Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Rothe did kill it in BuLi2 last season...but yeah, that's rough. Even if I think Nmecha will be a lot better in year 2 than he was in year 1.
After seeing the final number it does make a bit more sense. 45 million is a lot for Dortmund. I'd figure they started having second thoughts when it started becoming over 40m. IIRC Chelsea's asking price was initially around 35m but it obviously steadily increased after each UCL game. I still think it probably would've been worth it to pay that extra and maybe sacrifice some depth.

This might be quite a pivotal season for Schlotterbeck. With both Maatsen and Hummels out he'll be the leader of that backline. And with Reus out too the team loses two key figures when it comes to the leadership of that team. It'll be interesting to see how he takes on that challenge.

I wasn't able to catch too many of Rothe's last this season, but I've only read good things about him. Do you think he's ready to have a full year in the Bundesliga, or should Dortmund find another LB to ease the pressure for him? I've seen Ferdi Kadioglu's name a few times out there after the Maatsen deal fell through.

Last edited:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Don't Dortmund also have Bensebaini to play LB?

Anyway in other interesting transfer news:

Quinones to Saudi for 13+ mil
Glushenkov to Zenit for 6+ mil
Matheus Pereira to Cruzeiro for 12 mil

Reactions: Eye of Ra

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Don't Dortmund also have Bensebaini to play LB?
They do, but since Maatsen's arrival he (like every single one of Dortmund's depth defenders apart from maybe Süle) has gotten essentially zero playing time. I don't think the team sees him as someone who should be starting too many games. Ryerson also started the season as a LB, but switched to RB after Maatsen came to the team since he was better at RB than either Wolf or Meunier who are natural RB's. I think I prefer Ryerson staying at the right side since I think his offense is a little underrated and I'd rather have his better right food available for those crosses.

Although Ryerson playing at LB did give us this beautiful goal early in the season at 1:30. Also in the previous clip you'll see one of the reasons why Bensebaini doesn't get trust from the team. :laugh:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He was injured quite a bit, but he had maybe 7-8 games with Dortmund in 2024 where he was healthy (or healthier?), most of which he spent sitting on the bench.

I think March onwards he was out for good. A left back was always their biggest priority in January's transfer window so I don't think he would've had much time anyway even if he was fully healthy.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
He was injured quite a bit, but he had maybe 7-8 games with Dortmund in 2024 where he was healthy (or healthier?), most of which he spent sitting on the bench.

I think March onwards he was out for good. A left back was always their biggest priority in January's transfer window so I don't think he would've had much time anyway even if he was fully healthy.
I'm surprised, he always looked like a quality player for his NT and the other Borussia, and a gung ho leader type

Reactions: JoVel

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm surprised, he always looked like a quality player for his NT and the other Borussia, and a gung ho leader type
In his defense, he played most of his games in the early season Dortmund that was still figuring out what they wanted to be. Still entirely possible he finds his legs next season. Some stability would probably benefit him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
After seeing the final number it does make a bit more sense. 45 million is a lot for Dortmund. I'd figure they started having second thoughts when it started becoming over 40m. IIRC Chelsea's asking price was initially around 35m but it obviously steadily increased after each UCL game. I still think it probably would've been worth it to pay that extra and maybe sacrifice some depth.

This might be quite a pivotal season for Schlotterbeck. With both Maatsen and Hummels out he'll be the leader of that backline. And with Reus out too the team loses two key figures when it comes to the leadership of that team. It'll be interesting to see how he takes on that challenge.

I wasn't able to catch too many of Rothe's last this season, but I've only read good things about him. Do you think he's ready to have a full year in the Bundesliga, or should Dortmund find another LB to ease the pressure for him? I've seen Ferdi Kadioglu's name a few times out there after the Maatsen deal fell through.

I don’t think he’s ready to start for you, but who knows. His BuLi2 campaign was just as impressive as Raum’s was before he shined for Hoffenheim. So maybe he’s ready to platoon for you?

I dunno what to make of Rothe yet. Kid’s huge for a wing back and he has a great left foot, so I’m very interested in how he develops, but I don’t have a strong read on him yet.

Reactions: JoVel

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Bensebaini was injured since December.

He was just bad for Dortmund. Like way worse than he ever was for Gladbach. More dumb decisions, worse defensive focus, and less decisive contributions. Maybe he was just trying to hard to make an impact, but it did look a little like Draxler in Paris or Dahoud after he got his Dortmund move.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

They had a €35M release clause specific to them. They just chose not to exercise it.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
They had a €35M release clause specific to them. They just chose not to exercise it.
Yeah I looked it up, 35 million pounds, not euros. So it was initially €40m+ as well. f***ing Brits and their dumb currencies get me mixed up.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Will be interesting who United end up going for in their hunt for a new CB. Unless Everton drop their demand, Branthwaite seems to be too expensive for INEOS, Todibo can't move right now and Yoro seems Madrid bound.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hummels replacement looks like it will be Anton from Stuttgatrt. Shame that team is going to get broken up

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Couldn’t afford 65MM olise but we could afford 58MM Sesko?

Huh?

Sad about this because I really wanted him. He’s awesome. We would have scored a lot of goals this season with Nkunku/Olise/Palmer in behind a striker

Reactions: Blender and luiginb

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Couldn’t afford 65MM olise but we could afford 58MM Sesko?

Huh?

Sad about this because I really wanted him. He’s awesome. We would have scored a lot of goals this season with Nkunku/Olise/Palmer in behind a striker
Again, transfer is not just the transfer fee. I am sure that Olisé is asking wages similar to Jadon Sancho. Especially if Man United are involved.

Reactions: Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It's the wages, not the fee.

Again, transfer is not just the transfer fee. I am sure that Olisé is asking wages similar to Jadon Sancho. Especially if Man United are involved.
Sorry, I get this. I was making an assumption that since they were pursuing this over multiple years that they’d know the wage demands.

FWIW, this would be close to 400k p/w. Razz makes 350 i thijk

How is there this much of a knowledge gap? Certainly palace isn’t paying him that much

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sorry, I get this. I was making an assumption that since they were pursuing this over multiple years that they’d know the wage demands.

FWIW, this would be close to 400k p/w. Razz makes 350 i thijk

How is there this much of a knowledge gap? Certainly palace isn’t paying him that much
I agree with that. Why even bother pursuing him if you weren't willing to pay top dollar or know what his demands were.

• Love
Reactions: Blender and Peen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad