Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
“Er bleibt”

How is marseille looking around him?

Also BVB are reportedly looking to reinvest the Füllkrug & Moukoko money into Beier
De Zerbi.
And then they acquired Brassier who had a great season last year. Hojbjerg, Koné, Cornelius, Carboni on loan and are trying to find a goalie.
They have had an impressive window.
They lost Auba and Clauss and are trying to sell Mbemba.

Reactions: cgf

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The two teams in the EPL that play 4 CBs also scored the most goals in the league last year. It's amazing that other fans have actually tried to clown Arsenal for being defensive because we've brought in a bunch of tall and athletic players, when in actuality we're still better offensively than any team besides City.
and you scored only a few more goals than Conte's Chelsea did when they won the title

my point is simply that "he wishes he could field a lineup of eleven centre backs" is a strange line of attack on Conte coming from a fan of a team that fields an enormous amount of centre backs, especially given that when Conte teams cook they're extremely dynamic offensively

Reactions: Peen

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The two teams in the EPL that play 4 CBs also scored the most goals in the league last year. It's amazing that other fans have actually tried to clown Arsenal for being defensive because we've brought in a bunch of tall and athletic players, when in actuality we're still better offensively than any team besides City.
I mean Arsenal’s offense was largely carried by being very good at set pieces. Which is helped by being tall. I don’t think Arsenal is a great offensive team. I think they are a great set piece team. I think there is a difference. Everton scored one less set piece goal than they did and no one thinks Everton is an offensive juggernaut.

This is a credit to Arsenal and it works pretty good for them. But tactically in open play I don’t think this is a great offensive team, and I don’t think it’s very likely they score as many goals this season as they did last season. Sure I could be wrong, Arsenal could very well score 20 (or more) set pieces again this season too. But I still think they (and City) are very risk adverse. Mourinho and Conte all had teams that scored a lot of goals too. Arsenal might think their route to scoring more goals is getting taller and playing more pinball, and that might be true; but I don’t think that makes them a great offensive team (but they don’t have to be either)

Reactions: luiginb

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I mean Arsenal’s offense was largely carried by being very good at set pieces. Which is helped by being tall. I don’t think Arsenal is a great offensive team. I think they are a great set piece team. I think there is a difference. Everton scored one less set piece goal than they did and no one thinks Everton is an offensive juggernaut.

This is a credit to Arsenal and it works pretty good for them. But tactically in open play I don’t think this is a great offensive team, and I don’t think it’s very likely they score as many goals this season as they did last season. Sure I could be wrong, Arsenal could very well score 20 (or more) set pieces again this season too. But I still think they (and City) are very risk adverse. Mourinho and Conte all had teams that scored a lot of goals too. Arsenal might think their route to scoring more goals is getting taller and playing more pinball, and that might be true; but I don’t think that makes them a great offensive team (but they don’t have to be either)
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about. We had 4 more set piece goals than City. Was their offense largely carried by set pieces then too? We had marginally more reliance on set piece scoring than the other top teams, and you're acting like we score zero goals from open play lol. If you really think that Arsenal is not a great offensive team from open play, then please tell me which teams are, because they are not nearly as reliant on set pieces as you seem to think.

For all of the 4 CBs talk - the two guys that you're all calling CBs playing fullback each had more goal contributions last season than:
  • All but 4 players on Chelsea
  • All but 5 players on Man United
  • All but 6 players on Spurs
  • all but 6 players on Aston Villa
  • All but 7 players on Man City
  • All but 8 players on Liverpool

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Gabriel Sara from Norwich to Galatasaray for 18 mil. One of the best players in the Championship last year, and a biiiig sum for Turkish football, who usually go for over the hill star players, not up and coming ones.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We do score a lot of goals from set pieces, but it's not like we are forced to win games based on them, like Mourinho's Chelsea.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Devastating.

He'll kill it under Simeone and will get to play in the CL with a great manager while Chelsea plays in the Conference League with a Championship manager.
The Venn diagram of Chelsea fans with crocodile tears about Gallagher leaving and then complaining about still not have enough new signings despite having more signings than most the other teams in the planet is a flat circle. The sadness over Gallagher leaving is so fake

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The Venn diagram of Chelsea fans with crocodile tears about Gallagher leaving and then complaining about still not have enough new signings despite having more signings than most the other teams in the planet is a flat circle. The sadness over Gallagher leaving is so fake
Any way we can push up your departure date lol

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Any way we can push up your departure date lol
Like Chelsea sped up Gallagher’s departure so Atletico didn’t walk?

Don’t worry I’m done before the new season kicks off. I’ll be at the beach not even watching MW1. Enjoy while you can

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Locate the posts where I have complained about not having enough signing and link it here. I'll wait.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I usually agree with your posts but I've seen no such things. Chelsea fans are up in arms about how the club has been managed lately.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
7vov93o6usgd1.jpeg

Womp womp.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Or even just on this site, I think all of us Chelsea fans were very high on the performances of Gallagher last season, and are not happy with him leaving. If we could do it again, I'd rather have him on the squad and one of Enzo or Caicedo not purchased.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
De Zerbi.
And then they acquired Brassier who had a great season last year. Hojbjerg, Koné, Cornelius, Carboni on loan and are trying to find a goalie.
They have had an impressive window.
They lost Auba and Clauss and are trying to sell Mbemba.

With Lille (reportedly) trying to hijack the deal, which do you think would be a better spot for him?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00