Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Zirkzee is just a really tall untalented guy. So you love to see this.
I don't think "untalented" is the right word. He has some talent/ability. It's just not the profile of striker that's going to make Man United a title contender again.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
apparently there's Saudi interest in Diaby. Looking at around 60m
Saudi can outbid any of the European teams for their players, they can easily buy Saka and Saliba from us in seconds. However, that doesn't mean they will be willing to go, it's all up to the player.

Reactions: JPBolts

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

Looks pretty talented. Seems to have the exact attribut Rashford has been missing: doesn't hang on to the ball too long, quick decision making, decent passer.
I'm sure a "Welcome to Manchester United" video makes him look like a ballon d'or winner. He's talented at dribbling, hold up play, and running into space, but he can't finish chances. He's a poor man's Havertz.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm sure a "Welcome to Manchester United" video makes him look like a ballon d'or winner. He's talented at dribbling and running into space, but he can't finish chances. He's a poor man's Havertz.
Tbf we have plenty of guys who are primarily finishers, but no one really outside Bruno who is a playmaker or creates chances consistently for our forwards. Now I’m not gonna pretend I know a ton about Zirkzee and his abilities, but supposedly he’s a good facilitator which would theoretically match up well with Hojlund, Garnacho, and Rashford. But obviously need to see it on the field before saying it’s a great move.

Reactions: Gecklund and Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm sure a "Welcome to Manchester United" video makes him look like a ballon d'or winner. He's talented at dribbling, hold up play, and running into space, but he can't finish chances. He's a poor man's Havertz.
Based on scouting reports and player profile, he wasn't brought in to be a 20+ goal scorer. Of course with RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD coaching the forwards, one should expect better results with the finishing department but I would not be surprised if he ends up more like 10-15 goals and 10+ assists per season type of a player.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Tbf we have plenty of guys who are primarily finishers, but no one really outside Bruno who is a playmaker or creates chances consistently for our forwards. Now I’m not gonna pretend I know a ton about Zirkzee and his abilities, but supposedly he’s a good facilitator which would theoretically match up well with Hojlund, Garnacho, and Rashford. But obviously need to see it on the field before saying it’s a great move.
Wait, I have been told a million times by Jussi that he's a backup to Hojlund. How are they going to be able to play at the same time on the pitch?

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Based on scouting reports and player profile, he wasn't brought in to be a 20+ goal scorer. Of course with RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD coaching the forwards, one should expect better results with the finishing department but I would not be surprised if he ends up more like 10-15 goals and 10+ assists per season type of a player.
You may have plenty of guys that are primarily finishers, but are any of them top quality? Rashford and Garnacho had 7 goals each last year. Hojlund had 10 goals and he's the guy Zirkzee will be competing with unless you plan to play 2 strikers or move him to the wing.

We listened to Jussi complain about being hamstrung by FFP all last year, and now you've spent 40M on an average player that's not in a position of need. I'm one to say that the order you bring players in during the window doesn't really matter (assuming you still address your needs - e.g. Havertz before Rice for us last summer), but Man United has a ton of needs to fill and an average striker wasn't one of them.

Like LITN said, us fans of the other EPL teams are glad to see it.

Reactions: maclean

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You may have plenty of guys that are primarily finishers, but are any of them top quality? Rashford and Garnacho had 7 goals each last year. Hojlund had 10 goals and he's the guy Zirkzee will be competing with unless you plan to play 2 strikers or move him to the wing.

We listened to Jussi complain about being hamstrung by FFP all last year, and now you've spent 40M on an average player that's not in a position of need. I'm one to say that the order you bring players in during the window doesn't really matter (assuming you still address your needs - e.g. Havertz before Rice for us last summer), but Man United has a ton of needs to fill and an average striker wasn't one of them.

Like LITN said, us fans of the other EPL teams are glad to see it.
I’m not saying he was a desperate need(granted we literally have 1 striker signed for next season), but the stats for Hojlund receiving balls in the attacking 18 were horrendous. Doesn’t matter how good or bad his finishing is if he never gets the ball in threatening areas.

If he’s our only signing that would obviously be a problem, but considering he’s coming along with supposedly 2 CB’s, a CDM, and LB.

Reactions: Jussi

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He scored 9 non-penalties in a high scoring league. Now honestly because he's Dutch I was afraid we'd want him too so I'm happy about that.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He scored 9 non-penalties in a high scoring league. Now honestly because he's Dutch I was afraid we'd want him too so I'm happy about that.
I mean from what I’m seeing he’s has/going to be utilized in a Firmino type role. Where he’s supposed to complement the other attackers not be the primary goal threat. Again plenty to be seen whether or not it works but I can understand the move.

Isn't that a Bruno problem?
So Bruno should be the only player on the roster capable of being a playmaker?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Besides rolling around the pitch with twenty broken legs and constantly whining to the refs, what is he supposed to be for you lot if he's not using his playmaking strengths?
Not sure why I expected you to understand the point I’m trying to make.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Never said he'd be exclusive that. He seems to be the type who can play with Rasmus as well.
Should have bought Gakpo instead if you want somebody to link up play.

Oh I understand, your point is that Man United needs to make more links with better talent and teamwork across the pitch as Bruno shouldn't be the only one to make those key passes. Trust me, I know my friend...But that doesn't mean I can't have some fun while we're at it. :D

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean it’s your own fault. United should clearly win or compete by just having one playmaker and one striker… I rag on united a lot but getting another player to take pressure off Bruno isn’t something rival fans can laugh at.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Is there any reason to think RVN is actually good at coaching forwards other than the simple assumption that because he was a forward, he'd be good at it?

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad