Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
If I were Jim Ratcliffe, I would potentially do a little bit of research into the unique (and recent) history that makes him treating the Manchester United Women's team like shit a particular flashpoint.

Reactions: KJS14

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Didn't Domestic Violence United pretend they were going to consider the women's team POV before deciding as to whether they'd try and re-integrate their rapist and then just didn't do that?

I know that was before Radcliffe (I think) but there's zero surprise there.

Reactions: KJS14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Alexander-Arnold being linked with Madrid again. Wouldn’t be surprised if joined them on a Bosman next Summer.
Completely LFC fault if that happensr. And it certainly could. It’s negligent that they didn’t extend him last season, ideally before the Klopp announcement. Arguably their four best players are in the same boat, and none of them are going to re-sign if they aren’t buying into the new regime. I mean if you had any kind of leverage with Trent you could try to sell him to Madrid, maybe do something resembling a swap, but LFC have badly mishandled this

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Completely LFC fault if that happensr. And it certainly could. It’s negligent that they didn’t extend him last season, ideally before the Klopp announcement. Arguably their four best players are in the same boat, and none of them are going to re-sign if they aren’t buying into the new regime. I mean if you had any kind of leverage with Trent you could try to sell him to Madrid, maybe do something resembling a swap, but LFC have badly mishandled this
I will not blame LFC. I will blame the player 100%. TAA runs his mouth last year in the media adding more pressure to the team who were challenging on all fronts while he was injured. He claims Liverpool is all he wants and becoming the captain and play for LFC all his career like Gerrard as his ultimate goal/dream. He won it all at LFC, it's not a situation like Harry Kane that the player who has never won a silverware for all his career. I am sorry but If he leaves on a free, it's all on him. LFC are not cheap with re-signing their players either.

That is Michael Owen 2.0. I know fans will put the blame on FSG but honestly f*** him, he wants to be with the new galacticos project and with his good friend Bellingham. That's not on FSG that is his own decision.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You have to consider Ratcliffe's age and the state where women's football was when he grew up. Heck, women's football was banned in the UK until the 1970s and was in the Olympics for the first time in 1996 and first FIFA WC was held in 1999.

Most people are stuck in their ways of thinking by the age Ratcliffe was then.

So, it wouldn't be surprising if Ratcliffe doesn't care about women's football on personal level, but rather has interest in it from a business perspective.
To be fair, United's men's team has far more problems and those problems tend to trickle towards youth and women's teams in more ways than one. And from what I understand Berrada handled both men's and women's teams at City so I would not rule out him appointing someone to review the state of the women's team.

And I don't understand the fuss about selling Greenwood, the quicker United got rid of him the better and if someone paid money for him, even better. United are not in a financial position in the transfer market to donate 30 million to charity. If I've understood correctly, all singining in this window have included the money being pain in installments, not right away. Coupled with several reports of United needing to sell player to be able to buy more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I will not blame LFC. I will blame the player 100%. TAA runs his mouth last year in the media adding more pressure to the team who were challenging on all fronts while he was injured. He claims Liverpool is all he wants and becoming the captain and play for LFC all his career like Gerrard as his ultimate goal/dream. He won it all at LFC, it's not a situation like Harry Kane that the player who has never won a silverware for all his career. I am sorry but If he leaves on a free, it's all on him. LFC are not cheap with re-signing their players either.

That is Michael Owen 2.0. I know fans will put the blame on FSG but honestly f*** him, he wants to be with the new galacticos project and with his good friend Bellingham. That's not on FSG that is his own decision.
They didn’t offer him a contract. He can’t sign a contract if there’s no contract

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
They didn’t offer him a contract. He can’t sign a contract if there’s no contract
Obviously if LFC do not offer him a contract he can leave but the assumption here is that he wants to join Real Madrid on a free which indicate he would refuse a new deal from LFC. He is also one of the highest paid player at the club. That's how Real Madrid operate now it seems, they will start one or two year ahead to unsettle a player so they can get them on a free or a significantly reduced cost. Quite scummy tactics from them but it's obvious Perez do not care about other clubs. He wants to use that Real Madrid brand to get all the most promising players on the planet.

Reactions: luiginb

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
United are not in a financial position in the transfer market to donate 30 million to charity. If I've understood correctly, all singining in this window have included the money being pain in installments, not right away. Coupled with several reports of United needing to sell player to be able to buy more.

Yeah, I wasn't blaming Radcliffe or United at all. Idealism and principles are all nice and well, when it's not your own money and ass on the line. Having worked for a company worth of billions today, lots of "ordinary" people think it doesn't matter if we throw away thousands (or let alone millions) here and there, and why can't we give them personally this or that for free or on discount.

The company didn't come what is today over the decades by making poor business decisions, and a few bad years can bring even the best of the companies on its' knees.

English football clubs have more going for them than almost any business in the world, thanks to their strong local communities, so even during a prolonged misery, they still have a hope of survival, see Sunderland for example.

I think Ratcliffe should be a great owner for United for a decade (or two, if he is able to stick around for that long), having learned how to run a successful business on another field.

