Player who played in midfield last season has opening to replace minutes of outgoing midfielder. I’m not the one who thinks that’s a revolutionary concept here

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I am talking about buying a player, that played predominantly as a midfielder last season, to play in a completely different role. I don’t think there is anything really controversial about that.

Player who played in midfield last season has opening to replace minutes of outgoing midfielder. I’m not the one who thinks that’s a revolutionary concept here
The funniest aspect of this is that - even if we accept the premise that he was signed as a midfielder (we shouldn’t) - the sheer amount of obtuseness required to flatten into “he’s a midfielder and Gallagher’s a midfielder ergo one-for-one” is extraordinary. It would be like saying (to put in Liverpool language that maybe you’ll understand, although I won’t bank on it) that Cody Gakpo had an opening to replace the minutes of Fabinho.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The funniest aspect of this is that - even if we accept the premise that he was signed as a midfielder (we shouldn’t) - the sheer amount of obtuseness required to flatten into “he’s a midfielder and Gallagher’s a midfielder ergo one-for-one” is extraordinary. It would be like saying (to put in Liverpool language that maybe you’ll understand, although I won’t bank on it) that Cody Gakpo had an opening to replace the minutes of Fabinho.
We shouldn’t accept that a player who primarily played midfielder last season, (and the majority of his career) is an option for midfield minutes. Got it. Your example of Gakpo replacing Fabinho minutes, is much closer to what Chelsea are doing in reality of this is the case.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
He played as a f***ing defensive 6, and every single person who actually knows things about this transfer rather than vomiting out shit based on Whoscored minutes has said that he was signed to play as a CB or LB.

Gallagher was a high pressing 8. So even if Veiga was brought in to play the exact position he had at Basel (defensive 6), it wouldn’t be to replace Gallagher, who played as a high pressing 8 and not as a 6.

I don’t know why this is so hard to comprehend, unless your understanding of football is based on “in FIFA they’re all just called CM”

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We shouldn’t accept that a player who primarily played midfielder last season, (and the majority of his career) is an option for midfield minutes. Got it. Your example of Gakpo replacing Fabinho minutes, is much closer to what Chelsea are doing in reality of this is the case.
Are you just trolling or seriously under the belief that Veiga will play in the same areas of the pitch as Gallagher did?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Gallagher’s ‘replacement’ appears to be Dewsbury Hall, who is a very stylistically different player but actually plays in the same part of the field as him. Which Veiga does not.
Which again goes back to my point that the original tweet was framed bad.
So, trolling, thanks.
It’s not trolling to say a guy that played midfielder last year is an option to play midfielder this year. You are the one that said he was so versatile. Gallagher wasn’t a winger or a #10 last time I checked, neither was Veiga. Both played minutes in a double pivot last season. Why is this trolling?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Which again goes back to my point that the original tweet was framed bad.

It’s not trolling to say a guy that played midfielder last year is an option to play midfielder this year. You are the one that said he was so versatile.
Versatile to play 3 specific positions that do not play in the areas that Gallagher played.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
But he also played in areas that Gallagher played too. And more recently than he played left back
It's almost like we can look at their heat maps and realize that they don't play in the same areas, and we can see that one is primarily on the defensive side and the other can be viewed as the entire pitch that leans more attacking.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's almost like we can look at their heat maps and realize that they don't play in the same areas, and we can see that one is primarily on the defensive side and the other can be viewed as the entire pitch that leans more attacking.
That can come down to tactics too. Gallagher is pretty box to box so I don’t doubt his heat map is more red, but again these are both players who primary operate in center areas.

I don’t know why yall are getting so mad about this. You are telling me this guy Veiga is versatile, and now you are telling me he is a 6. And before you are telling me he is a left back. So what he’s a left back who doesn’t have to do any fullback stuff because he will invert and is actually a 6 because of a heat map?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That can come down to tactics too. Gallagher is pretty box to box so I don’t doubt his heat map is more red, but again these are both players who primary operate in center areas.

I don’t know why yall are getting so mad about this. You are telling me this guy Veiga is versatile, and now you are telling me he is a 6. And before you are telling me he is a left back. So what he’s a left back who doesn’t have to do any fullback stuff because he will invert and is actually a 6 because of a heat map?
We've been consistent in saying that he's a LB/LCB/CDM. He was purchased because the system that Maresca uses needs the LB or RB to be capable of playing at least 2 of those, and since Chilwell is not suited for that role, that's why he was targeted. I don't understand what is complicated about this. Depending on who plays LB and RB in a given game, one will essentially rotate between LB/RB and CDM and the other will play LB/RB and CB.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7