But if somebody expexts him to think long-term legacy over short-term, I'd bet they're wrong. He has about 10-years to leave a lasting legacy in ManU history, no doubt he'll sacrifice almost everything to achieve that with the men's team.

Reactions: Jussi

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Santos going on loan again makes me less hopeful that Enzo's ass will get suspended for as long as it takes.

But I like Liam Rosenior and Santos played really well at Strasbourg down the stretch (at least everytime I watched them), so hopefully this'll be a good development move. Gotta keep making up for the "lost six months" he spent at f***ing Forest.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Obviously if LFC do not offer him a contract he can leave but the assumption here is that he wants to join Real Madrid on a free which indicate he would refuse a new deal from LFC. He is also one of the highest paid player at the club. That's how Real Madrid operate now it seems, they will start one or two year ahead to unsettle a player so they can get them on a free or a significantly reduced cost. Quite scummy tactics from them but it's obvious Perez do not care about other clubs. He wants to use that Real Madrid brand to get all the most promising players on the planet.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. Onus is on LFC to give him a contract. If he fulfills his contract and leaves he has the right to do that. LFC could have extended Trent at any time. They didn’t.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Moukoko meeting with the BVB staff. Hopefully he moves somewhere he can start regularly. At this stage in his career he needs the PT.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. Onus is on LFC to give him a contract. If he fulfills his contract and leaves he has the right to do that. LFC could have extended Trent at any time. They didn’t.
I disagree with that assumption that if you would have put any contract he would have signed it. It is pretty obvious that TAA had in mind his next contract at 26 years old as his most important in his career. I do not believe he would have re-signed last summer or even two years ago if given the choice. Now good on him on cashing in what is most likely his biggest payday. I also believe of the big 3 of VVD, Salah and TAA he will be the easiest to replace in the team. I wish they would sell him now but it seems obvious that Real Madrid will not offer any deal for him this summer and just get him on a free.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I disagree with that assumption that if you would have put any contract he would have signed it. It is pretty obvious that TAA had in mind his next contract at 26 years old as his most important in his career. I do not believe he would have re-signed last summer or even two years ago if given the choice. Now good on him on cashing in what is most likely his biggest payday. I also believe of the big 3 of VVD, Salah and TAA he will be the easiest to replace in the team. I wish they would sell him now but it seems obvious that Real Madrid will not offer any deal for him this summer and just get him on a free.
So they were supposed to do nothing then, and then watch him leave for free anyway? None of this is unique to Trent. Professional athletes sign the best contracts that they can for their career. What exactly is he supposed to do here?

They had a pretty clear window to sign him last year (if not earlier), but for whatever reason they didn’t make an effort. You say he would have signed any contract. Any contract is better than zero contract. There was nothing in front of him. I guess they didn’t want Schmadke doing extensions? And yeah, I mean if I was in Trent’s shoes I would want to see how the new regime shakes out before committing too. I’m not having that he would be easily replaced though. He’s still one of the best playmakers on the planet.

But also he was away with England and he’s on holiday now so signing an extension probably hasn’t been top of mind either. If he isn’t signed by Halloween then you get nervous. They can’t sell him now anyway, so buckle up

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
So they were supposed to do nothing then, and then watch him leave for free anyway? None of this is unique to Trent. Professional athletes sign the best contracts that they can for their career. What exactly is he supposed to do here?

They had a pretty clear window to sign him last year (if not earlier), but for whatever reason they didn’t make an effort. You say he would have signed any contract. Any contract is better than zero contract. There was nothing in front of him. I guess they didn’t want Schmadke doing extensions? And yeah, I mean if I was in Trent’s shoes I would want to see how the new regime shakes out before committing too. I’m not having that he would be easily replaced though. He’s still one of the best playmakers on the planet.

But also he was away with England and he’s on holiday now so signing an extension probably hasn’t been top of mind either. If he isn’t signed by Halloween then you get nervous. They can’t sell him now anyway, so buckle up
Nobody is ever going to be bigger than the club and TAA is certainly not that player, a great player but severely overrated by the local fanbase. I do not care if he leaves but at the sametime it would be sad to see a supposed childhood supporter leave the club that developed him into the player that he is now. I am no FSG and I do not manage contract or know all the inside info and I won't pretend I know but if he leaves so be it, that is life. That's his career, he decides what he wants next but it will certainly affect his legacy as LFC player. It could end up like a McManaman but certainly not like a Gerrard or even an Ian Rush.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Ange didn't like Hojberg but I expect him to kill it at OM with more defensively responsible midfielders behind him.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Re: Alexander-Arnold, Liverpool should have a serious discussion with his representatives NOW, this week, and figure it out. If they can’t come to an agreement tell him he’ll spend the season on the bench unless someone comes in for him.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Ange didn't like Hojberg but I expect him to kill it at OM with more defensively responsible midfielders behind him.
I don't necessarily think Ange disliked Hojbjerg as a player. It's just that he would rather play those who could be part of a longer-term project. Spurs should have sold Hojbjerg last summer really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad